Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Soulforged: MMO where you can have an impact  (Read 15334 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soulforged: MMO where you can have an impact
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2020, 08:23:25 pm »

Hello,

I would like to pick up this game but I don't know if it's worth investing time in the long run. I've played the tutorial up to some point and I like the vibe, but I don't know if it's mature enough to invest time into. I don't have excessive amounts of time and attention, and a past of MMO addiction, so I need to approach these games carefully and it would be a bummer to discover that after 20-30 hours there's no content. What's your take on this?

Oh there's definitely lots of content. I've been at it for about a year before finally getting burned out on it.

In that period of time, we've progressed from stone age to iron age, got into a major war with the orcs and their god, invented lots of weapons and armor, built two colonies (north and west) about a day's travel from the starting spot, exterminated trolls, and had the north go extinct. The old rule of thumb was that we kept achieving the unexpected in just 45 days.

I think the main problem of the game is that it's still in alpha. The rules can change drastically, like recently we've had people hitting nearly 100 stats on sparring and troll slaying, and both of these things were nerfed a lot. It burned out the people who spent months on that, but to be fair, it was broken and unbalanced.

The game has progressed past the iron age into uh, agriculture and alchemy, I guess. So the focus lately is a lot on farming and players supporting one another, as well as going far enough to get ingredients for alchemy research. The wheel has recently been invented, but the materials for carts are still very rare.

If you don't want to start from scratch, the north seems to have mostly been abandoned with the recent update, and there's all kinds of tech there.

There's also dwarf mode still locked, which could take a few months or teamwork. But for the sake of not spoiling, you can inquire in game about that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:29:44 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2020, 07:51:59 am »

How do you build houses?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2020, 07:52:50 am »

How do you build houses?

You have to research the recipe and craft it, like anything else.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2020, 08:29:31 am »

I haven't played in a while, but don't you do that from the structures screen?
Once you have the research done, of course.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Chobeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2020, 09:31:30 am »

Hello,

I would like to pick up this game but I don't know if it's worth investing time in the long run. I've played the tutorial up to some point and I like the vibe, but I don't know if it's mature enough to invest time into. I don't have excessive amounts of time and attention, and a past of MMO addiction, so I need to approach these games carefully and it would be a bummer to discover that after 20-30 hours there's no content. What's your take on this?

Oh there's definitely lots of content. I've been at it for about a year before finally getting burned out on it.

In that period of time, we've progressed from stone age to iron age, got into a major war with the orcs and their god, invented lots of weapons and armor, built two colonies (north and west) about a day's travel from the starting spot, exterminated trolls, and had the north go extinct. The old rule of thumb was that we kept achieving the unexpected in just 45 days.

I think the main problem of the game is that it's still in alpha. The rules can change drastically, like recently we've had people hitting nearly 100 stats on sparring and troll slaying, and both of these things were nerfed a lot. It burned out the people who spent months on that, but to be fair, it was broken and unbalanced.

The game has progressed past the iron age into uh, agriculture and alchemy, I guess. So the focus lately is a lot on farming and players supporting one another, as well as going far enough to get ingredients for alchemy research. The wheel has recently been invented, but the materials for carts are still very rare.

If you don't want to start from scratch, the north seems to have mostly been abandoned with the recent update, and there's all kinds of tech there.

There's also dwarf mode still locked, which could take a few months or teamwork. But for the sake of not spoiling, you can inquire in game about that.

Ok, well, I don't plan to grind on this game, just slowly keep it as a casual distraction. I'm fine with changes and your post gave me the kind of perspective I needed.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2020, 02:59:47 pm »

It's the end of the world!

RIP chickens of Chickentown.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2021, 01:35:19 am »

Jeez, this game got... different.   
I'm guessing the world of the old version was wiped?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2021, 03:07:14 am »

Yes, old world went out in a blaze of glory.

The developer is significantly rebuilding major parts of the game, and current version is called pre-alpha. I'm disinclined to actually play anything with that description...but I follow the updates on Discord, which have been coming regularly.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2021, 04:14:15 am »

Soulforged re-launch has just been dated! It's coming December 28th, 4 days from now!

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2021, 01:35:39 pm »

play.soulforged.net

demands less attention than before. world is new and unexplored

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2021, 02:45:47 pm »

Yeah, it's nice to have a little something to do in the mornings again. Appreciate that it's fun and not too demanding on my time.

Definitely feels like a bit of a slog starting off fresh with no infrastructure or support in place yet, but also exciting to build that up.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2021, 11:03:41 pm »

Someone should probably start a map.
I tried heading east from the portal, just north of the forest but south of the cliff edge. It's looking likely I'll dehydrate before I can find any water.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2021, 01:38:44 am »

There's a river to the east of the portal. The tutorial guy even said so, lol.

It's fun to be able to build infra from scratch, IMO. We'll probably have to work together to get tools first. And then we can think about building settlements and stuff once everyone has the basic tools - knife, hammer, spear, pick, weapon. I'd say the bottleneck resources now are bone and rope.

If you want to idle and socialize, you assemble rope and tools, or gather the resources for them. If you want something more active, you can help wrestle rats and bring them by the river. Then once we have enough rope, some people can grind doctoring-butchering on tourniquets to butcher animals on the spot.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Rumble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2021, 11:39:08 am »

Someone should probably start a map.
I tried heading east from the portal, just north of the forest but south of the cliff edge. It's looking likely I'll dehydrate before I can find any water.

I suspect there is a way down to the river if you keep going east since there are travel destinations visible along the river's edge. You can definitely reach the river by going north a bit instead of east.

I think it takes a week or more to die from dehydration, it's a bit like the old cold/warm system where you have too much temperature for a while before you begin to accumulate penalties to stats. Your thirst will increase in stages until it starts giving penalties to hydration and then enough dehydration will give increasing levels of a long duration debuff.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2021, 05:26:20 pm »

I kept going east, and it does not reach the river; at least not without having to go deep into the forest first.

But I doubled back and was able to take the other path and reach the river with only minor dehydration.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7