Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adamantine Cloth Shouldn't Tear  (Read 1721 times)

Euler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adamantine Cloth Shouldn't Tear
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:29:26 pm »

For reasons one can only speculate, adamantine can be sewn as cloth prior the wafer process, or even used to suture wounds, despite being metal. I don't mind this quirky option, and rather love some explanations, however I take issue with where the wiki explains adamantine clothing will wear out and break at the same speed as any other cloth.
The wiki gave no indication of it having any special properties at all, but I did see one post claim that adamantine clothes were as defensive as steel chainmail.

I am not alone in a desire for adamantine clothes to be unbreakable,
Related request for metal thread to have attributes unique from plant/silk thread.
Request for metal clothes to be resistant to tearing in battle as well as daily wear-n-tear
Another remark that adamantine clothes shouldn't wear out
And more that are only tangentially relevant but interesting, which I'll place in the spoiler below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I request that adamantine clothes be immune to daily wear and tear, and preferably not wear down from battle, however I don't believe it should be as strong as steel chainmail as one person suggested. In fact, I would be content with it having as much defensive ability as leather. All that matters to me is the lastability. If it comes with great defense, I won't complain, I simply don't believe it's necessary.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Cloth Shouldn't Tear
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 07:47:50 pm »

No need to add new threads for existing suggestions. Just necro and add new info (says so at the top of the page).

Euler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 08:39:03 pm »

Is that so? They're all several years old and when I tried to reply, it gave me the warning to be certain I want to do it, so I was pretty hesitant, and it looked like new threads for old suggestions happen plenty. My mistake.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 10:55:26 pm »

Suggestions thread is for Toady to read and enter interesting new suggestions into whatever notebook/database he puts them in. People start new ones, ignoring the instructions, all the time, sure. Doesn't mean anything. Just makes it harder for Toady to spot relevant new info. With 20 threads on why adamantine shouldn't break, he (or more likely Zach) is only likely to read through the one with an interesting discussion going on if they need more info. More likely they'll see the thread title and say, yeah, that's in our list and move on.

Several years old means nothing in a game with a multi-decade development plan. Adamantine hasn't been looked at since those last threads were made and may not be for another 10 years or so. Doesn't make the info less relevant.

(Automated warnings can probably only be set forum-wide).

Meh, that's all just speculation of course. But they did write the instructions in the first place, so...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:57:36 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 10:26:57 am »

Also spider silk can be used like armor.