Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militant Fort project (Challenge?)  (Read 1869 times)

eviltwigster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militant Fort project (Challenge?)
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:54:47 pm »

I'm kind of just starting this new fort to give myself some fun guidelines. I'm kind of making up rules and stuff as they come up I suppose, but feel free to play along or whatever. I'm not Urist McMayor.

RULES:
1.All citizens barring lazy nobles must serve a mandatory 3 months/year military service
2.All weapons, armour, ammunition, traps, etc. must be fort produced. Any migrants caught with any of these goods must be relieved of them, and the goods melted or forbidden immediately.
3.By 50 population, a "Full Time" Fortress guard must be maintained - a full squad of 10 dedicated fighters with a maximum of 2 months scheduled inactive per year (which must be covered by another full 10 man squad)
4.Every calendar year, you must send a raid with minimum 10 participants to a goblin or Elven site (starting calendar year 2)
5. You may only embark with points in military skills (extended to teacher and student, and medical skills)

OPTIONAL FUN:
-Evil/savage embarks
-Cavern diving
-Human wars
-Vampires, necromancers etc.
-Copper (Or one metal) only
-Volcano
etc. etc.

UPDATE 0: Preperation and embark

I'm doing this in my pre-existing world, in which I've had a couple of brief forts and another comfortably retired after perhaps 5 or so years that I just kind of lost direction with. Before even booting the game, I made some changes to my default boot options in LNP.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm keeping it at 80/110 population cap to save some frames down the track, and I always feel less involved the larger my population gets. Have and will continue to consider lowering this further. I also bumped up the invasion numbers just for fun. I'd like to have to try and deal with deaths, repopulating, and keeping everyone happy

Exporting my world into legends and having a look around, I've found this absolute goldmine of a fun sub-region.

You can see here most nearby "civilised" settlements being Goblins, with just a couple of Human settlements, and Elves in the surrounding fringes. The only Dwarven civilisation has a cluster of settlements a bit further to the west, but I'll be well and truly out in the wilderness here. On top of that, there are a number of lairs, caves, labyrinths and shrines. Shouldn't be hard to get my military some hands on experience. Now to jump into the game and find myself a site in this little area that I would like to play on. I would like something with high savagery, but I think I'll stay away from evil, and if I can get some nice minerals and flux stones without any aquifer, I should be in for a good time.

Geographically, it's not a particularly interesting region, mostly marsh, shrubland and savanna, so I've found myself a decent looking 3x4 embark (saving all the frames) that I think will do nicely.
If you refer to the legends map I posted earlier, the area is 3 tiles north of the mountain next to the goblin cluster. Easy raiding distance.

A little heads up for this next spoiler, there's several screenshots contained. Basically everything relevant from my embark.

The plan is to temporarily set up metal industry to immediately get an iron battleaxe for tree cutting, and a couple of pickaxes to start mining. The fourth magnetite ore will be for a magical pair of leggings for if I find myself in a bit of trouble as far as a metal industry goes.
Time to get playing! Stay tuned for updates, let me know if you give this a go.

Update 1:
Should not start something like this at 2am, forgot I can't use wood and in fact need fire-safe material (stone) for the metal industry to get built, I'll pick it back up tomorrow with hopefully more or less the same embark +stone -wood.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:25:11 am by eviltwigster »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Militant Fort project (Challenge?)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:33:29 am »

Your images are broken. Looks like gyazo doesn't like hotlinking.

Partial military training is fairly rewarding for civilians, tbh; being the best way to raise physical attributes. You could make it more militant by having every dwarf possible but the expedition leader/mayor in the military full time - the latter so that they can accept petitions, who will then do all the civilian labours of forts once they become citizens (that isn't made unnecessary by the plunder). Embark with lot of food!

Regarding your update, magnetite is fire- and magma-safe. Old tactic to embark with just copper nugget and an anvil; you build wood furnace with the first, burn embark wagon logs for ash and charcoal, then build smelter with ash, smelt copper nugget, then build forge with ash, make pick (or an axe for more wood to burn so you can use reminder of copper).

eviltwigster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:58:24 am »

Your images are broken. Looks like gyazo doesn't like hotlinking.
Huh, show just fine on my end.

Partial military training is fairly rewarding for civilians, tbh; being the best way to raise physical attributes. You could make it more militant by having every dwarf possible but the expedition leader/mayor in the military full time - the latter so that they can accept petitions, who will then do all the civilian labours of forts once they become citizens (that isn't made unnecessary by the plunder). Embark with lot of food!

Regarding your update, magnetite is fire- and magma-safe. Old tactic to embark with just copper nugget and an anvil; you build wood furnace with the first, burn embark wagon logs for ash and charcoal, then build smelter with ash, smelt copper nugget, then build forge with ash, make pick (or an axe for more wood to burn so you can use reminder of copper).
I definitely want it to be a hybrid militia/military fort rather than just a straight up military one, I think I'll see how we go on this for a while and if I want to go any more extreme,

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 11:01:15 am »

Yea, just saying that given the common question of "what will I do with all these migrants", having 42% of them training might be little low when aiming for a challenge.

Images can show fine for you due caching. Ctrl-F5 (force refresh) to reload them from server.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 11:27:31 am »

So, this is like every one of my forts?  :P

You might also be able to force your nobles to do your mining/woodcutting, since those jobs can't be drafted without annoying micro. Oh yeah, and super 10/10 buff that invader cap more, I'd say like 800 should be enough to knock you off your feet on a military fort. You likely won't get that unless you get super wealthy and/or piss off the goblins a ton, so you won't be getting max cap at like, year 3.

Interested to see how this goes, good luck!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 02:38:50 pm »

I have been playing with a high ratio of military and a large invader cap. When sieges arrive, I find that sometimes I choose to close the gates and wait it out, since the dwarfs are still recovering from the previous corpse cleanup. Otherwise, this is my favorite type of fortress goal.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 01:47:56 pm »

well, keep us updated! These kinds of rulesets can make for great stories.

Though, this post might be better off in the 'Community Games & Stories' subforum.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 03:45:11 pm »

PTW
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 04:49:02 pm »

Word of warning: if you're planning to do regular raids you're likely to run into equipment corruption bug which will start crashing your game. In my last conquest-focused fortress it got so bad that the game crashed every time on certain date and there was no way to prevent it.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be a workaround for the bug, except to abandon and start a new fortress.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 02:17:17 am »

I suppose you can role play it that the mountain home is displeased for some reason and sends a new force to start the fortress over -- you have to battle any dwarfs who remain.  Those that leave the fortress (and ask forgiveness) may (i.e. almost certainly will) return later as migrants.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 07:43:15 am »

Reading this thread got me to think about a pure military fort that only survives by tributes and raids. I wonder íf that would work.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?