Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overthrow a captured king who is fighting for the enemy?  (Read 3068 times)

Felix_Dorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Overthrow a captured king who is fighting for the enemy?
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:49:03 am »

I'm fairly new to Dwarf Fortress and am now on my second fort and having a great time.

I have founded a fort "Safemountain" far away from our civilisation's ancient mountain range. It is going well.

Our civilisation, The Hale Fortifications, is a once mighty nation brought low by 90 years of genocidal wars waged against it by two neighbouring Elf "civilisations". We fought with honour and courage, slaying many more of them than they did of us, but there were to many. The collapse came in 242, when 25 of our 28 remaining holds fell. By 250 the Hale Fortification had only three holds, two inhabited by goblins pretentiously calling themselves by ancient dwarven titles, and the last was inhabited by a group of only seven Dwarves. That a project began to save the remnants of our rich and ancient culture by building a fort across the sea among a group of friendly humans. The fort would be called "Safemountain."

But what of the king? King Mebzuth Roomhelms has ruled since 125. His rule has seen the fall of all but three holds and the murder of almost all her people. Yet he lives. Worse, he lives in dishonour. In the year 133 the mountainhome Confinecaves fell the the Elves. King Mebzuth allowed himself to be captured and continued to live at Confinecaves, working with the Elves. In 149 he joined the Elven assault on his own people, killing and EATING a dwarf at Mirrorvises. He repeated this abomination during another attack on his own people in 161. Since 230 he has sunk even lower, becoming obsessed with immortality, presumably to avoid the righteous judgement of the gods of the Hale Fortification.

How is this man still king, despite his treachery? Can our government The Ancient Authority of Iron overthrow him?

TL;DR The king of a dying civilisation is resident in an Elf holding and fights for them against his own people (eating those he kills). Can I overthrow him?

Also, will my tiny, dying civilisation found holdings near my fort so I can get a baron, count or duke?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overthrow a captured king who is fighting for the enemy?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 09:46:46 am »

You can't do much about the king, currently.

Presumably the civ may found settlements near you. You can also raid and conquer sites, although your fortress will sooner or later succumb to the raid corruption crash bug if your persist in raiding.
Theoretically you should be able to raid and conquer the site where the monarch lives, although I have no idea what will happen to the traitor if you were to conquer or raze the site.

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 05:06:03 pm »

There is always the option to retire the fort, create an adventurer (outsider if your dying civ is not available) and hunt down the traitor king personally. As a bonus : take the king´s head back to your fortress and put it onto a pedestal, if that is possible, then retire the adventurer on-site and unretire your fort. If even the fort retire/unretire thing wasn´t so buggy...
GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:51:51 pm »

So the king didn't relinquish his title? Sounds like a bug.

Of course treason most dire would probably give full reason for his political opponents from within his own court to arrange a tragic end for the foolish coward.

Felix_Dorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 04:31:10 am »

Thanks for your replies guys. I think the traitor king is now dead as I can't see him on the list of nobles of our civilisation. That said, I still feel that we have the right to crown our own leader as king, since we are now by far the biggest hold. Sadly no one at Safemountain has so much as been given the title of baron. Nor are they founding any new forts near us (we are in a mountain range too). I think that I we will have to hire an assassin [go on an adventure] to eliminate the remaining pretend "nobles."

TL;DR King appears to be dead but no new one has been proclaimed. Is it normal that no new forts have been created near mine after about five years of gameplay?