Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Legionary’s Life  (Read 7105 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: A Legionary’s Life
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 12:58:27 pm »

Are the events fixed?
I think there's either some randomness involved, or they're deterministic and dependent on your stats. First time I did Macedonian campaign I encountered the wiry peltast, the second time around I was a much better fighter and encountered the Bulwark and the chiliarch instead.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 01:06:10 pm »

PTW, this looks fun. Hopefully it gets lots of love and development, I dig fun RPGs in this era and setting. (Like Nethergate, but that was ages ago).
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 02:49:42 pm »

i would love some adventure games like this on mobile

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 06:20:46 pm »

My biggest problem right now is that with how formulaic fights are, a disadvantageous fight is extremely hard to deal with.  If you're in a no-limit fight against someone stronger, there's really nothing you can do but keep using respite and recover and pray he doesn't hit you before he's exhausted.
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 06:51:49 pm »

But then again, that works like a charm.

GalacticMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 02:19:34 pm »

ok, tried this. It's... pretty ok. The events and training to upgrade your stats is kinda fun, what I don't like (probably because I don't understand them) are fights. I'm trying to do feints, shield bashes etc, but whenever someone has low positioning (or however it is called) I miss attacks and they recover quickly, so the fights take ages and no one dies. Would be nice if the combat tutorial was better.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 04:31:19 pm »

Finished the game with a 40 int meatslab of a character. Won a civic crown in Africa and killed the peltast in Macedonia. Think I'm done for a while, since performing better probably means grinding out another 10 games to improve my starting points spread, and the replayability isn't amazing.

ok, tried this. It's... pretty ok. The events and training to upgrade your stats is kinda fun, what I don't like (probably because I don't understand them) are fights. I'm trying to do feints, shield bashes etc, but whenever someone has low positioning (or however it is called) I miss attacks and they recover quickly, so the fights take ages and no one dies. Would be nice if the combat tutorial was better.
If you're missing even when their stance is low, either your stance is also too low, or you just aren't skilled enough. You can shift to max aggressiveness when you're trying to stab someone to improve your odds. If you're in a massed battle, you should play more defensively and just focus on surviving; killing people likely won't speed things up too much. In duels or special events that don't time out, you can exhaust people over time which will make it harder for them to recover.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2019, 03:53:49 pm »

Finished the game with my smartest char ever, also the first to survive all 3 wars. He was pretty quickly promoted.  He was elected quaestor in the epilogue. Not sure if there's anything left to see.
Also the phalanx was a disappointment- it was talked up as this Mecedonian Superweapon, and it wouldn't even attack properly, just kept feinting pushing me.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 04:59:16 pm »

It's wunderwaffe status was not in its ability to commit mass murder, but in its impenetrability.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 05:26:44 pm »

It's wunderwaffe status was not in its ability to commit mass murder, but in its impenetrability.

I do wonder if it is possible to actually beat it head-on in this game?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 05:37:05 pm »

I once broke through the wall. You get into a 1 vs 3 (IIRC) melee fight with the hoplites themselves. Your buddies join in soon.
Whether you do or don't, or how many you manage to kill, doesn't matter for the battle result, of course.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2019, 12:25:04 pm »

"A Legionary's Life" is now officially out of Early Access!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1058430/

Pretty neat game overall, and I do hope the developer will create more of these types of games in different time periods.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2019, 06:53:53 pm »

Wow, this one is a great little gem.  I have been wanting a game like this for ages, where you experience the ordinary grognard's war from a sandals-on-the-ground perspective.  I'm totally transported to the time and place.  It's very well made, simple and satisfying.

Reading some of the above posts, I guess that battle encounters are not as random as they seem?  I'm early on in my first playthrough, so it's all felt pretty organically random so far. 

I feel like this dev could really expand on this core game and make spinoffs (a Napoleonic wars, say?), or just write a more replayable, random campaign experience instead of limiting players to a linear one.  Within the constraints of history of course.

"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 12:45:41 am »

At least in the earlier version I played, everything pretty much happens in the same way each playthrough. There are a few random encounters you can get in different orders or miss, and there are a very few path branches depending on random rolls and your skills at the time, but all the major battles will happen for your soldier each time.

There is some limited replayability in that each character adds (a little) to a pool of bonus points for the next character, but I just couldn't be bothered to grind and grind to get the swordmaster / shieldmaster perks.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 08:51:01 am »

I don't know what his plans are, but if he could rework the engine (if it isnt this way already) to basically integrate editable enemy templates, cutscenes/info-cards, and set piece battles I imagine he could create just about any campaign imaginable. Or even give us modding tools. But like I said, who knows, this has been a pretty big project for him already, and he should be commended for actually finishing it!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3