Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Master of Magic - official remake by studio that did Thea  (Read 4229 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Master of Magic - official remake by studio that did Thea
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2021, 08:11:19 am »

Wizards and Warlords has the whole "create a winning combo and steamroll" vibe to it.
Procedurally generated races, you say?

Let's give it a shot.
We have a thread for it somewhere around here. Dev's popped in a few times. It's fairly nice, but also very much still in development. Has come a long, long way with a good bit still to go, from what I've seen.

Still, easy to sink a few hours into it occasionally as is, with it likely to only get better. Not too much to do with MoM, though :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2021, 09:31:55 am »

It's actually come a long way in the last couple of years.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 02:52:41 am »

Neat, I enjoyed Master of Magic in dosbox, didn't have the original. Most of my games in the dos period were Sierra games, especially the Aces series collection, before that company went under.

I'll hope this one is good. I liked playing Myrrans, though that was kind of cheesy in hindsight as you face only one AI opponent on that plane, and the Myrran species were better (I played Dark Elves to be even more cheesy; good building selection, increased mana production from populations, and great units as even their spearmen were great once experienced since they SHOT MAGIC and had 6 figurines. Don't even get me started on warlocks and Nightmares... plus Troll villages were easy to find for the ol' undead war troll trick if you took death books)

Now, for a thing I think the old MoM really needed but wasn't capable of at the time I'd bet: bigger battle maps and larger armies of more units.

In MoM eventually your heroes would be able to wipe out armies of normal units, because they leveled up far past normal troops, could equip items and cast spells sometimes. Bigger armies would help counter that maybe; as in old MoM once your heroes were high level you could just use them to win the game instead of troops costing gold and food upkeep.

It would be neat in this game if they had a strict classic MoM ruleset with the 10 unit army cap or whatever was in old MoM and another ruleset where you can do things like increase army size in; thinking pre-game settings like starting a game of Stellaris.

I really enjoy the Dominions series, so I think large armies would be cool in MoM.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 02:57:56 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 10:28:29 am »

We have a thread for it somewhere around here. Dev's popped in a few times. It's fairly nice, but also very much still in development. Has come a long, long way with a good bit still to go, from what I've seen.

Still, easy to sink a few hours into it occasionally as is, with it likely to only get better. Not too much to do with MoM, though :P

I love MoM, and made a very deliberate choice to *not* aim for 'spiritual successor' as a goal. Being inspired by a classic is great, but trying to walk directly in the footsteps of one is a dangerous path to tread.

Personally, I am really excited about the Slitherine MoM remake. The combination of publisher and developer is great, and I like that they're going for a remake, and not a reimagining/successor. From what I can see they are being very selective about the changes made - and I actually think going for hexes is a positive in staying true to the original. In the days of MoM, square grids were the norm, and the aesthetics of MoM were top-notch. If they had gone for square and modern graphics, I think it would look and feel really weird. However if they go 1 unit-per-tile, that's taking it too far for my taste, and essentially making it a new game. Warlock 1+2 did that style, and while they're great games, I personally prefer games with 'stacks'. I really hope they're not changing that aspect of MoM in the remake.

Even if they do end up deviating heavily, I'm sure it will be a great game. The amount of development/design talent on the project is sure to produce something fun and more than worth the price.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 10:34:19 am »

Oh it's Slitherine? Heh. That's a pass from me. I find their games very cheap.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 07:32:00 pm »

First dev diary is out.

http://muhagames.com/dev-diary-1-june-2021/

MuHa have done well in their first couple of games. I like their art and UI appearances. That said MoM was one of the early games I was never quite able to get into unlike its peers MoO and Civ but it certainly had its moments - the mana/magic system was better (I think) than anything I've seen since.  I'm cautiously hopeful but not buying into a hype (or despair) train.  The negative of Slitherine as publisher is that it is likely to cost a bit more than it probably should but in the long run that means not much if it is a good game and nothing if it isn't.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 11:07:29 pm »

You know, Literally MoM But Newer is not exciting me, but the promise of modding tools is intriguing. This may end up worthwhile just for the overhauls.

I am also amused by actually being able to see what's going on now. Amazing what one can do with several hundred times the pixels. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 03:10:45 am »

They're going to have a tough time accomplishing anything that Battle for Wesnoth didn't already accomplish.

BfW has no spell system, though - I suppose bringing that back is worth something.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 06:38:49 am »

BfW isn't open-ended, is a wargame rather than 4x, and doesn't have a multi-layer map. It has its own charm, but I can't really see it being a substitute for MoM. AoW is the closest analog that actually feels like it does a good job (Warlock is IMO the closest analog, full stop, but it just feels so off, in multiple ways...)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 06:45:02 am by E. Albright »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 07:22:34 am »

Unless wesnoth has changed a lot since the last time I played it, I don't think it'll be difficult to accomplish things it hasn't, like non-jank movement and unit progression, enjoyable combat, city building, and so on :P

Like the game well enough for what it is, but what it is is fairly specific...

And yeah, of recent-ish stuff, AoW probably hits closest to MoM, least of what I've personally played. Wesnoth's just an entirely different genre, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2021, 11:53:08 am »

I'm digging what they've done so far with this.

We'll have to see if the game is ultimately as engaging as the original, but I certainly appreciate the effort they are putting into doing a proper modern remake.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2021, 11:10:20 pm »

Oh whoops, I mixed up Master of Magic with Master of Monsters.  :-[

I don't even know what Master of Magic is.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2021, 04:56:28 am »

Master of Magic is one of the great classic 4X strategy games, beloved by a lot of people and inspiring... a lot of stuff, including many attempts at spiritual or explicit sequels. Age of Wonders series, the Warlock strategy games, and more. It's largely considered to still be one of, if not the outright, best fantasy 4X strategy games in existence, even nearly thirty years later.

It was pretty great stuff in its day, and has aged remarkably well, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2022, 04:32:22 am »

Interested parties might find it a good time to refine their opinions.  MuHa have put out a call for beta-testers.  https://www.slitherine.com/beta/master-of-magic (You'll need a Slitherine account to apply.)  Busy playing (around with) other things so I'll probably give it a pass myself and rely instead on community feedback - but still sorely tempted.  If nothing else the visuals and UI are very appealing from what has been posted on the dev diaries.  Mind you the gameplay will make or break it... (for me)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2022, 09:19:43 pm »

Might as well give it a shot.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 [2]