Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 4- Turn-based colonisation game - End of Game  (Read 16579 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 4- Turn-based colonisation game - End of Game
« Reply #285 on: September 25, 2019, 04:22:24 pm »

Raise costing 3 actions would be okay but for most species it would lock you out from raising until the late game-- there is already something of balancing offset in that forests can produce population for bountiful, whereas mountains are unproductive.

The idea of mining is interesting, but there's have to be some reason to do it other than just removing a mountain-- as most of the time when you have a mountain it's good to keep for yourself.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2019, 04:28:16 pm »

Maybe Mining is another way to get Population?(underground plant harvesting?)That might cause more balance issues though

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2019, 04:35:52 pm »

Maybe one action to build a Mine, every season after that it give +1 action, but it reduces the defense by one. This would also give non shaker players more incentive to take mountains.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2019, 04:58:26 pm »

Maybe one action to build a Mine, every season after that it give +1 action, but it reduces the defense by one. This would also give non shaker players more incentive to take mountains.
+1
This sounds good

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2019, 05:01:18 pm »

Helluva game. Things being that close really explains why my intuition on who would win was completely baffled.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2019, 11:00:22 am »

I'm really pleased it was close. It makes me feel good about balancing. Some good balancing elements:

- having players go in order of population allows players to catch up and knock back players who are running ahead.
- capping cities by population means the builder heresy isn't too powerful and makes harvesting necessary (except for bountiful)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 28, 2019, 06:35:45 am »

Here's an amended ruleset:
- Added in mining
- I've added another heresy which interacts with mining
- amended some species, added a few more
- Given a few more heresies powers to deal with mountains.
- Beefed up Doge's Men (now called Dogekin) to mean they're not instantly countered by draining
- Nerfed Swine while making them synergise with other population raising heresies.

Let me know if any of this is obviously broken.

Quote from: New Ruleset
Heretics of Hexland 5
A game of colonisation for 3-6 players

Sign-ups open for a turn-based colonisation game in a fantasy world. Each player controls a rival expedition from a civilisation of their making. Each expedition is made up of one species that is beholden to a heresy. These civilisations vie for control of Hexland. If you want an idea of what this looks like, check out the last game. Think of this as a mixture of Civilisation, Small World and Diplomacy.

Game basics: The aim of the game is to achieve the most victory points. Victory points are typically gained by expanding and conquering hex tiles. Doing this requires actions; a player can take as many actions as they have population. Thus, the game is about expanding, while protecting one's ability to grow their population through harvesting crops.

Spoiler: Civ Creation Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Heresies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Species (click to show/hide)

The game takes place over five years, after which the New Age will begin, as all heresies agree. Each year is made up of four seasons (spring, summer, fall, and winter), and each turn takes exactly one season. (So each player gets 20 turns in the game). On your turn you may take a number of actions equal to your population number. Increasing your population mid-turn doesn't give you additional actions for that turn. You have a maximum population equal to 1 + the number of tiles you control + the number of cities you own. You have a minimum population equal to 1 + the number of cities you own (your population can't be forced beneath this number).

On your first turn, pick a coastal embarkation point that is on land and not next to a tile owned by another player. Embarking doesn't cost an action.

Spoiler: Actions Explained (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Map and Key (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:59:06 am by notquitethere »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 28, 2019, 06:56:18 am »

I will play as Flame Beetleswarm
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:06:32 am by Naturegirl1999 »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 28, 2019, 07:57:41 am »

If/when I start a new game, you certainly can. There's some synergy with Djinn & Flame, in that Flame's actions leave deserts which could be expanded into and farmed... but there's some dysergy in that you get victory points for deserts you don't own, and you can only farm deserts you own.

Worth pointing out that I've changed how fields work: fields now act just like improvements (cities etc), they don't change the basic land type as before.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 28, 2019, 08:03:44 am »

If/when I start a new game, you certainly can. There's some synergy with Djinn & Flame, in that Flame's actions leave deserts which could be expanded into and farmed... but there's some dysergy in that you get victory points for deserts you don't own, and you can only farm deserts you own.

Worth pointing out that I've changed how fields work: fields now act just like improvements (cities etc), they don't change the basic land type as before.
Ok, I will change species, I want to try Flame still. Thank you for the clarifications

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2019, 09:27:57 am »

I had this idea of running similar game set with a map of 5 sided tiles, maybe call it 'Petitioners of Pentland', but I dunno how readable the map would be / whether the extra strategic considerations would be worth the hassle of making a ruleset that worked with mismatched borders.

Spoiler: Pent Map (click to show/hide)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2019, 06:07:56 pm »

I couldn't help myself. I threw together a successor game similar to Heretics of Hexland, called Pentagonal Perdition. In the game you take on the armies of competing gods, conquering and transforming the heavens. The core mechanics are basically the same, except you pick two godly domains instead of heresies and species, and instead of transforming an island, you're making a formless plain habitable for angels, devils, fae and oozes.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2019, 08:09:06 am »

One more slot still needed for Pentagonal Perdition, a game very much like Heretics of Hexland.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]