Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: MTG: Arena  (Read 4598 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: MTG: Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 09:44:52 pm »

Someone call in the math nerds!
I want to know what the actual chances are, of winning 12 games with no more than 1 loss. I know this isn't accurate, but for the sake of keeping things simple, let's assume a 50:50 chance of winning each game.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 07:30:46 am »

If this calculator is correct, about 0.048281% for eleven in a row. So it'd be a bit better than that due to it not being entirely sequential, but... probably still less than a tenth of a percent.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 08:04:45 am »

Pretty sure the answer is 14/8192 = 0.1708984375 %

There is a generalised binomial expansion (vague memories) but I just crunched the possibilities for the particular case.  :P

(Take thirteen trials - total space of binary outcomes = 2^13 = 8192.  There are only fourteen succesful possible runs, thirteen with a failure in a particular match, and a fourteenth with no losses at all... in the real world the thirteenth match is not played if the first twelve are successful but we need to consider that it could have been both a win or a loss in the probability space.)

Edit: corrected decimal place.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:11:35 am by feelotraveller »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 09:04:08 am »

Question for people who play this:
About how often can a totally F2P player earn a booster pack in-game? (assuming that's the main way to get new cards)

Last online card game I played was Duelyst, and one of the things I liked most about it was that a couple hours of play each day (enough time for the 3 daily quests) would reliably earn you a booster pack every day.

How would this game compare in terms of F2P experience?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 09:33:22 am »

About 1.5-1.7 boosters per day, i'd say, assuming you don't play draft. Although having more than 4 copies of one card is of no use. Although you sometimes get "redeem for any card of your choosing" cards. In general, for me at first "and whatever i should do with all this?" was more pressing question than "Where the hell i'm suppposed to get 4 Hydroids?". "God, what a motherfucking grindfest" came after a month of playing.  :P But still, rather playable in f2p or with minimal payments.
what the hell i have said
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:38:21 am by MCreeper »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 09:45:26 am »

If all you want is boosters, then you could manage the same pace of one per day - you get a daily quest that's worth 500 or 750 gold, and your first couple wins are 250, 100, 100, 100 gold - which will give you the 1,000 gold you need for a booster (8 cards).
(The rest of the daily wins are 1 card, 50 gold, 1 card, 50 gold, 1 card, 50 gold, 1 card, 25 gold, 1 card, 25 gold, 1 card)

That said, you're better off saving up 5000 gold for a draft (IMO). That gets you a total of 60 cards (all of which are added to your account), out of which you create a deck and play to either 7 wins or 3 losses. Rewards are 1 booster (guaranteed), a % chance at a 2nd booster (100% if you win all 7), and gems - the premium currency. 6 wins will allow you to go infinite (rewards 850 gems, draft costs 750 gems to enter).

I feel the game is very F2P friendly - I've spent $5 on the game (there's a newbie starter pack that gives an excellent cash-to-gems rate which I went for), and haven't felt the need to spend more.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 09:51:58 am »

The main barrier to FTP is the (rare) wildcards neccessary to build a proper mana base out of lands that are almost exclusively rare cards.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 10:22:00 am »

Nice. Havent played a whole ton lately, but I am digging the Throne of Eldraine content (mostly).

Something I have been starting to think about but have mostly avoided: what are people's opinions on gates or multicolored land cards? When I first started playing I used them a bit more, but now they never feature in my deck unless they have a cool ability. Can anyone explain the advantages of gates that might offset the "enter the battlefield tapped" business?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 10:37:37 am »

Something I have been starting to think about but have mostly avoided: what are people's opinions on gates or multicolored land cards? When I first started playing I used them a bit more, but now they never feature in my deck unless they have a cool ability. Can anyone explain the advantages of gates that might offset the "enter the battlefield tapped" business?
Gates specifically have cards that interact with them - things like Gates Ablaze (deals X damage to each creature, where X is the number of Gates you control.) or Archway Angel (when it enters the battlefield, you gain 2 life for each Gate you control.)

Otherwise, it's all about getting your mana base stabilized and working for what your deck needs. If all your cards are just (Color)(X), then you can probably get by with just normal lands, but if you're trying to play two or three (or more) colors, and you've got cards that need (Color)(Color)(X) or more, suddenly it becomes very important if you've only drawn one Plains and four Forests, but you want to cast something that needs (White)(White).

Edit: Best example I can think of, offhand, would be a Giganotosaurus - a 10/10 creature for 5 mana - awesome! However, its casting cost is (G)(G)(G)(G)(G). Easy if you're playing mono-green, nigh-impossible if you're playing multi-color.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:43:03 am by AlStar »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2019, 11:33:58 am »

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for putting into simple terms!

I'm a bit busy ATM, but maybe I'll post a deck or two later to workshop? The two decks I'm currently running (now pretty much out of standard, sadly) are a tribal cleric deck and an angel/flying deck, which are both pretty mid-range I think? (I still haven't caught myself up on MTG deckbuilding theory).

*Or maybe they're more aggro-control?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 07:00:44 pm »

Well, just discovered that lands don't actually count as colored permanents.

During a match I played "Ravnica at War", thinking it it would exile my opponent's dual lands (and thus prevent him from playing a Bolas I knew he had in hand). I mean, the card doesn't specify non-land permanents so I figured lands would be vulnerable to it, but after playing it and whiffing I looked online and found the aforementioned ruling that lands aren't considered colored. Not for nothing, but I hate obscure technicalities like that, especially since there's nothing in the arena client that would indicate that lands don't have a color (heck, dual lands have the same 2 color backboard colors as multi color permanents).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:28:03 pm by Flying Carcass »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 07:13:08 pm »

Interesting card, potentially devastating for only 4 mana.

There are a few that also destroy lands if I recall though, so if thats what you're lookin for dont give up.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 09:15:23 pm »

Most of the actually good land destruction rotated out, unfortunately.  So did blood moon or whatever the standard version was at the time (enchantment that made lands basic lands).

But yeah, the thing that produces the thing that makes other things colored is not colored.

-----

You know what's my favorite card these days?  God's Willing.  You can counter spells that target your guys, chump block for free, make someone unblockable, and probably more shenanigans I haven't thought of yet.  And its only one white mana, and gives you a scry 1.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 05:21:29 pm »

New rat deck.
And how it usually goes.
Look at my RAT, ye noob, and despair!
This thing just takes stupid long time to set up. And don't fucking say "Cavalcade of cancer calamity".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:45:03 am by MCreeper »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2019, 11:45:12 am »

Rats

How do you get enough rat cards to play it???

For reference, I played a guy that literally had like 20-30 rat cards, it was wild.
Pages: 1 [2] 3