Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"  (Read 10295 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2020, 06:22:17 pm »

Everyone was right to worry about Take two...

I hate to be the bearer of horrible news but it looks like  KSP2 will never be what it was meant to be at this rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJAi5Wu3W08

Enjoy your rocket microtransactions I guess :(
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2020, 06:33:19 pm »

For anyone who doesn't want to listen to Jim rant:

The studio developing KSP2 under contract with T2 was in talks to be bought out by T2.

The studio heads were not happy with the deal being offered so withdrew to renegotiate.

T2 removes studio from working on KSP2.  Studio heads tell employees that they can work through this and get a new contract.

T2 then starts offering employment to studio's employees.  At T2s new studio that is working on KSP2.

TLDR:  Studio working for T2 wants to negotiate, so T2 removes them from their own project then rehires them into a new studio they already own, to work on the same project.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2020, 06:43:05 pm »

So much for that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2020, 07:59:46 pm »

Contract drama. I'm pretty much used to it. We'll still get KSP in some form, maybe better maybe worse. We'll see what the reviews say after release.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2020, 02:22:26 am »

Yeah this kind of thing is sadly relatively common in gamedev. The people working on the game right now seem very passionate about it, and the leads are very clearly big fans of the original, so we'll see if that passion can translate to a good game, despite whatever meddling will come from T2. They're a terrible company, but good games have come from under their umbrella, so I'm still cautiously optimistic about KSP2, despite the year(!) long delay. Obviously wait for reviews and whatnot.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2020, 06:57:55 am »

I wasn't optimistic to begin with and it's still early to have a strong opinion either way, but the new look that was circulating on their discord are confirming my suspicious that they're just changing thing for the sake of changing and not in a good or inspired way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2021, 06:06:23 pm »

I like the name of this thread
KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"

:)
Have a wonderful day

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2023, 12:02:52 am »

Seems to be a good time for a bump, given that the EA release is just around the corner tomorrow (today already in some timezones).  Of course, it's certainly putting the "early" in early access, just as KSP 1 did.  Science and the tech tree is their planned first patch after initial release and career mode is not yet announced (though there may be something similar in the works), which means that the game on EA sounds like it'll be akin to the very first versions of KSP before 0.22.  It feels a touch premature to me, but that may just be me; those of us who find it incomplete can simply not buy it until it is more feature-complete. 

Those system requirements are definitely a doozy, though.  Besides the lack of science or career modes, if anything stops me from getting it early, this will be what does it.  At least KSP 1 is still grand fun.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 12:07:57 am by Culise »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2023, 01:34:52 am »

I would also add that there are a lot of red flags including a lack of gameplay footage until the short snippets we got in the trailer. Also, no early copies sent to prominent community members to hype things up...

These steam forum threads go over some of it.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/954850/discussions/0/3779119905188329495/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/954850/discussions/0/3779119905187227337/

I would severely temper my hype/expectations on this one. We'll likely get a game with less of everything except bugs and system requirements.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 01:36:25 am by Ygdrad »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2023, 02:16:39 am »

i expect early access to be basically:

KSP 1 with better gfx... and no tech tree/science till next big update.
at that point i expect it to be mostly ksp1 in better gfx then with few more parts.

and over the months they add the new features... maybe on a 6 month per feature basis from the roadmap.

or something around that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2023, 04:30:38 am »

They have outright said that the launch version will be a very basic sandbox experience. I'm stoked though, should be fun.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2023, 10:27:11 am »

They DID give access to influential people, it was just really close to the release date. Here's EverydayAstronaut's video about it. I haven't watched the video yet so I don't know how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX5sa20Nf30

Fast edit:
Here's Scott Manley's review as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWcx8AiV2CM
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:29:11 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2023, 11:47:10 am »

They DID give access to influential people, it was just really close to the release date. Here's EverydayAstronaut's video about it. I haven't watched the video yet so I don't know how it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX5sa20Nf30

Fast edit:
Here's Scott Manley's review as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWcx8AiV2CM
Nice, was getting a bit worried there. Cutting it pretty close to EA launch with both those videos having released 2h ago which has me think there was an embargo that just lifted. Will have a look and see what they say.

Edit: checked Scott's video and it seems they were flown to an event where the game was played and recorded in a controlled environment, on machines set up and provided for them to play and record on. Not sure what the specs of those rigs were, but Scott points out only 3% of steam users meet the "recommended" specs for the game and only around 1/3 of users meeting minimum. Obvious performance red flag here with rigs set up for them with a build that may not actually reflect what we get on launch given the limited access they got to it. I'll remain cautiously pessimistic about this one and wait for EA launch reviews.

Edit2: checking out EverydayAstronaut's video and even on the killer rigs(he says Ryzen 9 7900x, GTX 4080, 32gb ram) they were provided the game ran at only half realtime when he tried to fly a basic-ish mun rocket out of the atmosphere.

Edit3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X2xAfZd7GU shows only hitting about 20fps launching a 151 parts rocket on those rigs. Looks like you may need to ask NASA if you can use their computer to get decent performance.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 01:57:05 pm by Ygdrad »

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2023, 02:30:21 pm »

If the performance is actually as bad as it looks then I'm extremely concerned. They literally had one job, make KSP1 but with physics that don't break with large ships/stations. I'm hoping it's like EverydayAstronaut speculates and there's just some bugs to iron out with some of the systems, otherwise it looks like a straight downgrade. If they have a solid foundation that runs well, everything else can be fixed with mods, but if the game can't even scale to a couple hundred parts then it's just doomed. Render performance would be one thing but if the physics system is fundamentally flawed then what have they even been doing?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2023, 03:03:05 pm »

geez the performance is garbage, on a maxed out 4080 Graphics card and latest system...

Geez wish they didnt fuck up the development for 7 years?

Maybe they shouldnt have fired development studios and underpay staff.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6