Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Soulforged: MMO where you can have an impact  (Read 15332 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Soulforged: MMO where you can have an impact
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2019, 04:44:45 pm »

Nothing wrong with faffing about; you probably don't have the skills to make large contributions to anything yet.

Sadly true. I do think there is demand for more miners or farmers, if you wish to do either of those things (Farming, apparently, is very idle friendly).
Sure, you likely won't be able to majorly contribute *yet* but you will one day. But for now, feel free to poke around, stuff on the ground is largely fair game, just don't hoard it. Don't worry about you're relative uselessness (Note: You ain't useless); young characters start off with lower stats to older ones; this discrepancy will fade as your character matures over a course of 15 days.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2019, 06:54:51 pm »

I just finished newbie island.

Would you all recommend that I faff about doing my own thing for a while to get basic skills up, or hook up with some other people and try to coordinate or something?

Yeah just do whatever you enjoy. If you want to contribute right away and get skills up, we could always use more food and it'll grind your fishing/foraging/hunting too.

There's also plenty of junk in the cities. Feel free to learn smelting, tailoring, unlock recipes, and so on. You can chop wood, tan hides, all that stuff which gets your skill up and is very useful.

If you want to coordinate, get on discord. It's probably useful to get better gear, like tools and armor. The veterans are eager to make stuff for you (it's an excuse to improve skill) but we're short on raw materials. Some malachite in exchange for a spear is usually a good trade.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2019, 10:59:11 pm »

Funny thing with this thread is that it died for a month because all the conversation happened on discord. And now Discord is so active that we're talking about doing forums. So I guess I'll keep dumping newbie tips here.

Stuff that needs doing:

Idle friendly:

Farming/animal breeding. It's slow, you can log in once a day, plant and harvest. Probably consider getting some armor and combat skill to defend your farms. We used to have lots of food when we had about 5 active players, now a lot of stuff is getting foraged/fished/hunted out, so a steady food supply would be nice.

Crafting. Convert boulders to blocks. Make bonemeal, clay pots, glue, balm. There's a lot of grindy work out there, and it's a quiet way to grind up some skills while waiting to grow out of the adolescent stat penalties.

Cooking. It's a vital skill for everyone, so you might want to get it up to at least level 1 or 2.

Tailoring. Turn twigs to rope to thread to cloth. Pick up a good knife at the Hub. Later on you can do the same with linen thread and cloth. Linen is probably one of the more valuable resources right now.

Leatherworking & clothesmaking. Go to the Hub and there's plenty of deer hide lying around. Convert it all to leather. It's valuable and you can use it to convince someone to make good clothes for you. Tracker gear can last two lifetimes, help you through winter, and is one of the best armor we have.

Low level smithing. Meet up with a smith. Turn wire into nails, or metal parts into pick heads, spear heads, etc.

Not so idle:

Hunting and fishing. Everyone should get high enough level to hunt deer. Fishing is optional, but more useful if you're going to do exploring, especially in places where game is rarer or harder.

Foraging. Silver nettles last a while and are used for a lot. Razorgrain is needed for training dummies and housing. Fruits are the best type of food.

Smelting. Smelting mechanics can be a bit complex. You need to pay attention once every hour. But for the first level you can drag some limestone and coal outside of Hub (to lose the smelting bonus) and make some lime. Lime is needed for parchment, steel, and glue.

Smithing. Smithing in itself is low activity, but the materials are in short supply, so you'll probably have to do mining and smelting yourself. If you want something super high value in the long run, this is probably it.

Mining/spelunking. There's some ore on the surface, but the underground is where the good stuff is. Underground is dangerous; expect to take a lot of injuries as you grind spelunking early on.

Jewelmaking. The work itself is not bad, but parts like willow and gold are more difficult to find.

More active roles:

Dangerous animal hunting. Wolf and bear are core to our economy. You'll need to spend time hunting them down and possibly training too. If you're even more hardcore you can tame animals too.

Dungeon crawling. There's a lot of good stuff in the dungeon, like metal helmets and flour. We probably have the gear to go much deeper. But it can't be soloed, and nobody has gone too far.

Scouting. We've reverse engineered a lot of foreign tech. At the very least, it's good to know where the orc cities are, foreign resources, good places for new cities, unexplored dungeons.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2019, 01:00:11 am »

It's not allowed.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2019, 06:32:23 pm »

Everyone dies eventually, so you can always try something different later. You keep recipes (which is a huge advantage for say, smithing/smelthing), but lose all skills and stats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2019, 05:10:43 pm »

Played it enough to get off Rook Island. It's good, but I feel like it's both too much and too little of a time investment. Like, waiting 15 minutes to travel, but I'd probably get busy doing something else, so my character just idles for a while. Then there's the 10 or so hours I'm at work and can't do anything.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2019, 05:48:53 pm »

Played it enough to get off Rook Island. It's good, but I feel like it's both too much and too little of a time investment. Like, waiting 15 minutes to travel, but I'd probably get busy doing something else, so my character just idles for a while. Then there's the 10 or so hours I'm at work and can't do anything.

One of the things about the tutorial is it gives you sort of a skewed idea about how long things should take. There's a few professions that require more active time investment, though there are plenty of things to do that won't involve checking on your character for 10 hours.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2019, 01:11:57 am »

Just as I was starting to fall into a steady routine of farming fields and tending crops, along comes an epidemic to throw the realm into disarray!   
Now I wander this plague-ridden land, avoiding non-infected settlements, gathering resources to prepare for the uncertain future before the disease tightens its grip and my strength leaves me completely. How fun.

To new players, I might recommend sticking to the various new settlements that have sprung up away from the disease, at least for a while. You could even help get them more established! I think this plague business is going to cause our rather large population to spread out a bit more.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2019, 09:07:19 am »

Plague is a bit of an exaggeration. It's a fever. It drops carry limit by about 15% at worst, and exhausts me half an hour more, but I'm the grand scheme of things, it's not much. I can still go into the mines, which is probably the most ability intensive job short of combat.

Anyway all the furthest settlements have been infected too. Hopefully it doesn't go back and forth.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2019, 01:07:54 am »

I'm having a really rough time as a new player just feeding myself. I've not seen a single berry since leaving newbie island, rabbits only pop up once every day or two, and fishes have a very low success rate and aren't very filling.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2019, 01:14:40 am »

Probably because you're near to civilization and everything's been picked clean by our growing population.
That said, I think one can definitely survive from fishing. Maybe you need to find easier kinds of fish to catch, though. There's usually food on offer in our various settlements, too - might want to cook it first but if you're starving you can just deal with the tapeworms later.

Edit: note, as far as I'm aware tapeworms and such are not actually a thing. I think you just get a bit of a mood penalty from eating raw stuff.   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 01:17:45 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2019, 01:51:26 am »

There is/was a ton (like 400 units) of Hearty Meat on the ground the hex east of Hub.  I think it had a day or two left before it expires, but cooking it resets the expiry timer, so if you head there you should be good.  It's cookable with zero skill too.

Edit: also if you get a fishing rod (there's usually a couple lying around Hub) fishing trout becomes a lot easier & faster.  Still not super filling, but reasonably reliable spawns.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 01:59:17 am by Biowraith »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2019, 12:12:47 pm »

Just check the towns for floor meat and take some.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2019, 02:15:10 pm »

How are hatchets and knives not hunting tools?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7