Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone remember Cow RP and/or Cowed?  (Read 2680 times)

NobleSeagull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone remember Cow RP and/or Cowed?
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:13:57 am »

Hi, been a lurker for years but this is my first post.

I remember seeing a post or two about Cow RP and Cowed back in the day and was wondering if anyone here still remembers it and if so do you have fun stories about them? I spent many days of my youth playing them, shame they're gone but it's nice to reminisce. I always seem to come back to remembering the good days of both games.

Cheers for reading!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone remember Cow RP and/or Cowed?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 09:40:48 am »

I don't remember any specific stories but I think I was a moderator for a hot minute! It was a fun lite roleplaying game.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

NobleSeagull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 02:14:39 am »

It was! It's a shame the drama between the two games destroyed them both. I personally have many a story tell in regards of it.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 02:28:33 pm »

I played it for a bit with my friends. There always seemed to be some form of drama going on ingame, too. What happened to it?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 02:44:44 am »

Cow-rp and cowed would periodically get rehosted.  Cow-RP was basically killed by the imbecile dev who kept stepping in, and godmoding people until they stopped playing.  I played during many of its resurrections, and it was always that.  I swear on all that is holy, one time I formed my own kingdom with only my wits and the threat of being speared to death for disobedience (or failure to pay taxes), and he walks in totally invincible and slaughters me and all my minions.  Ridiculous, impossible to play.  It came back for several months at a time a few times after I gave up, but nobody ever logged in as far as I can see (always a zero player count).  RIP in RIP

No idea what happened to Cowed though, I kindof got the impression it just petered out.  I kindof preferred cow rp because it was a lot more flexible.  You could do almost anything you wanted on cow rp, cowed would run a lot more like ss13 with fixed game modes and clear win/lose conditions.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:48:00 am by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

NobleSeagull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 11:37:23 am »

If I remember correctly, Cowed shut down due to the drama surrounding the games. Something related to the game being a rip of Cow RP. I agree though in regards to Cow RP, I remember quitting at the time due to one of the Administrators giving his model a penis and running around roleplaying about how he had his way with people, stuff like that became very common place by it's end. It's a shame the games are gone, I like to peek at Byond every so often to see if either pop up again, if not for anything else nostalgia.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 01:04:49 pm »

The name of this sounds very very familiar, yet I can only vaguely remember if I actually played it or if I'm just making up memories based on my own imagination. I believe some people here tried to make a dwarf-based spin-off, and I made a handful of sprites for it, but it never got anywhere. Maybe because it was anmed "dwarfed" I'm confusing it with this.

In any case, does this have any screenshots? maybe it would jog my memory.... but, if it's a Byond game then I can see why I wouldn't really remember it.

NobleSeagull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 01:19:03 pm »

I could only find this old video in relation to it, I think there was a let's play somewhere but it's not showing up in my search results; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6kh4BB0uCQ

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 01:37:28 pm »

Oh yes, once I saw that cow sprite in the first image I immediately recognized it. I seem to remember liking the premise behind this game but I never really got into it. Byond is just a pretty.... bad engine to make anything on as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to see something like this get made but I doubt it will ever come up except maybe as someone's passion project.

NobleSeagull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 01:58:44 pm »

Yeah. I'd love to see something similar to be made on another engine/language.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 09:04:18 pm »

If I recall correctly, the admin of Cowed had a lot of beef with the Bay12 forums which was a big turn off for a lot of this community to the game, led to a Bay12 clone of Cowed called Dwarfed, and some other schisms and drama. Some of it played out around here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58014.msg1279262#msg1279262
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

NobleSeagull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 05:02:50 am »

Ah, I had not been aware of this. That's a great shame.

PlayerDeer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 10:21:37 am »

I used to be a big fan of CowRP. I made this a while back.

NobleSeagull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 03:49:47 pm »

I really like that tileset, really well made. No one happens to know a game similar to it, right? I know SS13 exists, but it doesn't have the same simplicity that CowRP/Cowed had I suppose.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 11:23:38 am »

What is this byond thing that enables all of this?
Pages: [1] 2