Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"  (Read 10152 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 03:02:20 am »

Here's one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFJeDWdO-Wg

thanks! yeah doesn't seem those launchpad are something you build. also, massive lag on explosion is still there.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 07:57:56 am »

Yeah, jank like wheeled vehicles exploding and the wind blowing over rockets before (and after) launch is the main reason I gave up on the game.

And if they're doing the new under a new set of programmers, I'm guessing it will be prettier and buggier.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2019, 08:47:17 am »

wind blowing over rockets before (and after) launch is the main reason I gave up on the game.
Were you using mods? KSP doesn't have wind.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2019, 09:26:09 am »

Rotation of the planet? Whatever it was that caused rockets to fall over.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 10:34:41 am »

Lack of balanced design? no supports?

A stable rocket sitting there doesn't just fall for no reason. If it's top heavy it can tip over...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2019, 11:05:02 am »

A wobbly design might death wobble over while the physics are settling down, especially on a slower computer, but an unbalanced rocket sounds like the main culprit there.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic here.  I will never preorder a game ever so I'm waiting to see what it looks like after release, but good things could come of it.  I'm hoping for quality of life features, like some in game way to plan interplanetary flights that doesn't require mods.

I'm also kind of waiting to see what the impact is for the first game.  Do they plan to continue updating it?  Even provide bugfixes for it?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2019, 09:00:36 am »

Color me in as cautiously optimistic.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2019, 11:14:49 am »

Color me in as cautiously optimistic.
I was about to say that.

Granted, I feel like this is a definite cashgrab. It's just that if there's expansion of features that's halfway decent, it might actually be buyable.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2019, 12:19:14 pm »

Reading on the FAQ iirc, they said that Squad would continue work on the original KSP, so there's that. The gameplay trailer did look a bit rough, but as it says, early alpha footage, so hopefully there's lots of room for improvement, both in performance and scope.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2019, 12:18:10 pm »

Usually I saw that sort of thing when using big long rockets, when the physics kicks in sometimes they spring and wobble in weird ways, even if they're perfectly balanced.  The... rocket holder thingy... helped with that quite a bit, but it introduces some of its own issues.
And of course it's random and unpredictable. That same rocket might load and stay perfectly vertical the second time.

Wheels and wheeled vehicles just sucked, the tiniest thing would make them explode for seemingly no reason.

I still play KSP from time to time, I have a hard time imagining how they make something... new out of it.  Like, after you've gotten the idea of getting to orbit, controlling orbital distance, it's all the same thing. Whether I am carting parts to the mun, to minmus, wherever, it's the same basic loop.  Launch out of the atmosphere toward orbit, establish orbit, play around in the maneuver planner until I get it to go where I want, follow the flight plan, tweak a bit to correct for the result, pass a bunch of time. Sure, landing on a planet with atmosphere and high gravity is different than landing on minmus, but it's the same basic idea.

I mean, that's not a knock on KSP, any game runs out of unique stuff to do. I just have a hard time imagining how you make that new again. 

Being able to build and attach things separately would be fantastic, but mods do that now (poorly), and I won't pay full price just for some small features like that. On top of the fact that the new devs might just do a terrible job. 

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2019, 04:12:25 pm »

Attaching things is kind of a big feature, it expands gameplay quite a bit.
Ground bases is another big feature that changes and expands the gameplay a lot.
Both these things are things that mods have done, but KSP physics tends to screw you over with. 

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2019, 01:27:56 am »

Attaching things is kind of a big feature, it expands gameplay quite a bit.
Ground bases is another big feature that changes and expands the gameplay a lot.
Both these things are things that mods have done, but KSP physics tends to screw you over with.

I think this is what KSP2 is going to be: KSP with a lot of the more popular mods stolen included and engineered to work well together. If we're particularly lucky, they might go through and optimize it a bit.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2019, 12:05:56 pm »

I don't play KSP all that much as it is, so not sure if I'd get KSP 2. But it'll be interesting to see what they end up making.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2019, 09:36:48 pm »

Given that in the past companies have not given you a single inch more than what you see in the promotional videos, I am not particularly optimistic.  Kindof looks like they are vaguely attempting at better graphics, but are doing a totally different studio and engine, so most likely the physics wont work as well for a long time.

I'd be really really surprised if they tried to add any actually interesting base building or orbital economy, because that would just be another risk factor that the parent company wouldn't want to tolerate.  They would probably want to stick as close to the original KSP formula as possible, especially given that they would effectively be recreating the game from scratch and would have plenty of work to do regardless.

If they show a video that includes detailed base building (shipping in supplies, in situ extraction and manufacturing/fuel refining, and such) or some kind of interesting orbital economy (maybe automated flights from some resouce extraction site to back home to sell said resources) then I'd think that would be pretty cool.  As it is I'd be kindof surprised if they didn't just re-create the boring and not very good contract system that the original KSP had (including all of that amazing 'test part at between 22000 and 22500 meters in altitude at between 550 and 600 m/s of velocity' lovelyness).

In other words unless they are willing to actually make detailed claims about the game I don't think there is any reason to be interested in the game as yet.

e: I mean in fairness, they have like two sentences talking about base building, and a screenshot, but its so vague that I would be pretty surprised if anything particularly complicated and interesting actually came of it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:40:26 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2019, 08:40:56 pm »

...totally different studio and engine,...

From what I've heard, they're sticking with unity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6