Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Steal all the fighting styles currently statted out in Cataclysm DDA - and by us  (Read 4079 times)

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're not thinking big enough. The first person who gets an army of badger people and cricket people and ferret people and snake people and turtle people and fly people and ant people and whale people wins. That represents a much harder problem in melee then just a combined force of humans, elves, dwarves and gobbos.
I think your biggest problem with this is the term army. I think the only way you can get all of these to work as a formation is to make them undead...
A further problem with this is that you are only thinking melee, and probably ignoring terrain advantage. Elves outrun most of these and typically focus on archers. Dwarves like walls and tend to have accurate crossbows to hit flyers...

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

There's nothing the other races can do that animal men can't do, is my point. It's an OP advantage, if there are enough of them. And seeing as there animal men, there's no reason you couldn't get a diverse collection in an army.

Like i said, by default they can't be too numerous, or at least varied.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Martial arts in CDDA are just modifiers to unarmed attacks and specific weapons with some flavor text thrown in, and that's actually not a bad place to start. That is, if we're doing martial arts, they shouldn't be treated as as any specific thing, but rather as a special effect that applies to existing attacks, whatever or how many of them the user possesses. It may be a little gamey, but it would also avoid problems arising from body part incompatability. No need to to worry about using an art developed by scorpion men when you don't have a stinger, or a fighting style made for short swords when all you have is a scimitar, if the quintessence of the art is just a stat bonus. And if it it does get treated as just a stat bonus, there's quite a few things we could do:

- Increase pain inflicted on each successful hit (CDDA's aikido, only useful)
- Chance to knock opponent over on successful hit/reduced chance of being knocked over when stuck or charging(CDDA's judo, only more useful)
- Increased chance to hit/reduced chance to be hit by larger enemies(this post was made by amphibian man gang)
- Increased chance to hit/reduced chance to be hit by smaller enemies(this post was made by sperm whale man gang)
- Significant force multiplier when enraged(Exclusive: Leaked footage from the 2026 Graphics Update)
- Force multiplier against mounted enemies and their mounts(spears vs. cavalry)
- Force multiplier against vampires and other supernatural entities(CAUTION: Requires functioning lungs)
- Successful hits have a chance to make free attacks on adjacent enemies('Sweeping Strikes' and similar effects found throughout vidya and pen and paper RPGs)
- Force multiplier relative to number or severity of injuries/current severity of bleeding('Equalizer' and similar effects found throughout vidya)
- Successful kills stop all active bleeing/heal one injury('Half-Zatoichi' and various life-stealing effects found throughout vidya)
- Successful hits have a chance to reduce active bleeding or partially heal wounds(also various life-stealing effects found throughout vidya)
- Successful hits have a chance to knock the enemy back(literally any knockback effect ever)
- Killing an enemy completely replenishes stamina('Grim Reaper's Sprint')
- Successful hits have a chance to temporarily paralyze the enemy(and destroy your shirt)
- Successful hits have a chance to cause delayed but exceedingly fatal explosive hemmorhaging(Nani!?)
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's nothing the other races can do that animal men can't do, is my point. It's an OP advantage, if there are enough of them. And seeing as there animal men, there's no reason you couldn't get a diverse collection in an army.

Like i said, by default they can't be too numerous, or at least varied.
The biggest issue here is that you are thinking of them as a single entity. They are no more uniform than other humanoids - There is theoretically nothing a dwarf does that an elf cannot do (except die of old age and win a drinking contest against an ogre), yet the culture does not allow for striking the earth and clearing forests.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken, metalworking is unlocked only by 3 species - humans, dwarves and goblins. This is a pretty big advantage.
Elves have an alliance with all wild animals - which, in savage biomes (the only place were animal men are common) is a pretty big advantage. (Elven martial arts might be very interesting due to their specialities)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

The animal men could be mercenaries, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]