Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you look on different z-levels?  (Read 1681 times)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
How do you look on different z-levels?
« on: May 06, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

I just got this game, made a cave and farm in a hillside, but I don't know how to dig deeper. I know how to make staircases, but I don't know how to mine on that second subterranian level. (Or view it.)

On a side note, how much farm tiles would I need for 7 dwarves, and what plant should I grow?

Robke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you look on different z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

Hey.
Use <and> to go up and down.

For farm plots, I use my first plot at 5x5 but it can be much smaller. The easiest way to start is to grow plump helmets. Keep in mind plump helmets only work in a subterrean farm, so you need to dig out a room first. If you have soil, digging just beneath the surface will work. Otherwise you'll either have to grow normal plants or water the rock you wish to farm first.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Digging  this link may help you.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

Thanks. Before I posted, I accidently learned how to irrigate after attempting to drown a cat and started making small plots. How do I get more dwarves by the way?

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: DwarfMan69 ]

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

Wait.

Any time from around your first summer to your second, you'll get your first migrants.

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

Thanks. One more question. (This game is confusing to me, sorry). How can I make beds? I remember hearing that I need a bed for each dwarf to survive the winter?

Robke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

You don't "need" beds, dwarves can sleep on the ground but it sure is a lot more comfortable for the little bearded ones!

You need a carpenters' workshop, logs and a woodworker.  Make the workshop (b w c) and make sure you have a dwarf with the carpenting labour turned on. Designate some trees for cutting if you don't have any logs (you will need a dwarf with woodcutting labour turned on for this)(or deconstruct the wagon).

Then use q to select the workshop and select make bed.

You will then need to place the bed using the build menu.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Robke ]

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

Okay, but what should I do to survive the winter? I'm in autummn now, shortly after the trade caravan came to discuss next years trade.

Robke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

I never had much problem surviving the first winter. Make sure you have enough food and drink to keep everyone fed and intoxicated. Then make sure you have some traps to make sure goblins don't just walk in. Think you should be good if you have that covered.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

I don't have any beer or traps? How do I make them?

Robke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

For beer you need a still (workshop), a brewer, barrels and plants (to brew). The barrels can be made at the carpenters' workshop or a forge. Making them out of wood is much easier. You can get plants either by farming or by gathering for plants outside. Then just queue a brew drink order in the still to start making booze.

for traps you will need a mechanics' workshop. There you can make mechanisms. Once you have mechanisms you can make traps in the build menu. Stone-fall traps are easiest, they only need a mechanism and a stone. Later on you can make weapon traps.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Robke ]

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

Cool. But is it possible to trigger the oppening of hole in an underground lake using a preasure pad, thats connected to a shaft leading to the entrance room of my fort, drowning the intruders.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: DwarfMan69 ]

Robke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

Ah! You are getting the point.  :D.

Sure it is possible. doors and floodgates hold out water. You can also use drawbridges as doors.

For example, you can make a large hallway say 3x10 with 3x1 and 3x1 bridges at the end. Make sure you set the bridges to raise in the proper direction. You can then build levers, link these levers to the bridges and use that as a way to close the hall/drowning chamber. You can also make a pressure plate in the hallway and link that to a floor hatch that makes the water drop on them.

These are just ideas, think up something and just make it!

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

If you haven't yet, I suggest looking at the wiki if you haven't already.

Of particular note is the "Your First Fortress" bit that's linked right on the main page.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

Thanks for the help guys, but I chose a poor starting location and am now restarting with more careful planning, and found a much better location.It's plentiful in trees and water. There is a relatively big underwater cave I could use to drown intruders, and on the second z-level there is an underground river with salmon. Below that is solid rock, no underground water at all.

Side Note: How do you move the supplies from the starting location into the fort?

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

Build the relevant stockpiles. You'll want wood, food, and possibly stone if you took any bitcoal.
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.
Pages: [1] 2