Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Steal all the fighting styles currently statted out in Cataclysm DDA - and by us  (Read 4060 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Here's the list.

Please share either:

1. The special bonus of an unmentioned style

2. A breakdown of any moves you know, in which style, and how they should be represented in game.

Keep it neat guys!

Let's be real, if we don't do it it will take years for Toady too. I'll edit everything into this post, and if i don't, somebody else please take up the torch.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:04:56 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

I don't agree to right-out "stealing" these, but not primarily due to moral reasons, but rather because I am fond of the current plan of sometime implementing procedural combat styles/schools of martial art ("Combat styles" in the devplan page, I think it has been discussed in some FotF posts as well). Looking at how these are mapped out could be useful when designing that system though, so linking it here was a good idea.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

That will be useful for trolls and batmen and night horrors, but for humans you've got to steal from what works. There probably are undiscovered martial arts but no matter the world the fundamentals are going to stay the same.
Reading a thinner book

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be based on bodies working like our world humans do. If, you say, have a human race with different limb proportions than us, the styles may well differ. Also - note that martial arts on Earth is designed to work against humans - using judo against a full size dragon or titan would be rather counter productive... Heck, trying to go under a goblins center of mass to throw him wouldn't be easy for most humans... And most fighting here are against things that are of different species...

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Nevertheless. Most critters are just reskinned humans and with things like trolls, the martial art for fighting them is "get a big fucking spear."
Reading a thinner book

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Martial arts typically develop dependent on the resources available (which is why multiple arts use farming equipment, or unarmed), and the typical opponent.
This means that an elven martial art would be focused on elven strengths - typically speed (I guess?), and the typical opponent - so for an elven civ fighting dwarves a lot, they would expect to dodge a lot, and aim for weak points in dwarven armour (possibly felling the dwarves to help get good hits in) Co-operation would mean staying out of each others way while trying to flank (you don't want to crash into an ally while dodging). While the opposing dwarven civ aims more to block (shieldwalls?), standing still and cutting down anyone coming into range. Co-operation means being your mates shield, and covering his flank.

Fighting a troll, that is the same as hunting bears in our culture - and techniques exists for that - typically baiting them to charge, and using their own mass against them, or luring them into traps (I guess we're doing that already).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nevertheless. Most critters are just reskinned humans and with things like trolls, the martial art for fighting them is "get a big fucking spear."
And what is the martial art for being a gorlak facing a human? Or a snail person? Or a ferret man? Get a big fucking spear? Sounds like an extremely limited system considering the huge size differences between the current playable races (not to mention those with wings, no legs, horns, tusks, etc).

+1 for procedurally generated martial arts based on real ones that actually take into account critter's bodies and available resources. No point having a system that fails the moment races are slightly different sizes (i.e everything post Mythgen under certain parameters).

ultimatedumbdumb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

That would be based on bodies working like our world humans do. If, you say, have a human race with different limb proportions than us, the styles may well differ. Also - note that martial arts on Earth is designed to work against humans - using judo against a full size dragon or titan would be rather counter productive... Heck, trying to go under a goblins center of mass to throw him wouldn't be easy for most humans... And most fighting here are against things that are of different species...
Can't toady let us lift a dragon if our strength stat is high?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Even if you could lift its body over your head, the legs would probably still be touching the ground. Height matters too.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I bet if you were strong enough to lift a dragon you wouldn't need to learn a formal martial art to fight people.

ultimatedumbdumb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I bet if you were strong enough to lift a dragon you wouldn't need to learn a formal martial art to fight people.
Well true, I can just imagine a dragon being sliced in half by a judo chop

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

I can only assume that the eventual "default" dwarf fortress world is going to be light on animal men precisely because fighting a lot of them gets really complicated really quickly. An army of beastfolk tribes would automatically rule the world because they'd be unstoppable in melee.
Reading a thinner book

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can only assume that the eventual "default" dwarf fortress world is going to be light on animal men precisely because fighting a lot of them gets really complicated really quickly. An army of beastfolk tribes would automatically rule the world because they'd be unstoppable in melee.
I suspect the civ with modern technology and weapons would beat an army of loincloth clad martial artist spider people. "Default" Dwarf Fortress should be quite similar to what we have now, so savage animal people (perhaps with proper tribes added above and below ground) and a handful of "civilized" animal people in each civ.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

You're not thinking big enough. The first person who gets an army of badger people and cricket people and ferret people and snake people and turtle people and fly people and ant people and whale people wins. That represents a much harder problem in melee then just a combined force of humans, elves, dwarves and gobbos.
Reading a thinner book

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're not thinking big enough. The first person who gets an army of badger people and cricket people and ferret people and snake people and turtle people and fly people and ant people and whale people wins. That represents a much harder problem in melee then just a combined force of humans, elves, dwarves and gobbos.
Side with the Wizard who can call down a meteor shower wins that one.   :)
Pages: [1] 2