Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: STALKER standalones, mods and -likes: such is life in the zone  (Read 30614 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STALKER standalones, mods and -likes: such is life in the zone
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2020, 11:27:14 am »

I did notice that there wasn't much going on in the wilds of Lost Alpha, but I wasn't sure if that was on purpose or not.

Also do any of the other STALKER games have derivable cars like lost alpha does because even though they're kind of shit I still enjoyed driving around in them.

To bad they still explode at the drop of a hat even with the mod that gives them more health.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2020, 02:23:18 pm »

Lost Alpha original plan (they managed to get the OK from the publisher from what i remember) was to make Lost Alpha a commercial game, but an early version of it was leaked so they abandonned their plan, maybe that explain why most maps feel so empty as they probably lost motivation after the leak.

Vector of Alienation (and probably the mod it comes from , Oblivion Lost Remake) has drivable cars, i got one from Barkeep for 2500 rubbles, never tried to enter any of the cars you find around the maps so no idea if they're all drivable without having to buy one.

Just don't forget to bind the key to turn on the car, it nearly drove me mad as i couldn't figure out why the car wasn't working. Some maps are large enough to be good for vehicles.
From my terrible driving stunts, the car seem to be able to take some hits without breaking.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 02:27:49 pm by Robsoie »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2020, 12:47:52 pm »

Sounds interesting I'll try it out later. Also good to hear they got cars better because in Lost Alpha I had one at full health and hit a few blind dogs and the car exploded.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2020, 03:32:40 am »

I tested the car in Vector of Alienation :
drove over an unfortunate stalker : no car exploded
drove into a pack of mutated boars : no car exploded

Seems like the car is much more resilient than the Lost Alpha one (but be carefull, you're not impervious to damage in your car, those boars were angry at me and i felt that :D

A note of importance about the difference between Vector of Alienation and Oblivion Lost Remake.
Originally VoA is an addon for OLR , it's just made standalone now (both VoA and OLR are fully standalone, no need any other Stalker game installed).

VoA is based on a slightly older OLR version, so OLR have a few more side quests that aren't in VoA
VoA has much better dialogues and all its OLR missions are reworked to fit much better into the overall plot, the much improved story is the big strength of Vector of Alienation, making it to me the best story driven Stalker game.

If you are interested to play the Oblivion Lost Remake repack (that include also the english translation in it) i linked, it is missing the last official patch (though you may play without it if you want) , so in case you want the very latest OLR, you'll need to download the patch 46 and the english translation for patch 46, they can be found there :
https://www.gameru.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=54066
as the page is in russian, the downloads are actually there :
Code: [Select]
patch 46
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/GrVF/fNay4UMQP
english translation for patch 46
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3ct5/232yN8URZ

Note : while Vector of Alienation is just a matter of extract, launch the JSGME.exe to enable the addons you want (only do this before starting  new game, as adding addon on your existing saves may do unexpected things), then launch the game with ...\bin\XR_3DA.exe (you can make a shortcut to it if you want), for Oblivion Lost Remake before and after the patch you will need to run a "Configurator.cmd" and follow the instructions, so the game will create the necessary folders for it to work correctly.

Note 2 : the guy that did the Oblivion Lost Remake repack accidentally included by default his minimap remover addon, so here's how to re-enable it
Whoops, I accidentally removed it from the main download it looks like (minimap remover is to be an addon). You should be able to fix it by deleting gamedata\config\ui\zone_map files but back them up just in case).

Note 3 : in case you like to play VoA (and maybe OLR) windowed, if you want the window to be in the middle of your screen instead of being in the upper left of the screen, add to your shortcut
-center_screen
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:08:59 am by Robsoie »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2020, 06:57:42 am »

annnnndddd that makes OLR install number 8 lol. i may have a problem but such is life don't just stand there stalker, come cheeki breeki
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:03:24 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2020, 08:20:51 am »

Something i found helpfull in both OLR and VoA , when someone gives you a mission, the task description is not very elaborated in your PDA -> Task section, it just does not write all the hints that the task giver gave to you.

Go then to your PDA -> Diary and switch from "Log" to "Message History" (or "History" in VoA) so you can check the dialogue with the guy that gave you the mission so you can find what's missing from the PDA -> Task summary (very good for when you get a code for a special locked door and forgot about what it was :D and the Task section does not help )

Now something OLR has that VoA does not : from then in case you have lots of dialogues and pda news coming and you fear the task giver dialogue may disappear, you can then go to PDA -> Notepad and "Start writing" to add yourself the hints

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2020, 02:53:26 pm »

I think i'm starting to get near mid-story in Vector of Alienation.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Take that grenade !
At least they have clothes.

I can't imagine the pain of that poor thing headaches.

It gave me a vision of his creation after that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2020, 10:32:21 am »

After doing a lot, and getting all my quests done to be ready for the final part of Vector of Alienation, i have finally reached the CNPP.

The less i can say is i wasn't expecting this defense system from the zone being that different from what happens at that point in Shadow of Chernobyl, it's very original and fits nicely the VoA stories as there were some quests made to prepare for this.
But i found this a bit annoying, i think i would have prefered the warzone that it is in SoCH.

Anyways, after you're out of Pripyat and enter CNPP make sure to have a few "weak gravitational artifacts" before going there, as you'll need them to power the device you've been given at some point of the storyline, as you will really need all the "anchor" you can generate to teleport around after what happens with the defense system that surround the whole map.

So far this Vector of Alienation has been a lot of fun, a hint : it's better to leave a car parked before exiting a map (it will stay where you park it), as i noticed in some maps if you enter with your car, it can become permanentely stuck due to where you're spawning.
Make sure to save before entering a new map with a car in case it's going to happen to you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2020, 06:09:45 am »

Vector of Alienation.

Similarly to Oblivion Lost Remake and Shadow of Chernobyl, there's the same multiple ending system.
Having past experience of them, as during my long trip around the labs i unlocked the way to the true ending, i decided to try it.

It was a very good mod, it was more desolate than its parent mod Oblivion Lost Remake (but still more alife in it than in Lost Alpha) as you meet less people around, has some slightly different missions (and some very different, like the whole CNPP emission teleporting ordeal that isn't in OLR) to fit the more elaborated story and dialogues so it may be worth playing even if you already completed OLR.
To note that the latest version of Oblivion Lost Remake has more side quests, and a notepad in your PDA so you can note those door codes that the PDA does not automatically write in the tasks menu.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:13:28 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2021, 04:05:51 am »

For people interested in the Anomaly standalone, since the last official update work on the next version has never stopped and it is currently at Release Candidate 21 (the RC are apparently only available through the devs discord) .
Some nice people uploaded the whole thing for people wanting to try without going through RC patching process and registering on the discord thing :
https://www.moddb.com/addons/stalker-anomaly-rc21

I tried a bit and it's great, in fact i had performance problem in the latest official anomaly that lead me to just ditch it, but i'm impressed how this RC21 run smoothly. Though i was very annoyed by some oddly laggy camera movement that i never noticed in any other stalker game, that i found could be disabled by typing in the console
cam_slide_inert 0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:10:25 am by Robsoie »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2021, 07:50:06 am »

thanks for the heads up, i was under the assumption that they were working on an update to anomaly and waiting for the release, so this is good to hear.

i never really had any issues with 1.50 with the update 4 and hotfix 8, but im always willing to update. for now, though, ill probably have this as a separate install next to my "official" anomaly install
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2021, 01:15:13 pm »

You should be able to have multiple Anomaly games at the same time, so you can still keep your old version of 1.5

In case of performance issue with Anomaly RC21, you can try this addon :
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/performance-alife-settings

And to improve the immersion in Anomaly RC21, this addon bring visual animations of most of the player actions, rather nice to have :
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/food-drug-and-drinks-animations-for-anomaly

Oh and still on their road to make Anomal 1.6 they released a RC22 with a lot of fixes and improvement, there's a link to upgrade from RC21 to RC22 here :
https://www.mediafire.com/file/gwxt4tgfpxocc1b/Anomaly-1.5.0-RC21-to-RC22.7z/file
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 01:23:43 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:24 am »

Noticed on reddit that Call of the Zone has been updated to version 1.2 :
https://www.moddb.com/mods/doctorx-call-of-the-zone/news/stalker-call-of-the-zone-12-update-released
Not all addons may be compatible, but i see that several have been already updated for 1.2

Other than that, some tips for Anomaly RC22
Money comes hard, but everything is silly expensive (probably due to Anomaly being based on the Last Day mod that was an update on Call of Misery, that itself was an adaptation of the Misery mod for Call of chernobyl).
Solution : focus on getting artifacts and mutant body parts, then bring both type of loot to Yantar, find Prof Sakharov in the bunker lab, he is your very best friend in the Zone as he will pay a lot more than the other traders for artifact (even the useless ones) , don't make the mistake to sell such thing to other traders.

But be carefull the non useless artifacts are radioactive and you need to place them in container to not get killed over time , the useless artifacts (the ones that give no bonus anywhere) are safe to carry without containers.
Problem : artifacts are very heavy (some more than other) , and containers are not light themselves, meaning if you don't want to run out of stamina regularly and wait until you can move again, be sure to not carry too much.
It's always tempting to carry 2 weapons and their corresponding ammo like you do in every Stalker mods, but that only adsd more weight, so to make way for an extra artifact, only carry a weapon and its ammo.

Oh and before going into an underground lab, make sure you have a lot of ammo for your guns, it's incredibly easy to run out of them as labs are more populated than the surface usually in term of things to shoot at before they eat or shoot you.
Not all trader are selling ammo, it's a huge pain (especially if you make your main base in Yantar to be close to your best money friend Sakharov, the only way to get ammo there is to give the food trader a specific type of vodka (3 or 4 bottles) in exchange of a few packs of ammo.

Other way you'll have to go to a trader that have ammo (the Duty guy in Rostok, the Mercenary guy in Dead City once you shut down the miracle machine, the guy in the Cordon farm next to the mechanic, etc..), that's not a short walk from Yantar.

Also don't give the specific vodka to the Yantar food trader too early, wait you have at least found 7 bottles, he will give you a very good military armor (that has better rupture stats than most of the armor you can get by then, rupture is the reason why you die so fast from mutant strikes and biting in most armor, this military armor will take much more claws in your face to have you killed)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:04:33 am by Robsoie »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2021, 04:45:13 pm »

Not exactly about the video games but InrangeTV posted a stalker-themed gun match video.

It's nice to see certain pieces of "stalker" gear (like the GP-5 mask) in "action" but it's mostly just an excuse to larp/shitpost on their part so don't take it too seriously :D
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2021, 07:06:50 am »

There have been a lot of fan movie around the Stalker universe, some are of rather good quality like this very well done one (you can enable the english subtitles) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA4oowN4kII

Often fan movie suffer from the fact they use clothes in near mint condition.

Anyways, after playing so much of Vector of Alienation, i took a liking to static lighting , so i started to play Anomaly in DX8 (that has been visually improved and fixed in the RC serie) and found it really great even if it does not have all the bells&whistles of higher DX
DX8 also has mask textures (what higher DX does not have, they use some shader instead), that i found actually more immersive.

And performance skyrocket in DX8 , didn't expected that much of a difference with higher DX
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8