Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Marks of Royalty IC  (Read 21706 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Marks of Royalty IC
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2019, 07:13:19 pm »

Not having much to offer any ongoing conversations, and being slightly unnerved by the odd girl staring him as well as everyone else, Flavius moved closer to Morgan intent on striking up a conversation.
"You okay...." He paused as he tried to remember who this one was for a moment. "... Morgan? You seem a bit on edge."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 07:18:00 pm »

Morgan jumped slightly, as if the mage hadn't known Flavius was there.
"Huh? I'm fine. Um. I don't get out much." Morgan's gaze switched from the group to the one speaking, watching the man as if he were a friendly mountain lion. Not an immediate threat, but could become one at any moment. "Or talk much. Renee says I should do it more." Their voice had a faint note of hoarseness, as if it indeed had not been used enough.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2019, 07:34:31 pm »

Flavius nodded in understanding. She was shy and probably was out of her element in a wagon full of people talking.
"Ah, fair enough. So do you know what the plan is? I know you were a bit spaced out before, and it's good to make sure everyone is prepared."

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 08:55:22 pm »

Accompanying the conversations was the repeated, clacking sound of dice on the wagon's floor. Tanec, Fionn, Odette and even Eydis herself joined in on the game of chance. To not provoke unrest by gambling with real money, Tanec simply applied a handful of points to each player and kept note of said points with his other dice. Thanks to them being of different colors, the weighted dice are impossible to get confused with the fair dice, ensuring a few minutes of leisure.

Fionn was in the lead by a few points, followed by Odette and Tanec only being a single point away from each other, with Eydis being left behind a bit.

"Hrm..."

He looks in Eydis' direction for a second before returning his focus on the game.

"... I'll bet all my remaining points on my next roll."

A curious move, given Tanec was in a relatively safe spot right now with Eydis surely ending up to lose the first round. In fact, Tanec is aware that he is doing something stupid within the realm of the game. This, of course, means he has different reasons for why he's doing something like that. He wanted to ambush the dull suspense that was hanging over the game, given that there wasn't much of a noteworthy development in there. In addition, since it was a casual game, he felt like he cannot lose no matter what will happen. If he wins, people will remember his boldness paying off and leave an impression. If he loses, it will get a few chuckles for the next days and he can ride on that friendly ridicule to get closer to the other people, potentially learning interesting tidbits about the people in this group and also about the kingdom he knows little about. No matter what happens, it gives him an excuse to blend in with the group. His true motives cannot be exposed yet.
Plus, he likes Fionn just enough to wanting to mess with him during his lucky streak, he wants to observe Odette's reaction - a hard face to read, certainly - and also wants to see how the Princess deals with sudden turns of fate. Furthermore, he can gauge the reaction of the others paying attention to the game and, in that way, catch a glimpse of each group member's true personality.

That was his plan. That is the man Tanec is. Upholding the masquerade as a boisterous loud mercenary to hide his years of experience as the leader of a guild.

He lost the roll. His points are gone. And in their place, Tanec hopes, he gains more insight on the group.

"Ah well, you win some, you lose some."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:58:06 pm by SirAston »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 04:39:49 am »

"That would be a lovely gesture Emma. I'd certainly appreciate it."
"Perhaps over a cup of tea, we could discuss these. I understand you're a scholar of magic, and the discipline has been something of an interest of mine for a while."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 06:55:58 am »

Morgan's gaze flicked to Flavius, making eye contact with that same stare.
"I was paying attention. We're going to search Pernith for the cult and be subtle about it."
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 10:07:30 am »

Odette honestly didn't know what to think of the nomad's sudden wager. Had they been playing for keeps, he would've just screwed himself out of everything. Then again, the fact that they weren't meant that none of this really mattered in the end... that was probably the only reason he'd been so willing to do it- for shits and giggles essentially, try and spice things up. She couldn't blame him for it, but whether the game mattered or not, Odette didn't care. She was still going to try and win it, simply for the sake of it. And given her closest competitor just lost out, and her main threat was so far ahead...

"Well, that was certainly... interesting. Ya know what, I think I'm going to do the same thing. Everything rides on the next roll."
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 11:01:08 am »

"Yes, among the variety of subjects I have been studying, I have applied myself to magical theory. Though I've only been able to make particular progress with Dark and Anima types, and Anima is... Somewhat more difficult for me as of yet. I don't think I'm quite ready to apply it in a battle situation just yet. Though I wouldn't say I have much practical experience with Dark magic either."

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2019, 11:05:06 am »

Eydis

... Did Tanec seriously just do that? Eydis wasn't a master of gambling games, but she was pretty sure that one didn't just do that out of the blue, and the surprise of the mercenary's move was clear on her face. Now Odette was dong the same move as well, and Fionn was ahead of the both of them. Regardless, the point was that she was behind, and she needed to get back to the others with her next roll, and she couldn't just recklessly go in with her bets.

"I think I'll stick with... Half" Eydis stated after a bit of internal debating, if mostly for the fact that she didn't want to end this round after just a few rolls. That, and she wasn't going to go all in when she was behind.

Gunvald

"It's certainly a possibility Cocytus, but I can't be sure of it yet. I'm sure you'll get your chance to 'smash heads' soon though."
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

RedMageCole

• Bay Watcher
  • My sole interest is uncovering the truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2019, 12:32:06 pm »

Though Fionn was someone who didn't like interacting too much unless he had to, he had to admit the game was pretty fun, even if he wasn't already winning. He was decent at reading people and making strategies... that is why he had gone into this game. It was all luck, but... hey, it was still fun. And the stakes weren't that high, right? It's not like he was winning a smooch from one of the fair maidens he was playing against...

...Hmm, now that he thought about it... Lord Gunvald wouldn't be happy about his thoughts, but Lady Eydis was seriously charming just by the look of her... perhaps it was just the thrill of her being a princess? Ooh, and Odette had just that feisty aura to her, as if she could easily wrap him around her little finger... what a fun little thought!

...A thought that Fionn stopped himself on, and gave a little chuckle out of nowhere that he hoped nobody would notice. How idiotic, Fionn... you remember what happened last time you let a woman run your life... Fionn thought to himself. The game had suddenly become dark...

...Fionn tried to snap himself out of it, putting on a brave smile, no matter how faked his confidence was.

"Very bold of you both! But I'm afraid I have a lead, and I will not lose it! I will go on half myself! I hope luck is in your favor, or you might never catch up to me..."

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »

"How bold of you, Fionn, dowahahaha!"

Even though he said that, internally, he was the most disappointed by Fionn's decision. He has a decent advantage, but got pressured by Odette and Eydis into doing a risky move himself. Someone with foresight would have played it safe and waited for the results before making his next move. The kind of guy who wants to stand out at any price. Then again, Tanec is pretty sure he wants to show off in front of the two women gambling with him. That is also a possible reason. But neither reason is a good one. Tanec hopes Fionn's luck runs out now, to see how he reacts to a devastating blow to his ego.

Odette, on the other hand. Now that is a bold move. Perhaps even bolder than Tanec's own move. She knows that it is a do-or-die situation for her now and she didn't hesitate to act upon it. If she would play it safe, she would only end up struggling together with Eydis while Fionn can improve his lead. She is the kind of person who reckognizes a sudden change in plan and can act accordingly to it without hesitation. A woman he would have loved in his group back then, if he wasn't adamant about only accepting men. Not that he disliked capable women. It's just that when a group is known for only consisting of men, then no one will suspect them if a group of nuns passes those that hunt for the group.

Eydis... Tanec was the most worried about her. But she made the best choice in his eyes. A risk, and yet no desperation. He sees a reflection of her true strength as a person. Maybe she just joined the gamble to calm her thoughts, but in a situation where her royal parents have been murdered, where What's-His-Name has been away for a while, where she was arguing with her brother earlier who could be the culprit despite neither of them having evidence, she decided to risk losing points for a chance at gaining so much more.
The green-haired nomad has a feeling he might serve the two monarchs just a bit longer than initially planned, even after he has fulfilled his true goal... but that's too early to say. Everyone here is still, first and foremost, a tool for Tanec's personal road towards revenge.

"I wish this job isn't so serious, I'd love to go to the next tavern with all of you and try not to wreck it after a keg's worth of beer or two in my stomach, DOWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

ctsun

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2019, 02:41:34 pm »

Emilia was still riding along, singing rather a bit louder.

"Take one down! ♪ Pass it around! ♪"

She suddenly stopped singing, frowning a little. Quite honestly, it seemed as though Mr. Fersand was doing his job a little too well. By this point, they would have ran right into some random bandit already. It happened in all the heroic stories, after all.
Needless to say, she was getting bored. One can only watch the same barren landscape so many times after all. And quite honestly, it's getting a bit depressing to look at. There should be more greens.

With a slight nudge of her knees, her mount rose into the air and landed right on top of the wagon.
Emilia dismounted and poked her head down out of the front opening.

"HIIII! Everyone's upside down. That's new. New is good. There hasn't been anything new out there in a long, long, long, long, looooong time! By the way, how long until Penrith anyway?"

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2019, 02:52:07 pm »

Flavius nods at Morgan's summary.
"Yep. Though, speaking honestly I doubt it'll work very well. We're too well armed for a merchant caravan and they likely have lookouts posted around to watch out for people coming for them."

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 03:25:59 pm »

Eydis

"I'd be more worried about yourself if I were you Fionn. I just need one good roll to catch back up to you" Eydis replied with a very noticable smirk, leaning back onto the wagon's wall as she waited for the next results. Granted, it was quite obviously a lie on Eydis's part, considering she was actually still fairly behind Odette, but this was a game of luck. She just needed one lucky round and she can catch up. That's how it was supposed to work, at least. That said, the game was more enjoyable than she thought, and she felt like she was actually getting to know the two men a bit better. Which was saying a lot, since she had rarely even spoken to them before, since they were part of Gunvald's little mercenary group.

Tanec was the odd one of the two. She couldn't entirely get a grip on what he was like, but he seemed friendly, and felt friendly enough, and that was good enough for her. She probably wouldn't trust him to watch her back, but she could trust him a bit regardless. Fionn, on the other hand, she didn't like, and was certain Gunvald only hired him to annoy her, considering how "proper" and "noble" he acted, along with the gazes he sent her way that she was certain was related to him admiring her looks. Granted, she never really cared about her looks, but she would rather be appreciated for her strengths, rather than just being a pretty face.

God, she hated pretty boys.

"I'll think about that offer though Tanec. I've never actually gone to a tavern before, but I've heard about them from some nobles" she admitted shortly after she leaned back, just as a loud thump erupted from the top of the wagon. The princess only had a few seconds to react to the sound, mostly by looking up with a confused look, before Emilia's head poked out from above the wagon, loudly greeting everyone on the opposite side of where she was.

"Oh, hey Emilia. We should be getting to Pernrith tomorrow" Eydis responded without skipping a beat, barely even moving from her spot as she tilted her head towards the other girl, "I'm... Going to guess you just landed on top of the wagon? Because if so, I don't think it was built to support that kinda weight for long."
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2019, 03:28:49 pm »

"Yes, among the variety of subjects I have been studying, I have applied myself to magical theory. Though I've only been able to make particular progress with Dark and Anima types, and Anima is... Somewhat more difficult for me as of yet. I don't think I'm quite ready to apply it in a battle situation just yet. Though I wouldn't say I have much practical experience with Dark magic either."
"Yes. I confess, I can only call myself a dabbler in relation to you, Burhardt. While I have studied magical theory, I've not quite been so deep in its lore as you. Though I must confess my voyages outside Manoran have granted me a wealth of unfortunate practical experience."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30