Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: [47.05] ZM5's Assorted Creatures Pack (also fort/adv posts and requests)  (Read 54023 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.12] ZM5's Assorted Creatures Pack (also fort/adv posts and requests)
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2019, 04:00:31 am »

Yeah, though like I said in the opening post, within reason - I wouldn't really accept a request for something like a 10-caste race with very specific differences between them, different materials for each caste, etc - that'd be more or less like doing 10 separate creatures.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 01:27:17 pm »

Nice. If you're looking for a snappier name for the fungal goblins, the article originally called them Yoblins and then changed it to goblins for some reason, which I think was a mistake because the guy who made them also has normal goblins in his campaigns.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2019, 02:13:59 pm »

I've seen that in the comments but I figured "fungal goblin" is a tad more descriptive on a first-glance basis.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2019, 02:44:23 pm »

that's fair
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2019, 07:04:00 pm »

Can you make a baseline set of various human factions mod that are playable in Fort and Adv? I don't like being Dwarves

EDIT: Also can some be modern based with guns and what not? I use your other mods, especially the DOOM based one and it feels weird to have these guys without guns about
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:08:28 pm by Lidku »

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2019, 08:13:24 pm »

Also a SS13 type of mod would be good aswell. It could allow futuristic factions, but also allow an explanation on how their all on one planet. Important resources like Plasma, Bananium, Bluespace, ensure all the galaxies Megacorporations are vying for control on the planet. Neat weapons like laser rifles and E-guns could be added aswell. Other factions (civs) that aren't Megacorporations can also make an appearance. The Spider Clan can be a skulking civ, Wizard Federation can be advanced siegers, Syndicate also can be a faction that act as the main 'antagonist' or you can be the Syndicate. NT will be like the 'Dwarves', the base faction so the speak.

The minor Megacorporations can be like the various human civs in a baseline unmodded game, randomly generated with corporate random cultures. They can be fully playable in Fort and Adv mode. For the evil level stuff, two cult faction-civs can be in place. One is the Blood Cult devoted to worshiping Nar'Sie. Mostly based on shredding flesh and dealing with blood. Another cult faction-civ could be the Clockwork cult devoted to whorshiping Ratvar, the Clockwork Justicar. They mostly deal in complex machinery like Dwarves do in dedicated to him. Both of these civs can be Siegers and Kidnappers in the gameworld.

The other types like the Changeling and Shadowlings can function like curses I guess? Like Vampires are? I don't know how Changeling can be pulled off, since when it absorbs DNA it can change into the face of that being. I don't know how it can be pulled off though. Shadowlings maybe can act like Necromancers? The 'Chrysalis' can simply be a tome and reading it can 'hatch' whoever does into a Shadowling. Maybe it can be done in the next update with intelligent 'Undead', since Shadowlings merely enthrall to gain servants, not killing and resurrect them.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:28:32 pm by Lidku »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2019, 03:48:12 am »

I'll have a proper look through these later, skimming a bit through it rn - that said, the main problem is with stuff like the guns - ranged weapon modding is incredibly limited - quivers are hardcoded (so no change to "ammo pouch" with an increased capacity is possible), the firing speed is hardcoded, can't change how many projectiles are fired (so no shotgun-type pellet spreads), can't make them use something like a "cell pack" to fire "energy bolts" instead, etc. etc.

Same reason why I didn't add any Doom guns to the Former Humans (aside from it making a tad more sense for them to have human weapon sets - they'd be made from DF humans and the cannibals from the Horror pack, so ostensibly they were possessed knights, bandits or adventurers rather than marines) - just not possible with any degree of accuracy.

Regarding the stuff with the Changelings and Shadowlings, yeah the "shapeshift into specific target" thing isn't possible yet - tomes are also hardcoded so you wouldn't be able to have a "chrysalis" with the same functions, it'd just be slabs and tomes like in vanilla. Summoning intelligent minions will be possible (hopefully the update will come out sometime between now and december 31st), however I don't recall if anything was ever mentioned about a "charm" type spell that'd make the target be loyal to the caster, so the enthralling bit would be off.

Some of it could be alleviated with DFhack but I don't really know how to code for it, and I don't want to be reliant on it either (since the moment an update rolls out all the stuff goes out the window until DFhack gets updated).

I could try doing the alternate human factions, would just need to think up of some ideas - the SS13 stuff would be a tad much for this pack (especially since I honestly don't even know much about SS13), maybe for a separate one but there'd just be a lot of limitations.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2019, 06:54:07 am »

Can quivers be renamed to "represent" other things? I think I remember for a fact some mods changed the name of pickaxes' to be drills. Also I hope in the future Toady would add some basic functionality for firearms.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:00 am »

Nah, quivers aren't in the raws, so they're not editable. Pickaxes are still in the raws so you can change them to be something else, or make new mining implements.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2019, 12:11:59 pm »

Small update - got some more creatures done.

From Splint:
-Vine Zombie/Vine Spawn - creatures infested by hostile plant-life - Vine Zombies are humanoid, Vine Spawn are quadrupeds. Both can attack by lashing with vines.
-Mire Heart - large, ambulatory plant monsters - their vines can spatter a paralytic toxin over wounds, they can launch vine pods from a distance that can explode into pollen when reaching their maximum flight distance, and they can reanimate corpses as either Vine Zombies or Vine Spawn (depending if the corpse belonged to a sentient or a beast-like creature).

Suggested by Lidku:
-Flesh Cultists - an additional playable race - cult of humans - though macabre and eerie, they're in the same faction as dwarves, humans and elves (so they'll still get attacked by goblins and the like). Have three castes - Flesh Cultists, simply regular humans - Flesh Adherents - a warrior caste that can self-buff, turn their limbs into bladed tentacles and learn weapon/unarmed combat skills at twice the usual rates - and Flesh Oracles, spell-users who can turn their limbs into fanged tendrils, bite with a maw formed in the stomach, or attack with additional fanged tendrils from the stomach - they can also cast some buff spells, a debuff spell and spit caustic bile from a distance. They can also make flesh-steel bars from two bars of steel, a piece of meat and a piece of bone.

Should be it for now - I will make some additional fort mode races later at some point (once I get some ideas for them, anyway - don't want to just make "humans but with different weapon set+cultural values"), though before that I'll probably expand on the cultists first (more castes, maybe some unique pets, etc.). For now I'm gonna continue trying to finish up the help files for the Lufia addon and also finish the 7 deadly sins factions - currently I've last finished up the lust-afflicted faction - probably will be as unpleasant to encounter as the gluttonous faction. Still need to do the unique pets and weapons/armor for the sin-corrupted before I'll move on to the sin elementals.

BluealienDio

• Bay Watcher
  • Vampiric Guest, [PREFSTRING:steamrollers]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2019, 04:56:57 pm »

Hey ZM5! If you are doing caster/secrets I have an two ideas:

1. Hamon:
Hamon is a ancient martial art that relies on the user's breathe to produce a 'ripple' inside their body. It's extremely powerful against undead (Vampires, zombies, etc.) creatures, being able to obliterate them in a single punch if they are weak enough. But of course that isn't its only use as it has other abilities that affects objects, normal people, metals, and more.

For a more in-depth look on Hamon, here is a wiki page on it:

I have attempted to create a representation of Hamon before, it really didn't work out that well but I did have some ideas such as Ripple Hypnosis boosting an ally's strength, a basic ''''''''''''''Material Emission'''''''''''''' where the Hamon User would launch a series of rapid punches at the enemy (the punches would cause a deadly syndrome that would destroy undead in seconds due to rapid necrosis, or a different effect if it was a different type of barrage such as paralysis, swelling Fist of the North Star style, etc.), a Ripple Cutter that would let the Hamon User spit out sharp blades of spittle at the enemy, and lastly Hamon Breathing which would temporarily boost the User's strength and agility (very short duration but the User could use it again in a similarly short amount of time).

If you so wish I can link you a download to that version I made, it's really basic though (another reason it flopped) so be warned.

2. Spin:
Spin an alternate universe version of Hamon where instead of their power coming from breathing Spin uses the rotation and acceleration of objects to launch things such as balls, bullets, and even dirt.
Of course, as with Hamon, Spin can be used for a multitude of purposes besides attacking such as controlling the muscles of others, increasing the sturdiness of the body, the ability to partially control their projectiles, and more.

I have barely started Part 7 of JoJo so most of my info comes from the wiki page:

Also, I didn't say Stands because that would just be impossible in current Dwarf Fortress, well... maybe until the magic update is released at least (whenever that'll be).

Edit: Forgot to mention that Hamon Users and Spin Users are still mortal, but Hamon does extend the user's life expectancy by quite a few years. Another thing about Hamon is that if the user loses their ability to breathe they won't be able to use any of their abilities, so being able to breathe is a requirement.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:01:50 pm by BluealienDio »
My Mods:
Team Dwarftress 2: Creature Packs: [WIP]

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2019, 05:20:05 pm »

Is it possible to create secrets that allow you to summon [Stands] from Jojo?

BluealienDio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2019, 05:33:53 pm »

Is it possible to create secrets that allow you to summon [Stands] from Jojo?
Technically, yes. Stands like「Limp Bizkit」could be since all it does is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or even「Justice」which does more or less the same thing but without the
Heck, maybe even pre-Za Warudo 「Star Platinum」could theoretically be implemented.

But stands like「Killer Queen」would be rather hard to implement due to the lack of
in DF. Dear god, I don’t even know how「King Crimson」or 「The World」would work.

But besides that, the main problem is: How would they be summoned?
The current only way to truly summon other creatures is with a corpse. Now if we were able to make it so we freely summon creatures that would be a different story.

Now maybe, just maybe with the power of DFHack we could make it work, but I don’t know how to work with DFHack so oof on that one.

Edit: Forgot that syndromes can also transform creatures, so there are some other stands that could work. Isn’t there also a tag that makes creatures transform into other ones on death? If so then「Notorious B.I.G」is possible, technically.

Another Edit: Sorry if I’m coming off as pretentious or moody, I really don’t mean to sound like that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 05:47:41 pm by BluealienDio »
My Mods:

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2019, 04:15:03 am »

Some of the Hamon abilities would be doable I think - there would still be a lot of issues with different things - i.e anything that does edged damage, since there's no option for edged damage with projectile emissions, or Jonathan-style punch-rushes, since interaction knowledge cannot grant additional unarmed attacks.

Also, if it were to be interaction knowledge then even creatures that do not need to breathe would be able to learn it (though with IT_FORBIDDEN:NOBREATHE then they wouldnt actually get any of the abilities - they'd still be able to write books about it to pass the knowledge on to other creatures, though) - being winded also wouldn't affect the ability usage, since there's no checks for that. No life extension thing other than immortality is possible either - and no imbuing objects with certain properties.

Spin I'd have to read more about since I'm not on part 7 yet (only recently finished part 5 - I'd probably be going through it faster but mangas are rather difficult to find where I live and also expensive, so I'm kinda reliant on the anime). From a quick skim it seems to run into similar issues as with Hamon, though.

As for Stands, yeah, those are completely out on account of a lot of properties just not being doable at the moment - the least janky way to do them would be to have a "stand-user" creature, with the stand itself being additional body parts capable of the rush-attacks (since again, if it was interaction knowledge then no additional unarmed attacks are gained - could use SOLID_GLOB material emissions but then you end up with something like Star Platinum launching its fists 20 or more tiles away which shouldn't be happening, or the fist getting stuck in a wound), though of course this runs into several issues already - no "transfer damage to equivalent user limb" thing going on, non-stand users could attack the stand itself too, etc. The reanimation thing could in theory work but then since there's no way to limit how many creatures you can reanimate you could end up with 4 King Crimson's following you (plus short of getting some high combat skills they'd be incredibly easy to hit and put down - reanimated creatures have worse combat rolls by default and are also easier to hit)

Some of the simpler stand abilities like Justice or Limp Bizkit would be possible since it's just reanimation with a few additional caveats, yeah. Stuff like Killer Queen though (and Bites the Dust and Sheer Heart Attack especially) just isn't possible - even putting aside the "no explosion physics" thing, there's the other issues of "make creature into a bomb" (material properties can't be changed on the fly, short of a transformation but that comes with a body plan change) or "detonate remotely" also being outright impossible. Then of course there's all the other weirder stands like Osiris, Sethan, Strength, Talking Heads or Highway Star that just can't be replicated. Even the Time Stop can't really be replicated like this since even if you reduce the speed of every creature around to 1% they can still fight back and the damage they take is instantenous, rather than waiting until the end of the duration to induce all that damage at once.

Funnily King Crimson is probably the one whose ability can be replicated, somewhat - highly improving rolls+massive speed increase (something ridiculous like tenfold) for a very short period with a short cooldown - so from a player's perspective the creature will most likely dodge any possible attack and due to the speed increase it will look like it just teleported elsewhere - whereas as a player you're moving much faster than everything else to where other creatures appear really slow, and you're more than likely guaranteed to hit anything.

BluealienDio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2019, 07:49:15 am »

Some of the Hamon abilities would be doable I think - there would still be a lot of issues with different things - i.e anything that does edged damage, since there's no option for edged damage with projectile emissions, or Jonathan-style punch-rushes, since interaction knowledge cannot grant additional unarmed attacks.

Also, if it were to be interaction knowledge then even creatures that do not need to breathe would be able to learn it (though with IT_FORBIDDEN:NOBREATHE then they wouldnt actually get any of the abilities - they'd still be able to write books about it to pass the knowledge on to other creatures, though) - being winded also wouldn't affect the ability usage, since there's no checks for that. No life extension thing other than immortality is possible either - and no imbuing objects with certain properties.

Spin I'd have to read more about since I'm not on part 7 yet (only recently finished part 5 - I'd probably be going through it faster but mangas are rather difficult to find where I live and also expensive, so I'm kinda reliant on the anime). From a quick skim it seems to run into similar issues as with Hamon, though.

As for Stands, yeah, those are completely out on account of a lot of properties just not being doable at the moment - the least janky way to do them would be to have a "stand-user" creature, with the stand itself being additional body parts capable of the rush-attacks (since again, if it was interaction knowledge then no additional unarmed attacks are gained - could use SOLID_GLOB material emissions but then you end up with something like Star Platinum launching its fists 20 or more tiles away which shouldn't be happening, or the fist getting stuck in a wound), though of course this runs into several issues already - no "transfer damage to equivalent user limb" thing going on, non-stand users could attack the stand itself too, etc. The reanimation thing could in theory work but then since there's no way to limit how many creatures you can reanimate you could end up with 4 King Crimson's following you (plus short of getting some high combat skills they'd be incredibly easy to hit and put down - reanimated creatures have worse combat rolls by default and are also easier to hit)

Some of the simpler stand abilities like Justice or Limp Bizkit would be possible since it's just reanimation with a few additional caveats, yeah. Stuff like Killer Queen though (and Bites the Dust and Sheer Heart Attack especially) just isn't possible - even putting aside the "no explosion physics" thing, there's the other issues of "make creature into a bomb" (material properties can't be changed on the fly, short of a transformation but that comes with a body plan change) or "detonate remotely" also being outright impossible. Then of course there's all the other weirder stands like Osiris, Sethan, Strength, Talking Heads or Highway Star that just can't be replicated. Even the Time Stop can't really be replicated like this since even if you reduce the speed of every creature around to 1% they can still fight back and the damage they take is instantenous, rather than waiting until the end of the duration to induce all that damage at once.

Funnily King Crimson is probably the one whose ability can be replicated, somewhat - highly improving rolls+massive speed increase (something ridiculous like tenfold) for a very short period with a short cooldown - so from a player's perspective the creature will most likely dodge any possible attack and due to the speed increase it will look like it just teleported elsewhere - whereas as a player you're moving much faster than everything else to where other creatures appear really slow, and you're more than likely guaranteed to hit anything.
Yeah, I figured Hamon and Spin would impossible to implement 100% accurately, but Hamon has the ability to do Fist of the North Star-esc asspulls so I really don’t mind. Spin on the other hand I don’t know that much about either, since I just started Part 7 yesterday but it seems to be more combat oriented with some healing abilities on the side.

Justice, Limp Bizkit, and pretty much any other stand that can revive the dead would be quite easy to create like you said since it’s pretty much just a necromancer with extra abilities. Healing stands might be possible (an interaction that can either basically instantly heal (Crazy Diamond) or heal over a period of time (Gold Experience)), maybe gun stands could work, but you wouldn’t be able to control them so it would pretty much just be a free ranged attack.

Honestly I really didn’t think of King Crimson being possible at all so that actually surprised me. It would be awesome to actually see that in-game, two humans duking it out in a town as the crowd around them watches in awe when one gets sent flying into the nearby river.
My Mods:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7