Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with my werebeast man?  (Read 2283 times)

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with my werebeast man?
« on: September 07, 2019, 07:23:44 pm »

I have a were-rhino trapped inside a box of walls and basically I was wondering if there's a way to make him useful. I can't make a workshop for him because he'll break it every 2 weeks. I was wondering about assigning him as bookkeeper and was wondering whether he actually has to be able to access his office to work.

Any suggestions on what to do with him?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with my werebeast man?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:59:36 pm »

Emergency self-destruct button for your fort?

Although I guess a megabeast would be more reliable for that.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 08:14:33 pm »

Could exile them into the caverns. Or put them on the front line next time there's a siege.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 11:29:23 pm »

I think making him your bookkeeper/manager should work if you give him an artifact chair for his office.  If it isn't an artifact he'll wreck it every two weeks just like the workshop. 

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 01:09:22 am »

I have a were-rhino trapped inside a box of walls and basically I was wondering if there's a way to make him useful. I can't make a workshop for him because he'll break it every 2 weeks. I was wondering about assigning him as bookkeeper and was wondering whether he actually has to be able to access his office to work.

Keep him as a thing to sic on invaders in very desperate times, when your dwarves need to be sealed in and if he doesn’t kill them all he’ll kill lots, but convert more, which could mean taking care of the whole attack in one fell swoop as the curse spreads.

Might leave you with lots of bodies and/or weres to clean up after, and you will need to keep your dwarves sealed in for a while.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 01:57:08 pm »

I can't make a workshop for him because he'll break it every 2 weeks.

I've heard there's a way you can prevent that. It involves only having a floor on the workshop's center tile by using constructed floors for the outer tiles and deconstructing them after the workshop is built.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

adseaghtrnjty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 05:02:12 pm »

Keep him as a thing to sic on invaders in very desperate times, when your dwarves need to be sealed in and if he doesn’t kill them all he’ll kill lots, but convert more, which could mean taking care of the whole attack in one fell swoop as the curse spreads.

Might leave you with lots of bodies and/or weres to clean up after, and you will need to keep your dwarves sealed in for a while.

Do you think it could be possible to sic him on an invasion, but not kill the invasion just to have werebeasts absolutely demolish that civilization? I'd think it'd be amazing or absolutely horrifying to have a few military goblins come back, turn while in their civ, and basically slaughter every other goblin. The best part would be that the other goblins would have no military skills (or less), so you're basically sending back another invading force to a civilization that can't hole itself up.

Or you could just let the werebeast infect your military dwarves yourself. When they come back from war, they'll regenerate their limbs, so you can just send them over constantly, have them engage in bloody combat, hole them up somewhere, and let them regenerate for another battle. It would be like the immortals from Persia, in a way, except you're just re-using the same guys instead of just constantly replenishing your army with new bodies.

You might be able to get one of them captured and spread the disease that way too. See the above paragraph on infecting your enemy.

Also, I forgot too. Since you can have a werebeast army, it could seriously be possible to test out the extents of training and figure out the most dangerous, yet fastest ways of training an army. Even if the get torn to shreds, as long as they don't bleed out, they can be used over an over again. Just make sure to have a separate hospital with werebeast physicians as well.

BigUglyWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:13 am »

Make him the star attraction of your colosseum!
1: chuck him in a room separated from a big pit by a drawbridge.  Maybe give him some artifact furniture and nice meals for his trouble.
2: catch invading forces/critters in cages, toss them in the pit for your dorfs' entertainment.  You could also toss in criminals, if you like.
3: every full moon, pull the lever and Unleash the Beast.
4: see how long he lasts. If he infects any other combatants, you could try to capture them as well, for even more Fun.
We must prepare for the Vomitpocalypse.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 02:34:54 am »

Currently you can't spread the were infections to other civs because there's no logic for it in the game (i.e. they won't turn and attack while away from your fortress). However, if you manage to infect a force that has your fortress under siege they'll get "issues" once per month until they stamp it out or leave.

You can send were squads off, but there's an issue with that:
- Sometimes they take a mighty long time to leave (sleeping/praying/socializing/replacing equipment...), so some might turn before all of them are off the map, or just after returning (which probably is worse).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 03:51:32 am »

You can wall them up and forget about them, guaranteeing fortress survival. If you are willing to micromanage, you can dump stone into their cell (be careful of climbing and jumping) and have them make crafts for you and keep rebuilding the workshop.

In my experience, they're risky to try and make productive. Locking them up has enough benefits.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 04:11:32 am »

If you want to keep him doing things, in a previous fort (DF 43.nn) I noticed that changing into the werebeast will not interrupt training or praying, so the dwarf didn't topple anything for years (he had a few rooms behind a raised gate).

I didn't have him craft or bookkeeping, but since a craftshop only takes a block to rebuild, why not?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 04:00:56 am »

A were-rhino?
You don't happen to have any spider men in your biome, do you?

Seraphim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 07:34:54 am »

Make a labyrinth, given the wererhino a weapon and have him train continuously within it. Then you can throw captured prisoners into the labyrinth or make it so an invading army has to go past them!