Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plants growing things besides fruit?  (Read 2716 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Plants growing things besides fruit?
« on: September 01, 2019, 07:39:40 pm »

I know plants can grow eggs (Though I forget if feather tree eggs even function), but can plants grow other odd edibles? Say, meat? I'm thinking about adding meat vines/leafy meats/whatever you wanna call em, based on various plants from games i play.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Plants growing things besides fruit?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 11:46:10 pm »

I know plants can grow eggs (Though I forget if feather tree eggs even function), but can plants grow other odd edibles? Say, meat? I'm thinking about adding meat vines/leafy meats/whatever you wanna call em, based on various plants from games i play.
This isn't really egg. This just fruit that called egg and made of yolk. 

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:26:59 am »

Since feather tree eggs are made of yolk, there should be nothing preventing you from making fruit made of meat. No idea if carnovorous creatures would actually eat that though.

You could always make a reaction that turns inedible meat fruit into meat of a non-existent creature.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 12:43:56 am »

the item type for the growth still has to be PLANT_GROWTH to be harvested but you could just use [GROWTH_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:DOG:MEAT] to have a dogwood tree grow slabs of dog meat as fruits

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 06:52:40 pm »

What if I want a tree to grow swords?
pug

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 06:39:07 am »

What if I want a tree to grow swords?
Remake elven growing trees?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 08:40:14 am »

Nuts that unfurl into elven furniture (with reactions) on good biome tree-types perhaps to simulate crafting tree.

Gosh i wish we had a sapling planting, best we could perhaps manage is spontaneously summoning a sapling in with a DFhack script set to 'react-trigger' and somehow guide it to the right place.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:42:29 am by FantasticDorf »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 09:21:49 am »

Nuts that unfurl into elven furniture (with reactions) on good biome tree-types perhaps to simulate crafting tree.

Gosh i wish we had a sapling planting, best we could perhaps manage is spontaneously summoning a sapling in with a DFhack script set to 'react-trigger' and somehow guide it to the right place.

A new building, Sapling, that requires a tree seed and when constructed automatically deconstructs and replaces itself with a sapling matching the seed through DFHack should work.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 09:37:23 am »

A new building, Sapling, that requires a tree seed and when constructed automatically deconstructs and replaces itself with a sapling matching the seed through DFHack should work.

Nice to see the theory taking shape, i have very little technical ability in the field of DFhack scripts,  I suppose you could load in more bonemeal (ground from a quern) to spawn a full tree instead into the sapling unless it fits aesthetic, but to shoot off more ideas on a composter, similarly using mass fertilisation via 'growcrops' or a targeted variation of the script and a nessecity via being outside we could achieve very potent farming scripts.

I wonder what the arguements are for the creation of the heart and tear of the mountains masterwork infinite lava/source wells in regards to how the source blocks are laid outside of the workshop's area. Even if it meant that there were N-S or E-W 1x3 seperate sapling workshops to have equal spacing with the tree being planted outside of it similarly.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 09:57:52 am »

You can create saplings and grow them into trees...

plant
A tool for creating shrubs, growing, or getting rid of them.

Subcommands:

create:   Creates a new sapling under the cursor. Takes a raw ID as argument (e.g. TOWER_CAP). The cursor must be located on a dirt or grass floor tile.
grow:   Turns saplings into trees; under the cursor if a sapling is selected, or every sapling on the map if the cursor is hidden.

Currently it only accepts a cursor for location, but it works; just tested it ingame. All you'd need is to add a location that modtools/reaction-trigger can find.

Self-deconstructing workshops shouldn't be a problem to make. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 01:05:31 am »

Afaik not all vanilla trees have seeds. We've looked making a vanilla mod (i.e. no raws modified) method of tree planting but couldn't make it work nicely though it was a long time ago.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 02:19:13 am »

Afaik not all vanilla trees have seeds. We've looked making a vanilla mod (i.e. no raws modified) method of tree planting but couldn't make it work nicely though it was a long time ago.

Some fruits yield seeds, others generic gatherable nuts, and some im pretty sure drop seedlings to clog up general seed piles. You could get much the same effect by ordering fruit from a caravan to a biome that doesn't have that locally and then planting it down.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 02:47:57 am »

<...>

Some fruits yield seeds, others generic gatherable nuts, and some im pretty sure drop seedlings to clog up general seed piles. You could get much the same effect by ordering fruit from a caravan to a biome that doesn't have that locally and then planting it down.

Huh i've looked over the raws and you are right. Imho it would be coolest to make a script/plugin that checks if nut/fruit/seed is dropped in valid tile. If it is start timer and after some time make a sapling. This would incentivize making tidier forts, make plants multiply, add a way for players to plant non-native trees all in one mechanic.
Alternatively it would be possible to hook into fruit/nut/seed rotting and when it rots do the same.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 03:44:45 am »

Huh i've looked over the raws and you are right. Imho it would be coolest to make a script/plugin that checks if nut/fruit/seed is dropped in valid tile. If it is start timer and after some time make a sapling. This would incentivize making tidier forts, make plants multiply, add a way for players to plant non-native trees all in one mechanic.
Alternatively it would be possible to hook into fruit/nut/seed rotting and when it rots do the same.

Would be interesting but probably not very viable due to vermin attempting to eat it before the timer is up, and also any sort of natural way to do it would be barred without exclusively cheating due to biome. Just like farming plants, i imagine the biome would need to support a range of plants but obviously not all kinds, pine trees over cold areas for instance but thats more of a suggestion since trees in a biome can overlap but are hard-locked.

Conkers (from horse-chestnut trees) would be interesting to expand the range if tree seeds become less useless, some suggestions for alternatives to bridge the gap would be a leafy processible plant drop that produces inedible leaves (possibly some industrial use) and a seed. Alder trees especially seem to be interesting, their flowers have green dye, suitable wood for charcoal, and their nitrogen pulling ability could feasibly(a embellished exaggeration of the truth) be used to apply as fertiliser from dropped leaves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 12:21:26 pm »

Vermin don't eat everything at the same time afaik, so you could manipulate how hard a tree is to grow by varying the time. It's not like planting seeds always takes either.

If you have 200 apricot seeds from already-grown apricot trees, this is mostly about producing wood or making parks, but there is an use case for foreign seeds: there's roughly 20% chance of a given (booze) plant not appearing in desired biome in my experience; so you can have tropical forest without any mangoes (or caverns without nethercap). Then there is a point in getting mangoes from caravans/adventurers/migrants from your previous forts.

80% of the time, it's going to be petty limited, yeah. Even if you have air biome, trees need soil walls underneath, so.

Now, my initial thought was that it'd be more comfortable than a dummy workshop (as you would want to place more than one), able to support placement via stockpile. But dwarves like storing seeds in bags. So you'd have to dump them out and scatter them via bridge or minecart, or not have bags for them.
Pages: [1] 2