Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Little Fortress: The Meandering Satin - Velvetglitter  (Read 2773 times)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
My Little Fortress: The Meandering Satin - Velvetglitter
« on: September 29, 2019, 06:38:44 pm »

So, with the resurgence of the My Little Fortress mod, I've decided to do a Community Fort with it! It should be interesting, and hopefully shouldn't break (too bad at least). In this initial post I'm going to just detail the rules/guidelines for both myself and anyone wanting to be ponified and the starting situation. Actual story posts game wise will begin later today or tomorrow.

That being said, here we go.

The Rules for Me:
-No Meat (Fish is ok)
-Aboveground homes and businesses only (only mines and stockpiles are permitted underground (unless circumstances arise that changes this))
-Every pony/family gets their own home (designated with Burrows) (Dormitories/Apartments are acceptable as well)
-Pony's get occupation specific buildings when possible (designated with additional Burrows)
-Draw at least 1 scene that happens in the game every few story posts

The Rules for Ponified Watchers:
-Diary/POV/RP posts are ok (I will try to do what you say your pony does in your post, in the game, but this won't be a top priority for me)
-You can claim multiple ponies if there are ones claimable

Embark Information

Town Symbol

Embark Provisions

Starting Situation

Current Town Population:
-4 Earth Ponies
-1 Pegasus Pony
-2 Unicorn Ponies
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:25:10 pm by Unknown72 »
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:43:54 pm by Unknown72 »
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Meandering Satin - a My Little Fortress Community Fort
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 06:40:08 pm »

Population List/Situation

Alive/Injured/Missing/Dead
9/0/0/0

Earth Ponies
-Lace Pagepoet - Male - Miller Pony (Unclaimed)
-Lark Sweetheavy - Female - Spa Pony (Unclaimed)
-Amethyst Mothercloak - Male - Spa Pony (Unclaimed)
-Sheen Scourgloss - Female - Farming Teacher Pony (Claimed)

Pegasus Ponies
-Sing Lacedot - Male - Scientist Pony (Unclaimed)

Unicorn Ponies
-Poetry Guardqueen - Male - Designer Pony (Unclaimed)
-Couple Dropletshin - Female - Painter Pony (Unclaimed)

Intelligent Oxen
-Silky Luteperplex - Male (Unclaimed)
-Play Leapflower - Male (Unclaimed)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:57:15 pm by Unknown72 »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 06:40:31 pm »

Gallery
Any art made (either by me or anyone else) will be put here for safe keeping
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:45:07 pm by Unknown72 »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 06:51:56 pm »

If you want any information on a pony, let me know and ill gladly give it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Meandering Satin - A My Little Fortress Community/Story Fort
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 10:33:15 am »

PTW
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Meandering Satin - Velvetglitter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 02:19:06 pm »

Prologue - A History Lesson

It had happened 95 years ago, a terrible evil had erupted from the depths of Equestria that resulted in the shattering of continents and the killing of important political and hierarchical figures. The deaths of Princesses Celestia, Luna, Cadance and Twilight Sparkle devastated everyone, as did the death of the now friendly Queen Chrysalis. Shortly afterwards the remaining Elements of Harmony bearers followed, tossing the rest of Equestria into disarray and horror.

With the death of the Bearer of Kindness, Discord went on a rampage against the one who had caused such destruction. At the time there was no name, they just referred to it as "The Grand Blooded", a creature similar in form to that of an Alicorn, but with a blood red coat and powerful dark magic capable of destroying even the Princesses with ease. The fight between the Grand Blooded and Discord resulted in the shattering of the landscape of all of Equestria, causing entire landmasses and continents to shift, bend, sink and raise, now Equestria's geography holds no resemblance to it's previous state, changed forevermore.

Unfortunately Discord was not strong enough, even when an unlikely alliance was formed between a now released Sombra, a solidified Tantabus and a now released Tirek, alongside many pony's, griffons, zebra's, and all other races of Equestria working together to defeat the Grand Blooded. The fight wiped the population of Equestria to the bare minimum, and at the end of the fight, the Grand Blooded spoke for the first time to all creatures of Equestria.

"You, who have given me the title Grand Blooded, shall know now that my name is Armok, God of Blood. I did not attack out of malice, but out of righteousness. You grew complacent, and that is unforgivable. I have changed your lands, reshaped your entire planet, and destroyed your leaders. New leaders will be born, by your own efforts, and you will begin anew. Know, however, that this world is not a friendly one. Good luck, my little ponies..."

After his speech he had dissipated, never to be seen again, but his influence was still felt all across the now scarred and changed landscape. Over the course of 95 years we've managed to rebuild, at least a small bit, with new settlements, new homes and new families. No-one knows what happened to the 6 elements of harmony, but rumors say that they're still out there, waiting to be found by new bearers. For now, this is not our primary concern.

Our goal now is to create even more homes and attempt to bring our lives back into a semblance of normality. And that is my goal here in Velvetglitter. My name is Sheen Scourgloss, I'm a teacher, but for the moment I'm also the leader of our expedition. We've found a place we can settle, in between two large hills, and we will make our own home here. Hopefully, it will last a long while. We shall see.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:22:09 pm by Unknown72 »

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Meandering Satin - Velvetglitter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 05:41:38 pm »

Chapter 1 - The Founding of Velvetglitter

Diary of Sheen Scourgloss - Expedition Leader

16th of Granite - 95 AA (After Armok)
It took us quiet a few months, but we finally found a suitable place to stay and create our own home. I, alongside 6 others (most likely chosen at random), were sent out with the goal of creating a new settlement for ponykind. The end goal for the Meandering Satin after they sent us away was for us to create a capital that could stand the tests of time, our own personal goal however is to just create a place where ponies, griffons and any other friendly species can relax and live out their lives peacefully.

Unfortunately Armok has forsaken the planet itself, so doing so entails its own dangers. I wasted no time in getting started however. Our composition had much to be desired, consisting of myself (a Teacher, focused mostly only teaching farming techniques and the differences between crops and how to prepare them), an earth pony that worked as a Miller in the old capital, two Spa ponies that I can't see having any real use until a respective Spa is created in the first place, a pegasus Scientist that preferred to live comfortably and joke with others rather then actually research something, and two unicorns, one a painter and the other a designer, both I also don't see having any use until a clothiers workshop and a painters studio are created.

I believe in all of us in being able to do this, but we're all going to have to pull our weight. As a result I've had the 2 Spa ponies pick up shovels and the miller take up an axe. The Spa ponies are to begin creating a mine downwards in the hopes of finding any kinds of metals or stone for us to use, while the miller is to begin cutting down trees so that the wood can be used to create a temporary palisade wall 20 feet (2 z-levels) high. I myself will begin tilling out nearby temporary farmland to begin planting crops. The Designer I'll have personally building the temporary palisade, with the painter and researcher helping on occasion but focusing more on creating a variety of workshops that we need to use, and turning wooden logs into wooden blocks.

We're a ragtag group that, although we're all pretty friendly, have kept to ourselves, so I have yet to learn anyone's names, referring to them via their profession due to that being how they were introduced to me before we set out. I have no doubt we will prevail and form strong relationships with eachother, but for now there's work to be done.

12 of Slate - 95 AA
Small entry, but the wall was taking too long, so I'm having everyone work on it together, alongside building a bridge over the river that's inside the walls. Designated a carpenters and mechanics workshop to built after the walls finish, and will be making 2 gates into town, one to the east and one to the west. Once this is done, the first building to be made is a dormitory. Thankfully have ample amounts of wood.

28th of Slate - 95 AA
The first 10 feet of the wall has finished, the rest will follow soon. Though unfortunately the Scientist got in the way during construction and nearly lost a hindleg and a wing when they decided to study a tree that was actively being chopped down. They were unconscious for a small time, but thankfully they came back around and only had a bruised wing and hindleg to show for it. While that kind of dedication should be rewarded, right now it's not what we need.

The mine downwards has begun making progress as well, but for now i'm having the Spa ponies flatten out the slopes in the areas inside our walls, so that nothing nasty can just walk in from the twin hills as they please. After they finish then the mine will continue expansion. According to the Spa ponies some of the sediment was damp as they dug downwards, constructing stairs as they went, so I'm having them expand into a few mineshafts, that will then be expanded downwards more.

It's only been a month, almost 2, but already things are starting to shape up. For now beds are on the way to being constructed, as are doors. Then soon enough the dormitory will follow.

12th of Hematite - 95 AA
Summer has recently started and the dormitory is only half way through. It consists of a large main hall, with 5 dorm rooms (2 beds each) and a back room for food and seed storage purposes, alongside cooking and, if possibly, fish processing. I've also managed to finally being planting and growing crops, as I spent all of spring prioritizing building the walls and entrances with everyone else. Unfortunately much of the above ground isn't suitable for farming, so I've just tilled and planted in any place I can find. Fortunately due to the miners efforts we've found that it's only the top soil that's the problem, but the soil under it looks plentiful for farming purposes, so I plan to have a large farming area channeled out in the future when we have a more secure foothold, but these haphazard farming areas will do.

It's been about 4 months and no signs of anything hostile which is good, but unfortunately there's no signs of a caravan or migrants either. For now the 7 of us will endure. We've become a bit closer and have begun conversating and settling into our roles, and fortunately the two Spa ponies have found a surprising amount of skill in mining out hard soil and rock, which was fortunate. We also learned that the 2 Oxen that came with us are actually on the same level of intelligence as the rest of us, but were merely acting like low intellect oxen we know of, in an effort to convince us to pamper and care for them, with the Miller even knowing one of said oxen as an old friend and attempting to assist in their goal of leisure. I put them to work with the rest of us as a result, even if most of what their good for is hauling.

I've also noticed that a few ponies are wishing for somewhere to pray to their pegasi deity Law Blanketkindess, but those following said deity were the only ones to make any requests for a worship area. Though a disturbing discovery was made the other day when one of us heard the Painter praying to the skeletal earth pony deity Bone, the diety of Death. May we pray that the Painter doesn't attempt to sell us out to any necromantic ponies in the future. I won't stop them from worshiping their deity, but as soon as any undead ponies show up, we know who the main suspect is in their arrival.

For now we still just refer to each-other by our professions rather then our actual names, as we still hold no reservations about possible failure in the future. We believe in each-other and our goals, but the world is a harsh one. As such, even though we all keep friendly and nice with each-other, we are prepared for any possible threats that could end us. Make no mistake however, history has shown that us ponies will fight hoof, horn and wing for our homes, and we'll do it for Velvetglitter too.

Spoiler: In-Progress Dormitory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: In-Progress Mineshafts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scattered Farm Plots (click to show/hide)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress: The Meandering Satin - Velvetglitter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 08:25:43 pm »

I keep changing the topic title mostly because I cant figure out a decent one haha.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 02:37:44 am »

Is this the MLP mod that had like over 1000 castes in it?  I recall doing some major fixes to that back in the day - would be curious to see how others have handled things.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 06:35:33 am »

Is this the MLP mod that had like over 1000 castes in it?  I recall doing some major fixes to that back in the day - would be curious to see how others have handled things.

Yea it is, 1000s of castes just to make cutie marks actually mean something.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 07:20:59 am »

Ahh, right, so you will likely find that every caste after about, umm, I forget what the cut off was, but it was about 320, doesnt quite work properly.  Took me an age to work out what was going wrong in that, so I basically had to re-write the way cutie-marks worked.  I wonder if the version you are using still results in wierd colour preferences too?  Anyway, the whole million caste thing was a way to overcome the limitations in DF's genetics system, but ran smack into a different limitation.  I should try to see if I still have any of the work I did on this - alas the old computer I was using for it died in the HDD, so prognosis not good.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 07:32:25 am »

Ahh, right, so you will likely find that every caste after about, umm, I forget what the cut off was, but it was about 320, doesnt quite work properly.  Took me an age to work out what was going wrong in that, so I basically had to re-write the way cutie-marks worked.  I wonder if the version you are using still results in wierd colour preferences too?  Anyway, the whole million caste thing was a way to overcome the limitations in DF's genetics system, but ran smack into a different limitation.  I should try to see if I still have any of the work I did on this - alas the old computer I was using for it died in the HDD, so prognosis not good.

Ah yes, I did know about the limitation, for now there's nothing weird that's happened so far, and cutie marks are working fine as far as I can tell. For now I'm content to leave it be but if anything pops up I'll try and fix it.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 03:35:06 pm »

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been sick for the last week (almost 2 weeks now) and it's been a challenge just to post on these forums in general. I'm improving though and should be good as new in a few days according to my doctor.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 09:56:19 pm »

Alright. I'm finally no longer sick! However I have a new problem, which is mostly mental. That problem being that whenever I start this up, I get an overwhelmingly powerful urge to work on the mod itself.

What this means is that I'll most likely switch this out (and just edit the OP and 2 chapter posts with relevant chapters) into a Fallout Equestria or Friendship is Magma Community/Story Fort, by the same name of course.

It'll most likely be Fallout Equestria, as I don't think we've had any story/community forts of that mod that went on for any lengths of time. Sides fallout is cool, pony fallout sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and I love it. Especially since that mod has a lot of content in it.