Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Homeworld 3  (Read 4245 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Homeworld 3
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:56:25 am »

yup, its happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs

however, this is more like calling everybody to help crowdfunding it. you can check the campaign here:

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Homeworld 3
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 12:17:24 pm »

Been funded already apparently. It's really fucky tho, having a relatively well known publisher like Gearbox behind you and still going for a crowdfunding option? Like, why, they could've known the viability of the project from the warm reception HW remastered got?

That said, a new RTS in 2019? Sign me up, whatever it turns out to be, glad to see the genre hasn't been completely supplanted by the moba
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 12:39:18 pm »

That said, a new RTS in 2019? Sign me up, whatever it turns out to be, glad to see the genre hasn't been completely supplanted by the moba

Or the boring 4x game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 12:47:10 pm »

Been funded already apparently. It's really fucky tho, having a relatively well known publisher like Gearbox behind you and still going for a crowdfunding option? Like, why, they could've known the viability of the project from the warm reception HW remastered got?

Gearbox is not the publisher, I think, but the developer. Especially since they belong to 2K.

Of course, them being a property of 2K explains why it's crowdfunded: they are one of the greediest publishers around. While I like that we're getting a Homeworld 3, I absolutely despise that they are dodging having to spend any of their money on it by exploiting fan hype.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 12:56:39 pm »

no mention of the delivery platform yet?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 01:12:54 pm »

Been funded already apparently.
Well when your funding goal is $1 its pretty easy to be fully funded.

Gearbox is not the publisher, I think, but the developer. Especially since they belong to 2K.
Blackbird Interactive are the devs. They were the folks who did Deserts of Kharak and have a lot of folks from Relic on their team. Gearbox is publishing the game like they did for Deserts of Kharak and Risk of Rain 2. 2K is not involved at all with Homeworld.

I imagine Homeworld 3 is having a crowdfunding campaign because Deserts of Kharak didn't have amazing sales numbers, and whoever's in charge wanted to make sure the game would actually make money before investing in it. Its not like other game studios haven't gone this route before.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 01:28:19 pm »

Been funded already apparently.
Well when your funding goal is $1 its pretty easy to be fully funded.

Blackbird Interactive are the devs. They were the folks who did Deserts of Kharak and have a lot of folks from Relic on their team. Gearbox is publishing the game like they did for Deserts of Kharak and Risk of Rain 2. 2K is not involved at all with Homeworld.

I imagine Homeworld 3 is having a crowdfunding campaign because Deserts of Kharak didn't have amazing sales numbers, and whoever's in charge wanted to make sure the game would actually make money before investing in it. Its not like other game studios haven't gone this route before.
My bad. Still don't feel good about the crowdfunding because it ain't like they don't have a publisher who should be doing its job and financing them.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 06:01:23 pm »

Color me heavily fucking skeptical. Crowdfunding, not the original studio, and they've soiled the name with one shitty cash-grab already.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 01:34:17 pm »

Color me heavily fucking skeptical. Crowdfunding, not the original studio, and they've soiled the name with one shitty cash-grab already.

BBI is as close to the original team as you're going to get, and DoK is well respected. As far as crowd funding, we'll have to see as it is FIG they are using; the house always wins though.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 06:48:03 pm »

Eh, they have a handful of people from Relic, several of whom worked on Company of Heroes and Dawn of War. It could be bad, it could be ok.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 02:08:38 am »

I would imagine that the main purpose of a big studio crowdfunding is to generate hype and interest. Not that they aren't interested in a cash grab like everyone else says they are as well.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 02:02:45 pm »

$300,000 in 24 hours is a bad sign. I've seen multiple board games at lower price points (an incredibly niche hobby) get crowdfunded bigger/faster. Few people want to pay for another space game that's unreleased. Plus some Homeworld mobile? Eff off. Gearbox could be throwing money straight at this and going through normal AAA channels.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 02:53:07 pm »

5 of the 20 projects that got the most funding on Kickstarter were board games. Only 2 are video games. Board games may be a niche hobby, but Kickstarter projects is a big part of that hobby because of all the models and doodads that need to be made, and knowing how many of those you'll need to make before selling the game is useful information.

Also, the funding goal for the crowdfunding campaign was literally $1. If Gearbox/Blackbird was expecting to fully fund the game through crowdfunding, they'd probably have put in a dollar amount that had been budgeted in some capacity.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 04:02:25 pm »

5 of the 20 projects that got the most funding on Kickstarter were board games. Only 2 are video games. Board games may be a niche hobby, but Kickstarter projects is a big part of that hobby because of all the models and doodads that need to be made, and knowing how many of those you'll need to make before selling the game is useful information.

Also, the funding goal for the crowdfunding campaign was literally $1. If Gearbox/Blackbird was expecting to fully fund the game through crowdfunding, they'd probably have put in a dollar amount that had been budgeted in some capacity.
Well, that sure is a cash-grab.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 07:33:09 pm by Teneb »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 07:13:06 pm »

It's a preorder system. An interest free loan. A few board games from big publishers have done this too with the $1 goal. It was not looked upon with respect.
Pages: [1] 2