Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Bloodline: If Mount&Blade and DF Adventurer mode had a baby...  (Read 730 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel

Seriously, great sandbox RPG that allows you for so much. If anyone can't wait for the adventure mode update, this should tide you over: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1159290/The_Bloodline/ - it is not as advanced as Adventurer Mode, obviously, but it still allows you to do so much.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Bloodline: If Mount&Blade and DF Adventurer mode had a baby...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 01:31:40 pm »

Played a bit of that. Seems to have a decent foundation of gameplay mechanics and lore, but still needs a lot of work before it's really a full game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 05:36:51 pm »

I'm seeing a review that expresses concern with a save system that doesn't work. I usually see that as a Red Flag in games.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 01:51:37 pm »

I'm seeing a review that expresses concern with a save system that doesn't work. I usually see that as a Red Flag in games.
How old is that review?  There was an update that changed the save system in October that some people had problems with.

I'm going to keep watching this one.  It has some good bones and just needs time to be fleshed out.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 04:33:45 pm »

It's early access and looks like a lot of work still to do so I wouldn't really say it's red flag if saves aren't always going to work.

I would almost hope saves become incompatible in the future as that's normally a sign of new features.

The game is fun but is a little bit janky at the mo, targeting enemies with spells isn't really clear, and enemy can seem to do it to you when they are glitched in walls, which some teleporting ones can do.

But that being said game is still a WIP and stuff can change, the combat can be quite fun but there are absolutely loads of abilities but you can only really have a few at a time with no quick way to change (a la Skyrim). If you are happy to play EA games this seems like a good one, and hopefully the guy continues it.

I would say the only real red flag is that it's an EA game and I always worry that once they have enough sales they can just be happy to abandon it, I miss those kickstarter days where you can fund a game for like 1/4 of it's likely retail cost and the money really is for development, and feels like a fair trade, instead EA games can be at the actual retail price.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 12:10:41 pm »

Saving most definitely works as I am playing the game over multiple sessions with saving. So either an old review or that person is dumb. The game is absolute blast to play and I have to actively force myself to not play it in order to get shit done.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 03:01:26 pm »

Saving most definitely works as I am playing the game over multiple sessions with saving. So either an old review or that person is dumb. The game is absolute blast to play and I have to actively force myself to not play it in order to get shit done.
Thanks for clarifying. Must have been someone butthurt over losing a save due to an update. Hey, that's just EA.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 06:34:55 am »

All screenshots, video, gif, show large landscape, open roaming, mounts, flying mounts, fun fights, etc.

Not a single shot about the true gameplay loop : do some janky tuff on a small limited map, then go to a loading screen to reach the larger map where you are only a little blip on the (not so pretty) general map. Move to a loading screen, and do some janky stuff on a small and limited map.

Maybe later, but when i tried it in october, i was really disappointed. Sure part my fault i was expecting a kind of Daggerfall maybe, but then realizing what it was, i was also disappointed for what is was. Janky, too early release. Early Access, sure, but more an "Alpha" state.

I hope time will see me wrong about my first impression.