Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So does killing the president do anything?  (Read 27397 times)

devilchao0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So does killing the president do anything?
« on: August 31, 2019, 02:36:17 am »

So first I kidnapped him and I was able to make him join my cause through beatings.  I waited a couple months and nothing really happened, so I had him go an kick in a door and surrender to the police and an interrogator turned him back to conservatism.
I then went back and snuck into the white house again and this time I just killed him and escaped.  Then the VP took over.  I'm at full Juice so I don't know if that is an action that nets you a ton of it or something.  But it didn't seem to actually do much.

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
Re: So does killing the president do anything?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 05:33:19 am »

So first I kidnapped him and I was able to make him join my cause through beatings.  I waited a couple months and nothing really happened, so I had him go an kick in a door and surrender to the police and an interrogator turned him back to conservatism.
I then went back and snuck into the white house again and this time I just killed him and escaped.  Then the VP took over.  I'm at full Juice so I don't know if that is an action that nets you a ton of it or something.  But it didn't seem to actually do much.
Does nothing past that currently.

Open to ideas if you've got any.
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 08:36:47 am »

Yeah, at the moment, assassinating the president doesn't accomplish much.

This is realistic - it's the reason why the president and VP are in the same party. That said, it's not LCS-y, so changing it would be good!  ;)

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 03:21:12 pm »

This is realistic - it's the reason why the president and VP are in the same party. That said, it's not LCS-y, so changing it would be good!  ;)

I've a good idea: a POTUS would have popularity tracked by the game. We could introduce the concept of radicalization, or when persons adopt a more extreme version of their ideology (Conservative to Arch-Conservative, Liberal to Elite Liberal, with Moderates going either to Conservatism or Liberalism; we would also have a heightened support for armed factions), along with the concept of selective radicalisation, with conservative radicalisation (when voters go one ster nearer from Conservatism) and Liberal radicalisation.

Of course, the LCS could never murder a Liberal POTUS.

Then, depending of the popularity, the following could occur:
  • A popular POTUS who had been murdered would bring more voters to his side, while the culprit side would lose voters by selective radicalisarion: for exemple, if Robert Jones, a popular Conservative POTUS, is murdered by the LCS then Conservative radicalisation would occur, meaning more Conservative voters, with further more of them Arch-Conservative, and less Liberal and Moderate ones, along with more support for the CCS, meaning they would have more resources.
  • However, an unpopular POTUS would see an outburst of support to the murderers for their tyrannicide but a radicalisation of his remaining partisans: if our Robert Jones was widely despised in the population then the LCS would get support and more persons would be Liberal; OTOH, the remaining Conservatives would be more radical because "our President has been assassined", meaning more Arch-Conservatives and more support for the CCS
In both cases, the authorities would get more repressive against extremists, meaning police would be tougher, along with the trial judges.[/li]
[/list]

We could even add other targets for political assassination, such as SCOTUS Justices.

The mechanism I propose would give benefits to such actions without making them overpowered: if I get more police raids after killing the President then I would be more cautious, before and after, meaning I would lay low.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 06:58:12 pm »

In my opinion, killing the president should make people more "tolerant" of using political violence. If the LCS keeps assassinating Conservative presidents, what's keeping the CCS from assassinating any Liberal presidents in return? Maybe assassinating too many presidents could literally balkanize the country and result in something like martial law being declared? There's cut code in LCS's source files mentioning something about ENDGAME_MARTIALLAW, IIRC.

You'd think that in a game where the LCS keeps going full-on guerrilla warfare that all that violence would have consequences. But other than constantly getting raided by cops, the army, and the CCS? No consequences, and it's actually one of the faster ways to liberalize the country and win, IIRC.

I've a good idea: a POTUS would have popularity tracked by the game. We could introduce the concept of radicalization, or when persons adopt a more extreme version of their ideology (Conservative to Arch-Conservative, Liberal to Elite Liberal, with Moderates going either to Conservatism or Liberalism; we would also have a heightened support for armed factions), along with the concept of selective radicalisation, with conservative radicalisation (when voters go one ster nearer from Conservatism) and Liberal radicalisation.

Of course, the LCS could never murder a Liberal POTUS.

Then, depending of the popularity, the following could occur:
  • A popular POTUS who had been murdered would bring more voters to his side, while the culprit side would lose voters by selective radicalisarion: for exemple, if Robert Jones, a popular Conservative POTUS, is murdered by the LCS then Conservative radicalisation would occur, meaning more Conservative voters, with further more of them Arch-Conservative, and less Liberal and Moderate ones, along with more support for the CCS, meaning they would have more resources.
  • However, an unpopular POTUS would see an outburst of support to the murderers for their tyrannicide but a radicalisation of his remaining partisans: if our Robert Jones was widely despised in the population then the LCS would get support and more persons would be Liberal; OTOH, the remaining Conservatives would be more radical because "our President has been assassined", meaning more Arch-Conservatives and more support for the CCS
In both cases, the authorities would get more repressive against extremists, meaning police would be tougher, along with the trial judges.[/li]
[/list]

We could even add other targets for political assassination, such as SCOTUS Justices.

The mechanism I propose would give benefits to such actions without making them overpowered: if I get more police raids after killing the President then I would be more cautious, before and after, meaning I would lay low.

+1 to this, especially being able to do political assassinations of SCOTUS Justices.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 07:03:19 pm by Taberone »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:16:01 pm »

When I get to it, I plan on adding this feature in the faction system (the more political violence there is in the news, the more factions will engage in violence with each-other)

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 11:27:53 pm »

When I get to it, I plan on adding this feature in the faction system (the more political violence there is in the news, the more factions will engage in violence with each-other)

Civil War Crime Squad soon? Nice.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 04:12:29 pm »

Civil War Crime Squad soon? Nice.

More like Weimar.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 12:53:57 am »

I noted with the first post that having the President as a sleeper apparently didn't do anything.  That should probably get fixed first.
A simple change of the President from Conservative/whatever to Elite-Liberal (maybe with an asterisk since its not publicly known, at first).
Maybe it shouldn't be like a normal sleeper, it might require a command where the President is released from the LCS.  Maybe even another story where the President is treated for trauma (a random roll to see if the brainwashing sticks, or gets reverted).

He/She/Xe's the fucking President.  They're not going anywhere, even if their political alignment goes a complete 180.  Although, flipping a Supreme Court Justice may be more powerful in the long run.

Popular theory regarding Vice-Presidents is that they're generally not as good in some way as the President.  That is why they didn't get the Presidential nomination themselves.  So, if the Vice-President takes over as President, there should be a set of random events (News Stories) where the Vice-President fucks thing up and the country goes more in the opposite direction.  Being a game of randomness, there should also be a chance that the Vice-President as President actually does a better job of representing their party, and events that benefit their party trigger instead.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 10:04:09 am »

What I'd suggest is that a sleeper president given orders to advocate liberalism should shift his alignment to L+ and start behaving like an L+ president, but that a president told to lay low, embezzle, or snoop should continue to pretend to be his actual alignment.

Sleeper presidents are useful in vanilla LCS, though, because they are of the creature class Politician, which is one of the two classes capable of leaking the CCS backer list...

The Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 02:18:42 pm »

What I'd suggest is that a sleeper president given orders to advocate liberalism should shift his alignment to L+ and start behaving like an L+ president, but that a president told to lay low, embezzle, or snoop should continue to pretend to be his actual alignment.

Sleeper presidents are useful in vanilla LCS, though, because they are of the creature class Politician, which is one of the two classes capable of leaking the CCS backer list...

You could probably have some sort of gameplay incentive for keeping them laying low as well; if say their infiltration level drops too low and congress/the senate is Conservative, they might get impeached and removed. Although it also might be too easy to game the system to just have them lay low for all the months that the presidency doesn't matter and then activate them when it comes time to veto laws or appoint supreme court justices. Maybe having the president act against their "public" alignment gives a big hit to infiltration.
LCS Graphical Remake:

https://the-cheshire-cat.itch.io/lcs
Current progress: ~100%

Basilleus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 07:08:48 pm »

Actually, yeah. Adding the SCOTUS building and the Capital Building as locations, as well as MAYBE the Pentagon, would be useful, and probably should be done.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 12:18:18 pm »

So, anyone planning on implementing a way for the LCS to raid the Capital Building?  Seeing as the CCS already did it in real life...
Too soon?

Lemming Dwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 03:42:39 am »

Bit of a necro but I've made a bit of progress into making the President more interesting. You could just go and download it (Link at the bottom) But wouldn't be more fun to read this really long and quite frankly unnecessary changelog I wrote for my minor changes? I'll leave that choice up to you.
***FEATURES***
* President now has a unique sleeper function! When set to "Advocate Liberalism" they will act like a L+ in bills! (they *might* vote for Liberal supreme court justices I can't remember if they currently do)(currently doesn't change their colour in the politics screen.)
* If the President is apart of the active squad the are considered "missing" and the VP will vote on bills in their place (I'm not American so this might not be how that works. If not let me know and I'll change it)
* If the President is missing for longer than 12 - LCSRandom(7-1) (math is a bit random I just kinda threw it in there) the VP will just take over and the president will become an ex-president.

***BUGFIXES***
* you can no longer duplicate the President. As they should now not be present at the White House while they is being recruited, kidnapped, and dated. They are also no longer at the White House if they are apart of the active LCS.(whether in the current squad or not) This also prevents you from duplicating the President if they are a sleeper. (if you try to talk or date them it will print a unique message) If I've missed any President duplication bugs please let me know.

***BUGS***
* Not an issue with anything I've written but it seems to be something I can't fix. The function that promotes the VP does not change the variable that changes the Presidents unique id. This means that in some cases, killing a ex-president will kill the ex-VP now President. The reason I can't fix this is due to how headers seem to work with LCS. I've written a bit of C++ but the amount of conflicts all 70 of the headers cause if I try and fix it cause seems to prevent me from changing this. (If anyone knows a way to include the Unique Creatures class in politics.h without the conflicts please submit a pull on the git .)
* The for whatever reason the unique dialogue you get when talking to a Sleeper President seems to randomly occur when talking with the Corp CEO. I have no Idea why as I haven't edited the Unique Creatures class in any way.

***TODO***
* Add a mechanic to handle the President constantly voting against their party. I'm currently toying with the idea of impeachment (and execution if laws are C+ enough) and (permanent?) infiltration hits .
* Custom events if the President is seen fighting with the Liberal Crime Squad in public.
* Ability for the President to cancel police, military and CIA raids if their infiltration is high enough.

If anyone would be willing to rewrite the unique  sleeper turn down dialogues and/or write newspapers for the events in TODO I would greatly appreciate it. I would do it myself but I'm not at all good a writing (as you might be able to tell from this post)

LINK:https://github.com/Lemminggit/LCSPrestest (for whatever reason I downloaded lcs as a .zip instead of forking and then cloning it. So the repo is currently not a fork of the main one)
(just download a zip and run the exe.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:08:03 am by Lemming Dwarf »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 07:00:34 pm »

If anyone would be willing to rewrite the unique  sleeper turn down dialogues and/or write newspapers for the events in TODO I would greatly appreciate it. I would do it myself but I'm not at all good a writing (as you might be able to tell from this post)
You bet :D

LINK:https://github.com/Lemminggit/LCSPrestest (for whatever reason I downloaded lcs as a .zip instead of forking and then cloning it. So the repo is currently not a fork of the main one)
(just download a zip and run the exe.)
I made the same mistake when I forked from Kamal-Sadek
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe
Pages: [1] 2