Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]

Author Topic: Kaiju-com 2  (Read 56049 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-com 2
« Reply #645 on: June 07, 2021, 12:41:54 pm »

Yeaaah, I've really just been lurking this game, didn't know it was such a hassle to do a turn. Ah well, better luck next time!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 07, 2021, 04:07:18 pm »

Agh, I didn't realize you'd posted in-thread!

Uh.  Give me mechanics.  Give me your files.  I want your system!  All of it!

...Can't really think of any fluff questions right now.  Everything I wanted to ask has pretty much already been answered.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 07, 2021, 10:14:43 pm »

..my notes are in no way functional for anyone else, but I'll give you it in dribs and drabs.

Here's, for instance, the kaiju generation method, for the December attack:

Spoiler: Kaiju Generator (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:17:40 pm by Devastator »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 08, 2021, 01:17:34 pm »

This is also interesting for me, thanks.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 08, 2021, 09:33:59 pm »

Well, if you wanted numbers.. here's a combat round.

Spoiler: players shooting demo (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:36:34 pm by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 10, 2021, 09:35:40 pm »

...Could've sworn I posted.

Well.  That explains why -/F and F/- were so similar.  F damage has to get a grade up, then the Kaiju needs to roll about minimum for soaking damage.  F AP also needs to get a grade up, then have the Kaiju roll minimum to get the damage through.  It also surprises me that damage and AP are almost totally unrelated... and that damage upgrades in a very linear fashion.  It strikes me that AP seems superior to damage, because scoring even 1 damage makes it easier to score more hits.  Did we mostly deal damage through AP?  I recall you saying we virtually never did more than a couple points of damage at most.

...It's also amusing that AP becomes worthless against a Kaiju with extra armor, which is the opposite of what I'd expect.

I'm very interested in how R&D works.  For mad scientists and orgs both.  It seemed to me like there was a development cost for every grade gained, possibly multiplied by the stat?  Payload was easier than damage, IIRC.   And then every month you'd get some amount of points.

Oh!  I really want to know what the heck was up with exotic materials!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 10, 2021, 09:53:42 pm »

AP did most of the damage, but power did a few heavy hits, and when it did heavy damage, it mattered.  Plus you can have both.. if you had like a F//C weapon, it would basically never do more than one damage, where a E or D power would have a much better chance of getting one or two free damage, and then adding a couple more points through AP on top of that.

AP isn't worthless against extra armour.  It made the kaiju roll d(strength+2), not d(strength)+2 for the armour roll.

I'll go into R&D later, but here's the general idea..

Every project had a total research cost, measured in months.  The project was then adjusted according to several modifiers.. such as if an organization had a Mad Science Machine, which added a flat 2/3 multiplier to the time it took.  There was also a 'big project' adjustment, where if the project took 4 or more months, it only took 3/4 the usual time.  Already completed projects didn't add to the time necessary.. the project only took the amount of time required by the improvements.

In general, letter grades cost a certain number of months, for each letter grade, for each size category.  The bigger the item was, the less time it took to develop a certain letter grade.  Special abilities usually cost 2, 4, or 6 months depending on how valuable I decided each one was.  You could also have special abilities such as (ammo short) which added negative months.

Mad Scientist projects progressed by 1d6+(mad science machines) months each iteration.  1s gave zero, not one.  They also had an extra stat called 'corruption' on their projects which determined how likely they were to escape.  Ones and sixes added 3 points, 2-4 added 1, and 5s added zero.

Exotic Materials added +2 letter grades to any project, independant of time taken.  IE, you'd develop a C power weapon, and it'd end up as an A power weapon with exotic materials.  Expensive, but it could have been useful.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:56:50 pm by Devastator »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 10, 2021, 11:16:28 pm »

AP did most of the damage, but power did a few heavy hits, and when it did heavy damage, it mattered.  Plus you can have both.. if you had like a F//C weapon, it would basically never do more than one damage, where a E or D power would have a much better chance of getting one or two free damage, and then adding a couple more points through AP on top of that.

AP isn't worthless against extra armour.  It made the kaiju roll d(strength+2), not d(strength)+2 for the armour roll.

I'll go into R&D later, but here's the general idea..

Every project had a total research cost, measured in months.  The project was then adjusted according to several modifiers.. such as if an organization had a Mad Science Machine, which added a flat 2/3 multiplier to the time it took.  There was also a 'big project' adjustment, where if the project took 4 or more months, it only took 3/4 the usual time.  Already completed projects didn't add to the time necessary.. the project only took the amount of time required by the improvements.

In general, letter grades cost a certain number of months, for each letter grade, for each size category.  The bigger the item was, the less time it took to develop a certain letter grade.  Special abilities usually cost 2, 4, or 6 months depending on how valuable I decided each one was.  You could also have special abilities such as (ammo short) which added negative months.

Mad Scientist projects progressed by 1d6+(mad science machines) months each iteration.  1s gave zero, not one.  They also had an extra stat called 'corruption' on their projects which determined how likely they were to escape.  Ones and sixes added 3 points, 2-4 added 1, and 5s added zero.

Exotic Materials added +2 letter grades to any project, independant of time taken.  IE, you'd develop a C power weapon, and it'd end up as an A power weapon with exotic materials.  Expensive, but it could have been useful.

How hard would the nukes hit with exotic materials?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 10, 2021, 11:23:52 pm »

That would be S+1, which is 1d20+4 base damage.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 15, 2021, 02:22:13 am »

Okay.. next mechanic to cover is kaiju shooting.

Spoiler: Kaiju Shots. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:25:34 am by Devastator »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 21, 2021, 06:19:09 am »

I don't follow the armor mechanic.  What does "1 of 1", or "2 of 3" mean?  One roll with target number 1, two rolls with target number 3?  Was damage only blocked if the Kaiju rolled equal or below the target number?  That's the only logical explanation I can think of, but it's vauge.

How much damage did Kaiju weapons do?  I'd love to see their arsenal.

Also, I still want to see more about how research works.  Like, enough so that I could roll research turns myself.  :v

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 21, 2021, 11:20:01 am »

I don't follow the armor mechanic.  What does "1 of 1", or "2 of 3" mean?  One roll with target number 1, two rolls with target number 3?  Was damage only blocked if the Kaiju rolled equal or below the target number?

Yup.

How much damage did Kaiju weapons do?

The ones that rolled dice generally had B or greater power.  The ones that did fixed strength based damage usually did strength, or strength/2 damage.  Some of the auras did less, the longer range aura did only 1d5, for instance.  That one was survived several times.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]