Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: STALKER standalones, mods and -likes: such is life in the zone  (Read 30613 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: STALKER standalones, mods and -likes: such is life in the zone
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2021, 02:49:50 pm »

A couple of animated music videos, heavily inspired by the games. The first one is somewhat simplistic but they both capture the feeling of the games.

https://youtu.be/UYKLGX9-_4Y
https://youtu.be/TIZWlW1YhbU
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2021, 12:19:52 pm »

I noticed the anomaly standalone mod is now out of its RC phase and got then an official release, Anomaly 1.5.1 :
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/news/stalker-anomaly-version-151-release

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2021, 01:11:41 pm »

I've been meaning to start another run with Call of the Zone and I've been playtesting a couple mods. I am a bit unsure about which weapon mod to use, on one hand Arsenal Overhaul gives a better selection ( I do have a soft spot for the 7.62 Nato guns) on the other hand I *think* it meshes up with the loot table, especially with the pda drops. The CotZ weapon pack is ok, but it's somewhat limited with it's selection of weapons. Any opinions about these add-ons?

Also if you have any suggestion for other mods/add ons, I'll be glad to read it.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2021, 04:53:53 am »

I usually play with the stock weapons in any mods, i always find there's way too much variant of the same rifles in those weapon mods.
One addon that grew on me for CotZ is this one, though certainly not for everyone :
https://www.moddb.com/mods/doctorx-call-of-the-zone/addons/action-ai-for-call-of-the-zone-v1-cotz-11

Basically it makes the NPC moves a bit faster (as by default NPC are slower than the player in nearly every stalker mods) , and it also make the NPC running instead of walking all the time.
It's also making things more frantic during a firefight due to the NPC not moving that slowly anymore, they will not be as easy to shoot as before. And as they get into position faster meaning that if you're not carefull they can overrun your cover.

Oh and zombified stalkers, you need to see them with that mod (there's an option in the mod to get the zombified stalkers back to how they originally move in case their new behaviour annoys you).
To quickly check, start a character in the mobile science lab in jupiter (not the one in yantar) , then climb on the nearby hill in which there's some kind of base , it's populated with zombified stalker.
Attract attention and run :D

To me this addon gives some "arcade" feeling that make the gameplay refreshingly different enough from all the other stalker standalone mods i play to keep CotZ on my hard drive.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2021, 09:57:26 am »

I’ve tried the action ai add on for awhile but i haven’t met a zombified stalker yet. I might install it again out of curiosity but  I’m afraid it makes the game too unstable  for my pc. Thanks for the suggestion

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2021, 01:22:50 pm »

There are also a bunch of zombified stalkers in the Zaton map, at the Sawmill location ( marked 9 in that map )
On Jupiter the location i was mentionning is marked 20 on that map
Best places to be sure to meet zombified stalkers that are guaranteed to spawn here, and have a good laugh at trying to run away from them with the action ai addon :D

For the action AI addon, i've been using it for several months in CotZ and never noticed it causing the game becoming unstable, it's rather light in ressource as it is editing the already existing game scripts.

I would be more cautious with addons that add too much HQ textures and HQ models, CotZ is working on a 32bits engine and similarly to CoC unfortunately isn't immune to addons getting things over that 32bits engine limitations with your system memory.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:24:26 pm by Robsoie »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2021, 01:46:41 pm »

I'll give it another go, maybe I just messed some other thing in that install.

edit: Heh, I found two of them at the northern farmstead in the Great Swamp. I was not prepared for that :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:40:43 pm by Ulfarr »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2021, 03:08:00 pm »

A bit of an update/warning on the mods for CoTZ

I've been playing with Arsenal Overhaul + Less good weapons for AO3 1.0 (which is admitedly outdated) and I had an issue where some weapons and scopes behaved just wrong. For example, I found both vanilla and AO versions of the PSO scope one of which didn't have the black outer overlay and while AO has a scopeless model for VSS Vintorez it still had a very significant zoom when aiming and it couldn't accept any scope.

Now that could have been due to the outdated submod but there were a few comments regarding scope issues in AO, so I'm not sure where the problems stems from.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2021, 03:30:14 am »

Can you post on pastebin the content of the ltx file that correspond to your bugged scopeless vintorez so i can check if i see the issue ?
Said ltx file should be somewhere in ...gamedata\configs\weapons\ 

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2021, 03:39:12 am »

I'm afraid I can't do that.  I did a clean install last night so I don't have the bugged files anymore. Thanks for your offer though Robsoie  :)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2021, 03:44:19 am »

No problem, i have edited for personnal use so much of various stalker weapons ltx files that i remember most of the mistakes i did and learned how to fix them :D

edit : from the moddb comments, it appears that the guy that was making an unofficial 64bits patch (along with fixing lots of bugs for it) for the abandonned Call of Chernobyl 1.5r7 joined force with one of the last remaining Call of Chernobyl dev in order to make a finally complete Call of Chernobyl 1.5 :
https://old.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/lqwrgh/coc_is_coming_back_baby/

That's amazing, maybe one day i'll be able to ditch my beloved very modded and stable 1.4.22 for a new beloved and very modded stable 1.5 :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:49:03 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2021, 06:59:17 am »

Recently discovered an english version of OGSR ( Old Good Stalker Remastered ) in which the uploader didn't add some weapons pack and other tweaks that had just broken the balance of the mod.

OGSR is a standalone "story" mod (so you can play without owning any game) that is a major upgrade on OGSE (Old Good Stalker Evolution) that concept is about remaking the original stalker with much more content and quests (for the difference with Oblivion Lost Remake and Vector of Alienation , those were about remaking the Oblivion Lost game that transformed into the commercial Shadow of Chernobyl, so you can easily play OGSR and OLR and they will not feel like the same game as they go very different way at it)

And it indeed has a lot of stuff to do, way more quests than in Shadow of Chernobyl i've been running around Cordon so far completing several quests, some are really good as there are alternate ways to solve them (while in Shadow of Chernobyl solving a quest was less open).
https://www.moddb.com/mods/ogsr-mod-repack-from-serega-lus-with-english-patch

Something that can help in OGSR about something that had puzzled me regarding a mission involving a vehicle
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2021, 05:20:52 am »

Something that could be usefull for people playing OGSR

in OGSR , i ran into a quest that was puzzling me, finding the code for a locked safe for Digger.
The hint according to the talking stuffed toy i found at some point was in the letters wrote in the safe "OGSE" each letter is supposed to be a number.
That puzzled me for a while as out of randomly trying to assign a number to each letter, it didn't seemed to be based on something else.

After a while i gave up and googled around

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2021, 04:27:01 am »

About the most excellent OGSR , someone uploaded a new repack of OGSR/OGSE but featuring one of the latest version of the OGSR engine, meaning less bugs and better performance, english translation is already included :
https://www.moddb.com/games/stalker/downloads/stalker-ogsr-1010

Very recommended (it's standalone by the way, no need to have other games installed).

edit : some spoiler help in case you're puzzled by the "haunted house" side-quest in the rookie village of Cordon as the locations to loot in order to find each required parts for the side quest are ... invisible , making it rather annoying (you can only find them by being close enough and having your crosshair on them).
Once you're done, talk to Musician to complete the quest.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 08:39:27 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2021, 01:21:38 pm »

I progressed a lot more in that recent version of OGSR and i'm really having a blast, of all STALKER games i played OGSR is the definitive best game : not only there truckload more quests and side quests than in any of them, but they are a lot more varied, most stalkers have much more personality with more to say and lots more story to tell, and performance is really amazing in comparison to older version of OGSR i played before, the dev really improved the engine a lot more.

And stability is impressive, whil in past OGSR i was not that often but still regularly having crash, i didn't crashed once in all those hours in this new version.

The english translator did a very good job, the updated translation that is now built-in OGSR is really great.

Recently helped a guy in Yantar to try to find his best friend, we had to get Sakharov to create some kind of experimental medicine to help use resist the zombifying effect of the Yantar factory, said medecine that turned us as some kind of zombie imitation so the truckload of zombies roaming and doing other stuff in the factory wouldn't mind us.

Lot of fun when trying to talk to the companion and have the dialogue option in zombie-like language :D
10/10 hilarious, would zombify temporarly again.
Though damned snorks weren't fooled and were rushing us while we were looking through the several buildings of the factory to find the guy best pal in one of them.

Very recommended to play OGSR , easily the best standalone mod of them all so far. Just download it and enjoy.

Only cons i could think about are the chimeras, they're the easiest chimeras to deal with of all the STALKER games, they slowly run in circle around you at a safe enough distance so you can easily move out of their jump when they decide to attack, they really take it easy, with enough bullets (they're still bullet sponges) you should have no problem.

They did that very likely because i learned from some talk with NPC that in OGSR there's another type of chimera, one that have electrical discharges like an anomaly, hmm not really looking forward to encounter one of those :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:28:12 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8