Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming/Agriculture Mod?  (Read 3011 times)

Akiinyone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Farming/Agriculture Mod?
« on: August 27, 2019, 11:00:53 pm »

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but I've tried the wiki and the most recent threads for this subject in the forums and on reddit seem to be at least 3 years old at this point.

Is there a way currently in the game, or some sort of path towards modding in, planting/harvesting plants in Adventure Mode? I'd love to do a sort of Harvest Moon-esque playthrough where I gather plants from far and wide to make a garden I can harvest from to cook unique dishes. Adding in the plants and reactions for the cooking aspect seems straightforward enough but I'm not sure how to go about planting and growing the crops.

If it's not already in the game is there a possible way to finagle it in with floor tiles or some sorta food expiration trickery (ie leaving a seed out to rot 'grow' and using a reaction to 'harvest' it)?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 11:05:06 pm by Akiinyone »

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming/Agriculture Mod?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 03:30:48 am »

Advfort allows many fortress actions, like creating a farm field, seeding and harvesting plants.

You need dfhack for it.

In the console you type advfort.

In the game you press ctrl-t. Topline should show interface. Tab will start seeding / harvesting on a farmfield.

Esc leaves the interface so you can use all the game commands again (movement is possible while in ctrl-t mode, but many commands, do not work).

---

Advfort interactions often do not work with reagents in hand. Drop the seeds or put them in backpack before trying to use.

With shift-T you can cycle through the advfort actions. One of them is build. If you use that by moving carefully or waiting a menu opens where you can select a farmfield (and about every other fortress constructible object).

There is the gather plant option too in the list of advfort actions. Not sure if it works.

Cooking and brewing will work too - press tab while standing on a workshop while in ctrl-t mode. Have the ingredients lying on the floor in the workshop.

Disadvantage is when you start working a counter starts running. During this time - for many actions around 100 ticks - you cannot react to threats. You only stop working after getting hurt, just like when performing.

It's fun to see how skill, thirst and all those dwarf attributes change the job length.

Akiinyone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Farming/Agriculture (Mod?)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:10:49 am »

Oh wow, thanks a whole bunch. I don't think the gather plant action works, but I can easily work around that with dfhack, thank you again!