Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Favourite features of the mod  (Read 14403 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite features of the mod
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 09:06:44 pm »

I'd totally be willing to make a new version of Kobold Mode, at least if making an independent module that can be dragged and dropped onto Masterwork isn't too much of a compatibility pain. And if you're ok with me basing it at least partially off the 34.11 version of kobolds for the basic stuff like bone/leather workshops and the kobold race/civilization. And of course if you don't have your own preexisting plans for Kobold Mode.
Mh? The 44.12 version has a fully fledged kobold mode...

Wow I guess I'm really behind on masterwork development then. I guess there goes the next five hours.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 09:11:04 pm »

Villains? Summoning? No idea...

Completely unrelated to that, do you know which I miss most? ... WARLOCKS!

Small groups of necromancers, with their zombies and skeleton armies.

I mean, look at them? Who could say no to these faces?

The crypt lord even brought a full regiment.

And the ghoul master tries to keep his zombies in line.

Muha... Mu HAHA MUAHAHAHAHA!!! (In case you have no idea what I'm talking about: MasterworkDF 34.11 had a massive (30 days of full time work) mod full of necromancers. To this day the most complex mod for DF I think. Guess what I'm working on right now? :P )
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 09:21:21 pm »

Muha... Mu HAHA MUAHAHAHAHA!!! (In case you have no idea what I'm talking about: MasterworkDF 34.11 had a massive (30 days of full time work) mod full of necromancers. To this day the most complex mod for DF I think. Guess what I'm working on right now? :P )

I wanted desperately to make a fort that resembled some old-ass barrows or something. And just keep groups of elite skeletal killing machines ready to unleash on my enemies. never got around to it. Loved the little fuckers, but the longest running dungeon I had I lost with Riverrun.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 05:56:02 pm »

New Masterwork? And you want us to pick what we thought was good? Hmm...

The Gnome Add-on! I never quite got to play it when it was a major thing, but i would love to play it in a modern Masterwork! Especially without DFHack, and perhaps we'll get to see some of your own takes on Gnomes.

Also, please have 32-bit support. Not all of us have those fancy 64-bit computers.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 06:37:25 am »

I know it wasn't your work, but since they're generally my favorite Masterwork race, I'd love to see a new, streamlined version of the Orcs.  The ones that exist are really fun, but they're bloated with a bunch of different features that kind of run in different directions.  I'd want to see a version that dials in on the, to me, most interesting bits of their gameplay - the tribal/primitive gear that lets you put together a functioning fort and militia out of hunting/ranching, the mass production that makes up their midgame (letting them continue to make cheap, plentiful gear when they start accessing metal), and then the raiding of other civs to get access to their stuff.  In general, as much as I love Masterwork, it can tend to be a bit 'more is more', so really dialing in on a few things for any given playable civ to do will make them more interesting to me - humans kind of have that in that their whole industry revolves around gathering coins.

Oh, and if there's gonna be those sorts of trade mechanics in a new Masterwork, I'd honestly prefer 'trade goods' over needing to manage stacks of coins - let me trade gems, totems, or 'sacks of cash'
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »

I really like the variety of decorations.  I spend a good deal of time on an established fort building carpeted hallways, banners in the main throne room, fountain areas near the trading posts, tiles around the kitchens, et al., to make it all Look Good.  Maybe more carpet variety.

I miss all the sieges.  I know, I know, vanilla changes ...

I liked it when the Jotunar (sp?) dropped metal bars.  I also like all the high-end metals that're not only rare but really hard to mass-produce - it's usually just not possible to outfit the whole army in Volcanic, makes it that much more special.

I liked where mints and coins were headed before ... need a screenshot of Urist running from a Forgotten Beast through his coin-drenched throne room ...

I loved the magic castes :)  I like the guildhalls, they seem better than the libraries - maybe it's me, I usually find putting them in castes is way faster and more useful than micromanaging library usage.  Or maybe it's just easier ;)

The only thing I can think of at the moment that I actively dislike is that I find it really, really challenging to distinguish which race is being picked during the world gen maps.  Maybe it's just me.  I usually pick which race I want to play and use my scripts to mod the raws so only the one is available before I start the game.

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 06:52:01 am »

Funnily enough, the things I love about MW34 are bloat.
I love the huge number of animals.
I love the extra enemy races
I love the extra minerals
I love the plethora of playable races and the variety with in them.
I love the complicated warlock magic system, the separate dwarf and kobold systems and both gnome paths
I love the complicated dwarf tech tree and all the extra workshops
I love the longer material tree, and the alternative manufacturing methods

That said, I do use some of the 'simple' options (meat and gem shapes) because they make sense or have no real impact on immersion

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 06:17:00 pm »

Bless your soul you beautiful creature you

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 11:20:59 am »

I love a lot of things in masterwork, and other things I never used really.

I don't personally care much for other playable races, never got around to trying them actually. So that's a low priority for me. It remains a game about dwarfs for me, so that's where I'll be playing most the time.

I did enjoy a great many of the additions, from the various workshops to the additional "tiers" of metals. I really enjoy small convenience things, like the brick maker for instance, and like some trade offs when doing the smelting. I can cold hammer in a pinch, throw it all in a giant cauldron for quick processing in the blast or invest a bit more to stretch some resources with the crucible. I think that's something great, and I'd love to see that kept and possibly expanded. We're industrious dwarffolk, I'm sure we have a variety of ways of working metals to suit our needs!

I really enjoy the added variety of plants and wildlife, with their various benefits. The steel and iron oak trees I thought were an incredibly cool feature, and the working of bone and blood to forge some grim but durable metal I really liked! This is perhaps a part where new "races" may be an option. Instead of getting humans, elves, kobolds and whatnot, more specialized dwarven civilizations that have their own thematic differences. A bit like warcraft has it's regular dwarves, the more nature attuned wildhammer (steel oaks restricted to them, some pets restricted, etc) and the more grim dark iron (blood steel restricted to them, golems or other artifice etc). (note: discard the names, I just used them for description of possible differences)

What I do enjoy most, and I REALLY like that aspect, is the added threat from various sources. Digging into a cave? Cool, now you get to fight a hive of giant ants! That's beyond cool, and each cave level being noticeably varied really did a lot for me. Similarly, I enjoy having more varied invaders. While I'm not overly fond of some types like the clockworks or such, they do add a lot by offering variety. Though personally I'd just be happy to have hordes of weaker invaders to slice through :)

Castes are a really cool system too. Specializing your dwarves is incredible. Though I think it may be okay if most dwarves are just generic dwarves (say -25% xp to everything), and specializing them was made convenient and accessible relatively early.

Definitely I would say what I want to see is a renewed focus on the core aspect, which is dwarves, in fortress mode. There can be various kinds of dwarves, which may differ physically when it comes to martial prowess and speed, or even things like tolerance to light and the likes. Or cannibalism or whatnot. Some of those civs may have access to things that others don't. More sturdy and cannibalistic dwarves that have a hard time getting mithril, but get into blood steel instead. Some more naturally attuned ones, who get minerals by planting trees/plants that drain the earth of iron/copper/whatnot and can then be harvested and processed (more labor intensive, multiple steps) but would be less limited by their surroundings and have a renewable sources of metal. The more dratitional dwarves we're used to, with a knack for smithing and getting those high-quality metals produced in good amount, like mithril and whatever trumps that, while being fond of trade. Another civ could rely a bit more on clockwork constructs, and be unique in that it uses gunpowder for a very solid ranged option, while golems or machines pin the enemy in place. There's lots of options in making the dwarf experience unique and varied, by just adding and removing a few options from different dwarves civs, and fiddling with their ethics a bit. There is imo no need to implement fully playable different kinds of races, which all takes a lot of time. Dwarves are such a solid foundation and could be morphed into varies branches that are different enough yet keep the core gameplay to make the experience fresh and unique for years to come!

Most importantly though should be a consideration for stability and performance. I really came to love generic materials, not just for performance purposes, but also for ease of use in many aspects. Sure, a little bit of flavor is lost, but the benefit is quite enormous!

Either way, I'm looking forward to what you have in store for us, and hopefully there will be adequate documentation for the mod when it comes out. I really enjoyed the manuals you made, and they've been most helpful many times.

Cheers and thanks for your renewed commitment to make an amazing game even more awesome.
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 03:53:52 pm »

Aby news and updates from Meph or is he missing again? :(
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Apollo Densin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 01:22:31 pm »

So for me, one of the cooler things is the abundance of dwarf specfic domesticated animals and expansion of plants. I tend to go fairly heavily into farming on my runs, selling food and cloth while keeping my dwarf forged weapons and armor to myself because they are most expensive and I am a greedy dwarf. The base animals without adding in extras from other mods are pretty great to have and do a lot of unique things, although I think the spider for silk should be something added in base wise as well, or maybe a mushroom with extremely fine hairs to make an earth silk, but has a really long grow time or needs multiple stacks in order to harvest, but has high value. Golems are pretty neat and I think their ability to be made by a dwarf is pretty great as well, although I would avoid having to sacrfice a dwarf for one. Sort of a heavy shock trooper that the dwarves can call upon, but can not be made from any material better than maybe mythril or steel. A stone golem could be a good one as well.

I am not a huge fan of the caste system in the case of the dwarves but I understand why it is in place.

Orcs are extremly fun to play as and I hope they remain a part of the mod, especially if we get a distinct division between them and goblins

One thing I actually do not like about the mod is how hard it is at times to get basic economic rock and metal since a lot of times you fail to get it
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 11:23:51 pm by Apollo Densin »
"Man I just survived an attack by 90 goblins with no loses. I feel so unsafe, time to build more defenses." My typical response to this game

Golbolco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 10:15:23 pm »

Personally, my favorite part of Masterwork is that each race has at least a distinct playstyle or vibe, even if it could be made even more distinct. I really want to see more limitations, challenges, and tech trees available between each race that make them different from the others. I don't care which race gets what feature (if thematically appropriate) but I would like to see more diversity and distinction between each civilization.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 05:56:40 pm »

I'm kinda missing. Running around mountains for the next 3 weeks, then there is Steam, and the Meph tileset. So atm I'm just gathering ideas, can't code anything. But I'm reading everything and taking notes. :)

I mean, the old mod has 10k, new masterwork 20k, and the tileset 12k downloads, just of the current versions. No way I'll abandon this. Just a lot going on. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 03:32:16 pm »

I would say fukk the steam and fukk the tileset, and get the mod into working order, but who am I go give you priorities.

Anyway, one feature I really, really would like to keep, is Hermit mode.

I always mod in an ability to spawn more Bobs, I think this should be some mid to end game feature available in the mod already.
All them constructs and stuff, that sort of thing.

Plain reason is that I kinda hate randomness of the population coming in and messing up everything.
I'm fine with new Bob being bare naked and having no skill, as long as I can control how many new Bobs pop up every season.
I'm not fine with ten new legendary cheese makers hating the plant and the drink I have the largest stockpile of. And demanding beds and clothes and what not.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Angel71090

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2020, 04:31:41 pm »

I would say fukk the steam and fukk the tileset, and get the mod into working order, but who am I go give you priorities.

Anyway, one feature I really, really would like to keep, is Hermit mode.

I always mod in an ability to spawn more Bobs, I think this should be some mid to end game feature available in the mod already.
All them constructs and stuff, that sort of thing.

Plain reason is that I kinda hate randomness of the population coming in and messing up everything.
I'm fine with new Bob being bare naked and having no skill, as long as I can control how many new Bobs pop up every season.
I'm not fine with ten new legendary cheese makers hating the plant and the drink I have the largest stockpile of. And demanding beds and clothes and what not.

Honestly, I think when he is talking about steam, I'm starting to wonder if he wasn't actually contracted to do the steam art in and of itself. Considering the reason why it's going to steam and all that, if that's the case, I completely support him focusing on that.

Now I'm relatively new to this and, as an avid modder, I know the pains of having to tone down what's in a modded game for the sake of simplicity. As far as what I like, for what little I've been able to play so far, I like it as is. Like how modular you already made it, though I can understand the utter annoyance at having to rely on outside programs to do what you want to do. Honestly, I'd say just get rid of as much bloat as you can, and keep whatever you feel really needs to be in there/others want to stay.
Pages: 1 [2] 3