Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"  (Read 10352 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: KSP 2 - "In space no one can hear you boogaloo"
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2023, 06:05:51 pm »

so there's video of people driving rovers on duna....

remember all those details shown about planets? turns out it was a very detailed but flat texture over a low poly mesh, https://youtu.be/0GWVQhldeD0?t=365 the rower just glide over minor bumps and dunes as if they aren't there. it's just shadowed as if it was detailed, but actualy flat.

what the heck they using all that cpu&gpu for?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 06:09:27 pm by LoSboccacc »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2023, 07:11:38 pm »

what the heck they using all that cpu&gpu for?

Stealth-mining crypto for the publisher? 🤣

In all seriousness, has anyone seen a gpu vs cpu usage stats for the game yet? I have a feeling they are still running the physics entirely single-threaded and with trying to make the physics more reliable at all speeds they're probably running into single core cpu bottlenecks.

Really, if there was one thing to dedicate a lot of efforts to it would've been to figuring out how to effectively multithread the physics as it was always an issue.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2023, 09:14:47 pm »

KSP 2 not being ass is like the one hope I have for game dev this year. There's a lot of hope for the release not to be the typical modern shitcan development philosophy of "just slap graphics on it and all is good".

Here's to hoping. KSP is a spirituality important game and a botched release will mar the reputation it's cultivated. Even if it's good though it's gotta be like, out of the ballpark, for me to buy. Modded KSP is such a refined experience these days (parallax 2.0, etc.) that they've got a high bar to set. KSP is also already decades ahead on the mod front, and for me to abandon the setup I've cultivated over the years is a tough bargain.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2023, 09:37:22 am »

Scott Manley is streaming it right now.

Only just started watching, but so far it's been pointed out it supports Axial Tilt of planetary bodies.

So it does have new physics feature for planetary bodies at least.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2023, 12:27:04 pm »

Seems to be missing re-entry, atmospheric pressure, and heat/thermal physics/mechanics too according to reviews. Also no modding support so not even the fans can save it from mediocrity right now.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2023, 12:34:52 pm »

It's not going to be much good...YET. I've got it, got caught up in the builder and poking around all the new parts so I, uh, didn't get to launching anything yet...but the new graphics are cool, sound design is nice, parts redesign and rebalance is good, and there's more new parts than I had seen previously, so that's also good, even if all the really cool stuff is undoubtedly yet to come.

I think this launch was unfortunately poorly timed, the development of this game must have been a constant, unrelenting, and unproductive dumpster fire with no redeeming features, and that they ought to have waited for another week or two at minimum to at least get rid of some really annoying bugs (like the "see more" option not working on ~75% of the parts in the VAB). They should've included the stage dV and other important metrics being easily visible in the VAB and a million other things, but now that they've got an entire community breathing down their necks about it maybe they'll shift into gear.

But ultimately I expect this to turn out well and become a great game. Hopefully.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2023, 01:08:18 pm »

Having played around with it a bit (and read their pre-launch notice re: performance) I'm less cynical now. It doesn't run noticeably worse than KSP1 for me (though I haven't tried a bunch of crazy asparagus staging with fuel lines and such which is what they called out as being unoptimized in their news post) and the initial load time is much better. It looks a lot better and while the UI changes take some getting used to it does seem more functional than stock KSP1. The new node/patched conics stuff is a clear improvement. There's not much of a game yet, but to be fair, they aren't pretending otherwise. I will say that including procedural wings is great but not including procedural fuel tanks feels a little odd.
When I find the time I'll try throwing together a megastation in orbit that would break KSP1 and see if anything on that side's been improved, as that's one of the things I'm most concerned about.
I'm running a beefy PC (13900k, RTX4090, 32GB DDR5) so my experience might not generalize, but I'm placated so far. It doesn't appear to be disastrous.

Oh, and the new time acceleration stuff is amazing. So much better than KSP1.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2023, 12:22:40 am »

I launched a rocket and am building a bigger one to drop a rover on the Mun to go poke around the new terrain, hopefully without dealing with the lag of Kerbin. True to some of the reviews I have experienced serious FPS drops whenever I'm looking at Kerbin, it definitely does not run as well as KSP 1 and is very demanding on the graphics card. Like, 100% utilization of a 4GB 3050 Ti when sitting in an empty VAB demanding.

I'm running an upgraded Legion 5 laptop, so Ryzen 7 5800H with 32 GB of RAM and the aforementioned laptop version of the 3050 Ti. Makes for an otherwise excellent computer, runs most things on reasonably high settings.

Plus side, it looks pretty great. It's just not optimized at all just yet.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2023, 05:10:34 am »

So physics, much realism, wow!
https://youtu.be/I84F-GVHLC0?t=699

So we have iffy performance, none of the interesting new stuff, none of the interesting old stuff, and we don't even have much of an engineering challenge because the physics are so junky the thing in that video doesn't snap on top of not having atmospheric pressure or heat... What do we even have in KSP2 at this point?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 05:49:37 am by Ygdrad »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2023, 07:12:24 am »

Seems to be missing re-entry, atmospheric pressure, and heat/thermal physics/mechanics too according to reviews. Also no modding support so not even the fans can save it from mediocrity right now.
Almost like it's just released in early access eh? They've said that reentry heating will be turned on in a few weeks, they are working on some bug or other. The core of the game is there and seems fairly good, pending optimization and additional content. It's far more full-featured than the original KSP early access release which iirc didn't even have a moon.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2023, 10:54:10 am »

Almost like it's just released in early access eh? They've said that reentry heating will be turned on in a few weeks, they are working on some bug or other. The core of the game is there and seems fairly good, pending optimization and additional content. It's far more full-featured than the original KSP early access release which iirc didn't even have a moon.

I don't buy any comparison to KSP1's EA launch. They had the backing of a large publisher, hell the dev studio belongs to Take Two after the move they pulled early on. There's really no excuse for having so little in there given the AAA asking price and the initial 2020 release target. None.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 11:01:40 am by Ygdrad »

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2023, 11:09:48 am »

I don't buy any comparison to KSP1's EA launch. They had the backing of a large publisher, hell the dev studio belongs to Take Two after the move they pulled early on. There's really no excuse for having so little in there given the AAA asking price and the initial 2020 release target. None.

Yeah the "it is EA!" stuff gets old quickly and is very situational. In all cases, an EA title should be fun to play and have features that are unique to it. This is why the endless clogged toilet bowl of colony sims on Steam in EA are so annoying: they're all mostly either RimWorld or DF or other clones.

In KSP 2's case, if KSP never existed, I would be like "yeah EA is fine" because it's playable and entertaining and unique. That's not the case now, and honestly with mods you can get KSP to look better with less performance issues. Only thing KSP 2 has going for it IMO are physics improvements (which I've heard are actually somewhat promising atm, despite the huge graphical overhead), and the "new stuff" like colonies and interstellar, which aren't in yet and have to beat the mods that exist that already do them.

Heard there's some cool procedural stuff too, but, eh, that doesn't take 30 or so people so many years.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2023, 12:33:29 pm »

I just hope we start getting news about the next few updates soon. I really want reentry heating...and performance improvements so I can stand to actually look at Kerbin.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2023, 03:00:54 pm »

Bluntly, there's nothing there to draw me to another 50 buck investment over just picking up 1 again with a handful of mods.  That 50 currently only gives a graphics and UI facelift, with an alleged performance downgrade.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2023, 03:19:14 pm »

Heard there's some cool procedural stuff too, but, eh, that doesn't take 30 or so people so many years.
If it helps (it doesn't), there are also mods for procedural tanks and wings in KSP1, in addition to the mods you already mentioned for colonies and interstellar travel.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6