Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MTG: Arena  (Read 4613 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
MTG: Arena
« on: September 10, 2019, 04:04:05 pm »

From a cursory search, we do not yet have a topic on this game.

I do not know enough about Magic to really COMPARE Arena to MTG:O, but I have to say it is both extremely fun and considerably more accessible, and has honestly led to me actually spending a couple hundred on real cards (fuck me, lol). Very similar to Hearthstone from what I can see. Collection of 2019-2020 cards, unfortunately I do not think there are any plans for older releases/decks/cards so if you're a fan of modern you might be out of luck here. However, Standard play is quite good, and you can pretty much just jump right in.

I imagine there are a couple of players around here, so hopefully we can use this topic to set up some matches, talk deckbuilding, and answer questions about the game and Magic in general.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: MTG: Arena
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 04:31:53 pm »

I love spending all of my rare wildcards on real estate.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 04:33:48 pm »

I got into this fairly recently when it was mentioned on a different board that I frequent.

One thing I'd like to emphasize (since the OP might scare people away) is that the game is really quite doable on a free or cheap budget. I spent $5 on the newbie package, since it's a great deal, but have otherwise not wanted (or needed) to spend cash to get the things that I want.

Drafting can be done either for free currency (gold) or premium (gems), but always pays out in gems, with anyone able to win 6 or 7 games (out of 7) before they lose 3 able to go infinite. Eventually, even the poorest player could (theoretically) turn their gold into gem-exclusive events and avatars/card backs/etc.

Also check out this wiki page: https://magicarena.fandom.com/wiki/Codes for free stuff you can redeem.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 05:06:42 pm »

Arena was discussed here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167447.30

But I don't see any harm in giving Arena it's own thread.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 06:14:19 pm »

Two major diffirences from hearthstone:
1) Near-zero random inside cards themselves (i know just two cards with coinflips).
2) It's still not a vile and bloated Thing.  :P
Anyways, two "fun" decks i made. "Fun", because even basic Orzhov deck appears to have higher winrate than the better one. Probably because it gets thrown to other basic decks more, and it's the best one of them, but still.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 06:20:52 pm »

Speaking of !!!FUN!!!

does anyone have advice on deck building? I'm just not sure how to start building around a small set of cards you want drawn.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 07:28:53 pm »

I only played Arena briefly after launch...it seemed like the bulk of the game consisted of tournaments that you pay real money to enter, for the chance to play and almost certainly lose against other people who have spent more money to acquire better cards.

Honestly, the last decent MTG digital game I played was Shandalar. Everything since then feels extremely pay-to-win.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:32:10 pm »

Speaking of !!!FUN!!!

does anyone have advice on deck building? I'm just not sure how to start building around a small set of cards you want drawn.
While I don't claim to be an expert or anything, what I do is take a theme, then build around it - I'm rather proud of the current deck I've been running: I just went 4-0 with it on the "2-wins in a row" XP event that's currently running.
Spoiler: The Deck (click to show/hide)

As far as getting what you want out when you want it out of your deck, you've basically got three tools - put more of them in your deck (obvious, but two cards make it twice as likely to be drawn, and four makes it twice as likely again), raw card draw (the more cards you're drawing, the more likely you'll get lucky) and "tutors" - cards that allow you to search for what you're looking for. The deck I just talked about basically runs entirely on the first - I've put in a lot of the cards that I think I'll need. I also cheat a bit - using Blood for Bones, I re-use the same cards over and over, so even if I don't draw new ones, I'm not stuck.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:35:14 pm by AlStar »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »

I've heard a really basic way to slap together a deck is to pick 9 different cards that make up a game plan, and have four of each of those cards.  Then the other 24 cards are your lands / mana base.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 05:21:27 am »

Currently mainly playing a very fun mono green elf spam deck (which unfortunately is going to be relegated to historic format soon). The idea is to get enough mana producers and a card with card draw (Beast Whisperer, Vanquisher's Banner, Immortal Sun) into play to get a bunch of elves on the board, go wide around my opponent. Artifacts and Elvish Clancallers buff my elves and Rhonas often provides a finishing punch (and with all the card draw, is easy to find). Very strong in many match ups, though it loses to board wipes and flyers give it a hard time if Rabid Bite isn't in hand.

Prior to my elf deck, I had been mostly playing a Feather deck. Of course don't let Feather's mana cost fool anyone, it's really a 4 cost because as soon as it hits the board it's a primary target and therefore it shouldn't be played without Gods Willing or Sheltering Light on hand (GW is usually better, but it doesn't protect against untargetted board wipes so I keep a copy of SL in the deck).

Of course I'm currently miffed about the whole upcoming 2:1 wildcard conversion rate for historic cards, making Historic's barrier to entry higher is going to kill the format.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:27:45 am by Flying Carcass »

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 01:44:20 pm »

The only MtG game you need is the one by Microprose from 20 years ago.  I'm surprised that they haven't made another game of that style since.

We need some kind of open world game where combat is resolved through card games.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 04:56:49 pm »

The only MtG game you need is the one by Microprose from 20 years ago.  I'm surprised that they haven't made another game of that style since.

We need some kind of open world game where combat is resolved through card games.
MtG: Battlegrounds was pretty fun, if janky as hell.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 05:22:45 pm »

There's a couple out there, actually. Don't even ask me what they're called, but there's more in that rough style around nowadays. Some fairly recent, iirc.

... any case, I think I tried arena at some point. Not very long, though. For some reason the whole hearthstone aesthetic thing is like deeply repulsive to me and is about the fastest way to get me to uninstall a game in existence. I literally don't know exactly why but it's a gigantic negative for me. Kinda' unfortunate when I do quite like card game style games.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 11:29:29 am »

I'm doing amazingly well in the 2020 event. I think I'm at roughly 20/6 win/loss. Even though I had some losses last night (including two after a win, which is actually the first time that's happened), they were learning experiences. Made some minor changes to the deck I posted above:
Spoiler: The new deck (click to show/hide)
The change from Kaya to Liliana was made after an opponent got off a Mass Manipulation, stole Teysa Karlov, and started drawing two cards on each creature death. Cavalier of Night also works great - kill one of my own creatures (which I mostly want to do anyway, to get death triggers) to kill something of his, get a good body out of it, and - if it dies - I just bring it right back with Blood for Bones do it again. Syr Konrad is just fun, since he triggers off of anything dying and things coming back out of the graveyard - meaning a Blood for Bones causes three triggers (the initial sac, then the two creatures coming out.)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 09:17:41 pm »

Bump:

There's an event going on for the next ~24 hours that lets you create a deck out of any card currently in standard, and, should you win 12 games before you lose 2, you win a card of every single set.

I managed to go all of 1 win before my 2 losses - first game went perfectly, but I got massively mana screwed on the next two. Shame, but I got some cards out of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3