Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 4- Turn-based colonisation game - End of Game  (Read 16401 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Heretics of Hexland 4: Hex Redux
A game of colonisation for 3-6 players

Sign-ups open for a turn-based colonisation game in a fantasy world. Each player controls a rival expedition from a civilisation of their making. Each expedition is made up of one species that is beholden to a heresy. These civilisations vie for control of Hexland. If you want an idea of what this looks like, check out the last game. Think of this as a mixture of Civilisation, Small World and Diplomacy.

Game basics: The aim of the game is to achieve the most victory points. Victory points are typically gained by expanding and conquering hex tiles. Doing this requires actions; a player can take as many actions as they have population. Thus, the game is about expanding, while protecting one's ability to grow their population through harvesting crops.

Spoiler: Civ Creation Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heresies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Species (click to show/hide)

The game takes place over five years, after which the New Age will begin, as all heresies agree. Each year is made up of four seasons (spring, summer, fall, and winter), and each turn takes exactly one season. (So each player gets 20 turns in the game). On your turn you may take a number of actions equal to your population number. Increasing your population mid-turn doesn't give you additional actions for that turn. You have a maximum population equal to 1 + the number of tiles you control + the number of cities you own. You have a minimum population equal to 1 + the number of cities you own (your population can't be forced beneath this number).

On your first turn, pick a coastal embarkation point that is on land and not next to a tile owned by another player. Embarking doesn't cost an action.

Spoiler: Actions Explained (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Map and Key (click to show/hide)

Turns will be processed at the end of each season. If a player does not submit an action within 36 hours of the last turn, their go may be taken by the mod. If a player is skipped twice in a row, they may be replaced. When (as in the early game) your turn couldn't be constrained by the actions of players earlier in the turn cycle, feel free to submit your actions for the season out of turn. As a strict order of action resolution is maintained, feel free to edit your season's action if someone earlier in the turn order posts their action after you. Actions are always submitted publicly, but players are allowed to communicate privately if they wish as well as in-thread. It is possible to end the game prematurely through diplomatic resolution. Any queries, feel free to ask.

Starting Civs

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:34:07 pm by notquitethere »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 4- Turn-based colonisation game - Signups 1/6
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:28 pm »

I could see some shenanigans involving heterodox with impossibulls.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 12:23:45 pm »

I could see some shenanigans involving heterodox with impossibulls.
Perfectly legitimate way to play. In a six player game that would score 12+territory points, which is respectable but not unbeatable.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 12:51:35 pm »

PTWing and rules' reading.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 02:27:23 pm »

Will be joining this for sure

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 4- Turn-based colonisation game - Signups 2/6
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 04:59:39 pm »

Good good.

I've made an amendment I meant to make before: the Shaker heresy no longer destroys mountains, and instead gets Stonestep, making it easier to expand into their favoured terrain.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 07:57:26 pm »

Do I put sign ups here or PM you?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 02:01:10 am »

Do I put sign ups here or PM you?
All signups are public, as players aren't allowed to pick the exact same combination as another player. So please do post your civ, with a name and colour, in the thread.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 03:12:02 am »

Civilisation: Domesticatia
Colour: Cyan
Heresy: Builder
Species: Human
Population: 3
Population Range: 1-2?

Why is the minimum population of Humans specified if it’s the same baseline as every other species’s population range? Do humans have population range of 1-3 at the start?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 03:21:13 am »

Civilisation: Domesticatia
Colour: Cyan
Species: Human
Population: 3
Population Range: 1-2?

Why is the minimum population of Humans specified if it’s the same baseline as every other species’s population range? Do humans have population range of 1-3 at the start?
That's right, their range is 1-3. It's mentioned to make clear that the minimum population hasn't risen.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 4- Turn-based colonisation game - Signups 4/6
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 03:57:24 am »

Okay, so I'll go ahead and post my combo:

Civilisation: The Leviathan Electorate
Colour: Maroon
Heresy: Aquatic
Species: Doge's Men
Population: 2
Population Range: 1-2
The Electorate are in self-imposed exile from the city state of Sinua after their preferred Doge, the Leviathan, was defeated. They hope to use their superior canalcraft to create a new watery stronghold.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 4- Turn-based colonisation game - Signups 4/6
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 04:01:05 am »

Civilisation Name: Principality of Pork
Colour: Pink
Species : Swine

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 4- Turn-based colonisation game - Signups 5/6
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 06:41:35 am »

Civilisation Name: Ferngully
Color: Lavender
Heresy: Bountiful
Species : Ent
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:01:40 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 07:47:05 am »

I started looking at the previous game NQT linked, and saw someone else also went for a Pink faction of Builder Swine. Great minds think alike? We shall see how well I do in comparison.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 07:51:19 am »

Cool, so we have enough players to begin and at least one more slot open. The map can take up to 8, but I prefer to cap it at 6 so that turns don't take forever. Just waiting on a civilisation from Wozzy and then we can start.

In the OP on player's initial civ sheets, I've now listed the turn order number. Each season, the players with the lowest population will go first (so currently, as they have 3 population instead of two, Shadowclaw777 will be last in turn order). To break ties (like when a lot of players have population 2) we use the turn order number. This is the Heresy+Species number, with the lowest number going first.

I started looking at the previous game NQT linked, and saw someone else also went for a Pink faction of Builder Swine. Great minds think alike? We shall see how well I do in comparison.
Haha yeah it's clearly a popular combo. In general, Builder as been the most popular heresy by far (perhaps not surprising for a Dwarf Fortress forum?).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20