Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: [47.05] ZM5's Assorted Creatures Pack (also fort/adv posts and requests)  (Read 54024 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.12] ZM5's Assorted Creatures Pack (also fort/adv posts and requests)
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 06:42:06 am »

For balancing's sake I use an "energy" material that is a stand-in for skin, muscle, as well as eyes and teeth (if the creature has those). Has higher values, density and maximum sharpness than skin or muscle, so the ghosts/elementals can still do decent enough damage with either blunt or edged unarmed attacks.

For the tissue itself I just use LAYER instead of FEATHERS, again for balancing - they can still be dismembered or cloven asunder with edged weapons, though since there's no pain receptors or vascularity, any attack that fails to dismember or insta-kill will just "tear the energy" and do nothing else. Combined with the material, as well as them only really having one "organ", it also makes piercing attacks mostly ineffective and blunt attacks almost completely worthless against them.

I also usually (with some exceptions) give them soul gems or energy/elemental cores in the torsos that stand-in for the brain - basically allowing instant kills outside of cleaving them asunder - its also about the only time where a piercing weapon wouldnt be entirely ineffective against them.

Think thats about it - I've done the Bone Carver and Flame Dragon from this pack in this way (though the Bone Carver also has a "cloth" layer on top of the energy one), so those could be examples.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also an itemcorpse thats a boulder made out of a "mist" or "energy" material that evaporates immediately, to simulate the ghost/elemental just dissipating.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 06:55:39 am by ZM5 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 07:14:28 am »

Those sound like good solutions. No idea why I got stuck on pass-through. The other thing I tried was dfhack to turn them into actual ghosts, but that didn't work well...

I'll have a look at your bone Carver and dragon :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 07:49:27 am »

Sure thing - I haven't annotated them so if there's further questions then let me know. I should probably do a tutorial series at some point for both basic raw mods and going more into in-depth stuff.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 08:24:14 am »

If you really want to help future modders (especially after the steam release), send me a list of mod-related changes you'd like to see.

I know that I have often enough stumbled on a silly little obstacle, that Toady One could fix... and now that I'm the steam mod support person, I can hand over some suggestions.

Not saying that all or any of it would be changed, but at least Tarn will end up seeing them
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:43:01 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 09:13:55 am »

Sure thing - I'll think of some stuff that bugged me beforehand I'll send the list whenever I think it has the most important issues outlined - might wanna ask around other modders too.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 06:20:37 am »

Well, those will definitely be a fun invader race to deal with. Where do you even find this stuff? Saw your posts on basketweaving boards and I'm always amazed at how you seem to come across the weirdest creature designs.

If you plumb the depths of the internet for long enough you find all sorts of crazy things, I guess. I've got a knack for finding that really weird shit.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 06:54:42 am »

I should probably do a tutorial series at some point for both basic raw mods and going more into in-depth stuff.

I would really appreciate a YouTube tutorial series.

Kingra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 08:09:54 am »

If I ever get into modding I'd much rather prefer a written tutorial over a youtube one.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 08:15:45 am »

If I ever get into modding I'd much rather prefer a written tutorial over a youtube one.
Yeah, especially if you want to learn by copy+pasting and altering existing content. ^^

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 08:16:47 am »

Yeah, I'd go with a written one, would be easier to manage for me personally than a video.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 09:32:48 am »

Yeah, I'd go with a written one, would be easier to manage for me personally than a video.

Ah ok. If you are taking suggestions on content, building a custom creature's body/materials from scratch (not using premade body parts/connections/materials etc.) would be helpful.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 02:19:18 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking of showing that in a small series of custom creatures - making a body detail plan with the requisite materials/tissues and some custom body parts.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2019, 08:56:15 am »

Some stuff I've been working on as an addon for this pack and a sister mod to the seven deadly sins megabeasts I've done. Don't really know when I'll be done with it since I have 14 factions in total for this (each one multi-caste) alongside some non-civ creatures - should be interesting (and in the cases of the lust/gluttony factions, mighty unpleasant) to encounter these once it's done, though. I probably shouldn't be lumping so much stuff on myself since currently I've got ideas for, lets see:
-Lufia 2 monsters (already done, just need to write help files)
-Breath of Fire 2 monsters/races (got a writeup for it but havent started working on it yet)
-Turok creatures (only from the N64 games, haven't started on it either, although it has less stuff to do thankfully - will probably have to forego the futuristic weapons though)
-This 7 deadly sins addon that'll have 7 sin-afflicted human factions and 7 sin elemental factions (basically horrible aberrations that personify each sin), along with the pets for said factions
-Borderlands TC/creature pack (will probably have to forego most of the gun stuff, once again, though atleast there's a tad more melee weapons to work with - plants, metals and the like would be a bigger issue than the creatures themselves, since I dont think the games ever go much into detail on most of that).

Will be doing the requests tomorrow, along with some stuff from the list I have, so that's still planned.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:42:38 pm by ZM5 »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2019, 08:28:07 am »

Alright, update out - smaller one this time.

From Splint:
-Hammerpede - massive, metal-covered centipede - can bash with its head for severe blunt damage, spits bile from a distance.
-Geopede - massive centipede covered in moss and fungus-covered stone. Releases spores, can spit a more potent bile.

From squamous:
-Fungal Goblins - invader civ, lives in dark pits/fortresses in tropical biomes, not actually adv mode playable. Have several castes, including two mobile mushroom castes (one of which possesses some magic abilities), a larger but dumber "funglybear" caste and a shaman caste with some spells.

I'll try to do more for next update, hopefully I'll be able to get the Lufia addon out by then.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2019, 09:28:03 pm »

You accept requests for races?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7