Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [44.11] Dwarf Fortress: The Last Age 1.7 (Beta)  (Read 4998 times)

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[44.11] Dwarf Fortress: The Last Age 1.7 (Beta)
« on: March 26, 2018, 09:56:51 pm »

The world is but a corpse. White trees with blackened leaves sway silently atop fields of charcoal grass, and spectral spirits drift idly through the murky and roiling clouds above, swooping down to slay unfortunate mortals with but a touch of their ghostly essence. The remnants of mankind, be they alchemical freaks, occult abominations or degenerated beastmen, wage constant war for what little resources remain. Abandoned clockwork automatons and the outcast half-dead wander the wastes, preying on the unwary and doing just about anything for the right price. Savage and terrible wyrms lurk in the lonely wilds, devouring livestock and burning villages. Werewolves and vampires stalk the lamplit streets and village alleys of what can be termed civilization, spreading their terrible curses with impunity, while masters of the four humors scheme to devour one another to gain ever more power. And the ghastly Preserved, the dead men who stripped themselves of every trace of humanity, relentlessly continue to their march of genocide, leaving no stone un-turned and no brick left standing atop another. This is the last age, the age of the dead and the dying. There is no hope or salvation to be found, only the endless quest to halt or slow the decay that has already eaten so much of what was once a truly beautiful world.

What future is there for such a damnable place? Perhaps you will find the answer. But you will most likely end up as just another fool lying on the side of the road, like so many others.
========================================================================
What is the Last Age?

The Last Age is a total overhaul mod with a gothic and victorian theme, set primarily in the era of pike and shot, where the musket and pole-arm reigned supreme. The civilizations in this mod are either partly undead or have bestial features, with the exception of the rare automaton civilizations, which comprise clockwork golems. Trolls and Ogres are now skulking civs, except they have a chance to siege you as well. True half-dead, those descended from a mating between the dead and the living as opposed to experiments and magical enhancements, are wandering populations like animal men. Less common automaton variants also exist in the same manner. Both of these groups make for useful mercenaries. Ghosts are also very important. All spectral beings beyond the common ghost have the "deathly touch" ability, which upon contact with a mortal has a 20% chance to kill them outright. Keep your distance or kill them quickly. They are weak to silver, as are many other undead or partly undead creatures. There are several new wizard types, including the four alchemancers, which each can manipulate one of the four humors. You can gain the power of an alchemancer by reading their slab or drinking their blood. There are 16 civilizations, 14 of which are playable. I will be continuing to work on the mod as ideas come to me, and greatly appreciate any feedback. As of now, this mod is in the alpha stage and I have a lot more ideas to come, but I want to put this out there on the off chance people see errors that I do not.

Link: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13616

Special thanks to Taffer for the color scheme, Liber Celi for his terrible weapons pack, and IndigoFenix for his mythical creatures.
========================================================================

Changelog:

1.7 Changes:
-Updated to 44.11

1.65 Changes:
-Updated to 44.10.
-Added unique title music.

1.6 Changes:
-Added the content from Liber Celi's terrible weapons pack to the cambion, dhampir, hobgoblin, and clacker civilizations, where they will be commonly found on peasants. My logic here is that these civilizations are advanced enough to have the technology needed to put these crude weapons together (as opposed to the savage satyrs and woodwoses), but also are not so advanced and regimented that the government would prohibit their use by the common folk, like would be the case with revenants, morlocks, and the dvargir.
-Centaurs have a new unique weapon called the bowlance. It is, as you might guess, a lance with a bow integrated into it. It is very large and unwieldy, but centaurs are big enough to use it without much trouble.
-Centaurs start out with one level of skill in archery. The reason for this is that I envisioned the centaur race as an analog for the Mongolian horse-archers of the real world's history, and this will ensure that the majority of their military will use bows and bowlances.
-Revenants start out with one point in crossbow use (read: musket use) and one point in pike use. This should ensure they will function as a traditional pike-and-shot military, as I had originally envisioned. In theory.
-Fixed clockwork horses having a petvalue of 1.
-Rapiers added as a non-military weapon/tool. Most civilized nations will have them.
-The fiendish civilization has been massively overhauled. To contrast more with the ancient and low-technology aesthetic of the preserved, the fiends have been changed into a nation of advanced and infernal technology, with relatively sophisticated technology and equipment such as revolvers and WW1-esque combat rifles, along with various diesel-powered autonomous golems, tanks, and dirigibles.

1.51 Changes:
-Updated to 44.09
-Gnarlwood is now very dense, so it might actually be useful as a weapon material.

1.5 Changes:
-Two new races added, the dark fortress race of hellish Fiends, who have a caste system comprised of lesser demons, soldier demons, and the ruling overfiends, and the Dvargir, who are like normal dwarves except they are more like emotionless, amoral machines of flesh and bone obsessed with working for the sake of working.
-New weapon, the heavy musket. Twice as big and with bullets that are five times as big. Can be found in clockwork, revenant, or dvargir nations. It takes three times as many resources to make as compared to a normal musket, and does not have a bayonet.
-A significant amount of dangerous creatures added to the world, many of which are carnivorous and very large. Some of these creatures are demonic, or were mutated by demonic energies, and will be found in cambion and fiendish civilizations. Many of these beings are inspired or ripped off from popular tabletop encounters, see if some of them ring a bell.
-Removed carnivore status from some civilized races, they shouldn't always die in worldgen now.
-Mod status updated to Beta as it is currently content-filled enough to be enjoyable and unique while still having room for other features.

1.4 Changes:
-Reshuffled some weapons and starting biomes.
-Cambions added. They share blood with infernal beings, are immune to fire, and carnivorous. Civs can be found in deserts and tropical biomes.
-Haunts added. They are playable ghosts and can use the deathly touch ability, but are very fragile.
-Feral skeletons now have a chance to have blades welded to their arms or a cannon implanted in their ribcage.
-Various civs will use feral skeletons as attack animals.
-Plague interaction attached to rats and ghouls (ghouls use it as an attack though) as described in the syndrome page of DF's wiki (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Syndrome#Spreading_diseases). In the event of a plague outbreak, isolate the infected in separate chambers and either let the infection run its course or somehow kill them all. I may tweak this at a later date.
-Reanimating effects now have a chance to happen in any biome, not just evil ones. Probably. Testing it is hard.

1.35 Changes:
-Updated to 44.08
-A Fun and Entertaining fact added to the revenant creature description.

1.3 Changes:
-New civs added, the industrial yet somewhat backwards Hobgoblin cities found in cold regions, and the cave-dwelling gremlins, who use small weapons like daggers, whips, and pistols.
-New creatures added, including the allip, ghoul, mummy, and feral skeleton.
-Most animal men have been removed so as to not crowd out supernatural wanderer populations. A few have been left in because they fit the atmosphere, and several have been renamed to seem more unique and fantastic.
-Various fixes.
-Version numbering system tweaked because I messed that up.

1.2 Changes:
-Hydes added. Hydes are what happens when a person delves too deeply into alchemical research in an attempt to better themselves. While they usually successfully isolate the harmful elements of their personality, those elements take on a life of their own and become a hyde, which will periodically take control of the body and go on terrible crime sprees, augmented by incredible physical strength and boundless cruelty. While usually just hunted down and buried quietly, there are those who seek to harness a hyde's power. While the original potent brew that causes true hydes is far too dangerous to weaponize, the diluted blood of such an unfortunate soul is much more useful. Those who ingest the blood of a hyde will gain half its strength, but will possess it permanently rather than periodically, will not suffer from the random rampages of a true hyde, and will have their temperament change to that of a cruel, prideful, and violent brute. For some, this an acceptable change and highly sought after.
-Patchwork golems added. Essentially frankensteinian abominations with varying deformities and designs, they are exceedingly common for an abomination and a constant nuisance for the civilized countries, as their swarms will often attack caravans and patrols, or even raid villages. That said, there are also communities of patchwork golems that have been adopted and civilized by a willing nation, and due to their size and strength often prove to be a worthwhile addition to the country. But these feral beasts are but pale reflections of what a true scientist can concoct. Those who seek ultimate power over life often turn to creating patchwork golems, becoming mad doctors  and biologists who wage war on the living. The patchwork golems under their control are powerful, unswervingly loyal, and pound for pound a much more significant threat than the common variant, and care must be taken when dealing with them. On the plus side, they must be in physical contact with a corpse to turn it into a another minion, unlike necromancers.
-Spectacles added to some civs.

1.1 Changes:
-With permission from IndigoFenix, I have added a great deal of creatures from his mod 'Mostly Mythical Monsters Modular Mod' into this overhaul. Normally I do prefer to make my own creatures and keep things original, but as a definitively gothic-flavored mod I decided the best thing to do for the sake of atmosphere is to draw from pre-existing historical creatures. Obviously I could just make my own chimeras and wyverns and what have you, but in the end it would simply be much more efficient to take the ones that already existed, and are more or less identical to how they would have ended up if I made them myself, and incorporate them into the mod. However, some names have been changed around, most have gotten a palette overhaul, and a lot of the less "gothic" creatures have been removed. What's left should fit in neatly with the setting and I hope you all enjoy it.
-I have altered the Eloi human cattle so they hopefully function like how plump helmets do as outlined by MMMMM's plump helmet rebellion mechanic.

1.0 Changes:

-1.0 released.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 03:35:38 pm by squamous »
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Last Age 1.0 (Alpha)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:24:16 pm »

This mod sounds neat. I'll be keeping up with its progress for sure.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:37:24 pm »

This mod sounds neat. I'll be keeping up with its progress for sure.

Thanks, I definitely intend to keep working on it.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

Orbotosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:42:26 am »

masters of the four humors scheme to devour one another to gain ever more power. And the ghastly Preserved, the dead men who stripped themselves of every trace of humanity

Hm...
It's a buyers market. The author writes what sells, catering to the lowly demands of uneducated masses. In this case, apparently, charioteers.
Can we get migrant sponge cooks, a squid for bookkeeper, a starfish peasants, squirrel mechanics, vermin invaders, and cook roast crab meats? 

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 05:25:03 am »

masters of the four humors scheme to devour one another to gain ever more power. And the ghastly Preserved, the dead men who stripped themselves of every trace of humanity

Hm...

I dunno what it is but it looks neat.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:35:24 am »

Hm...
What are you even trying to say?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 06:29:55 am »

Hm...
Are these based on Toady One's cool crayon drawings?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: [44.09] Dwarf Fortress: The Last Age 1.51 (Beta)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 08:46:37 am »

PTW
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: [44.09] Dwarf Fortress: The Last Age 1.6 (Beta)
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 09:33:31 pm »

PTW

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: [44.11] Dwarf Fortress: The Last Age 1.7 (Beta)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 11:43:21 am »

...I wonder if this'll be updated for the Villain release. I hope so, because this happens to be a favorite of mine.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 03:21:27 pm »

...I wonder if this'll be updated for the Villain release. I hope so, because this happens to be a favorite of mine.

This mod lends itself well to worlds of villainy too.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 05:36:29 pm »

the Dvargir, who are like normal dwarves except they are more like emotionless, amoral machines of flesh and bone obsessed with working for the sake of working.
sounds like the capitalist ideal