Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44

Author Topic: Kaiju-com 2  (Read 55887 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-Com 2, January Actions
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2019, 11:32:31 am »

Private message to ER
Dear trusted allies:

We have recently acquired a supply of enhanced, Depleted-Uranium ammunition for small arms for a very reasonable price. Given the upcoming kaiju threat, we'll we willing to share as many rounds as you're willing to fire. Combat effectiveness is untested, of course, but this is a good opportunity to create data. I'm sure that we'll all need as many edges as possible for the fight ahead.

-ER
I’m also working on a way to incorporate my new toxins into weapons

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2019, 11:43:40 am »

Dear Ms. Flare

Given the seeming prevalence of biological warfare amongst the independent scientist community, we have considered the development of specialized artillery shells for delivering various toxins. This seems to the be the available platform for biological warfare at the current time. However, there are other avenues of research that may be of higher priority, depending on the outcome of the upcoming fight.
Our allies have recommended finding a way to reinforce the frames of technicals, which would be a priority of we had a material strong and light enough to enhance survivability without sacrificing mobility.
It has also come to our attention that an independent scientist has developed some kind of powerful energy weapon. We may wish to purchase this weapon and compare its effectiveness directly against a laser weapon of our own design

Of course if you're willing to provide a specimen of your own weapon, we would make sure to prioritize the artillery shell project so that your research can see combat. <3

-ER
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2019, 11:57:09 am »

Dear Ms. Flare

Given the seeming prevalence of biological warfare amongst the independent scientist community, we have considered the development of specialized artillery shells for delivering various toxins. This seems to the be the available platform for biological warfare at the current time. However, there are other avenues of research that may be of higher priority, depending on the outcome of the upcoming fight.
Our allies have recommended finding a way to reinforce the frames of technicals, which would be a priority of we had a material strong and light enough to enhance survivability without sacrificing mobility.
It has also come to our attention that an independent scientist has developed some kind of powerful energy weapon. We may wish to purchase this weapon and compare its effectiveness directly against a laser weapon of our own design

Of course if you're willing to provide a specimen of your own weapon, we would make sure to prioritize the artillery shell project so that your research can see combat. <3

-ER
I am testing to figure out which dosage method has the lowest LD50. The weapon I produce will be based on these results. It could be a gas, liquid, or solid. I will keep samples of the toxin to hopefully figure out which proteins can produce them, and which genes produce the proteins. And depending on which mode of dosing is the most effective at killing, the gene that produces the toxin will be placed within the gametes of fungi, plants, animals, other eukaryotes, bacteria...if I can engineer a life form that can produce this toxin, a parasitic one of course, we can inject them into Kaiju and let them kill the Kaiju. We can then collect the parts and farm these creatures to use in more battles and to produce more toxins. The wonderful thing about biology is that life makes more of itself. Of course the type of creature I add this gene to will be determined based on attributes of the toxin

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2019, 12:50:29 pm »

While it may prove more effective to implant parasites into the kaiju threat, it's a harder engineering task to do so, compared to simply injecting the toxin. Living things require larger payloads, and might not survive being shot from a simple cannon. It would be much simpler to engineer an organism which produces the toxin and harvest it in the lab.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2019, 12:58:08 pm »

We can do that, but there’s nothing stopping us from engineering two organisms with the toxin, one for harvesting,a sessile organism, and a parasitic organism that can move on its own and hunt for Kaiju. A flying creature, maybe, a creature with a stinger that allows it to lay eggs in its host. There are numerous parasitic wasps that already exist. We could engineer a species to be able to produce and survive the toxin, while we harvest the toxins from the plant/fungus/barnacle/sea anemone/sea lilies.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2019, 02:22:55 pm »

”Coke Knights:
Air Transport deploys the current Artillery Piece and Infantry Squad, the squad stays near the kaiju’s position to get access to the harvesting of the corpse at the end, while the Artilllery Piece maintains radio with the Platoon to continuously bombard the end my
Your what?
Sorry was in a hurry when I posted that message, anyways.

Intel Org, have any valuable information that you received that you could of received through a PM about the Kaiju, environment, whatever? We got a PM about the Black Market Deals, also we could use one the Depleted Uranium Rounds if your willing to trade or give them.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2019, 05:30:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MORE PRIONS
BIGGER PRIONS
TOUGHER PRIONS
ANGRIER PRIONS
Also cocaine. More cocaine please. 1 unit of cocaine.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2019, 07:22:54 pm »

Spoiler: TLDR (click to show/hide)

Excerpt of ADD Employee Manual "Kaiju and You"

While many of you have experience with human targets, Kaiju are a different sort of beast. Our analysts tell us that fighting a Kaiju should be more comparable to hunting big game than a typical combined arms engagement. With this frame of reference, we have begun branding all Kaiju-focused engagement devices with names that invoke traditional hunting terminology and methods. With this in mind, do not let their size frighten you! Our ancestors where able to hunt Mammoths much larger than themselves with little more than sharpened sticks. If they can manage that, you can manage this just as well. You may be small compared to them, but just think about how small a bullet is compared to you! Units are encouraged to take on similar terminology when civilians might overhear, to encourage brand recognition.

Fortunately, the most important factor transfers over from target to target: Shot Placement. Due to their increased size and the ever increasing accuracy of Ares-branded weaponry, it is unnecessary to aim center-mass when engaging Kaiju-sized targets. Instead you should focus your fire on any apparent "Weak Points". There is not currently enough data to speculate on universal targets, however they are expected to follow the basic laws of biology as their smaller cousins based on current mad-scientist experimentation. As one would expect, the Brain, Lungs, and Heart are all theoretical targets based on the apparent thickness of the target's skull, skin, or other armor covering. If a hit is shown to be effective, continue targeting the same area until the target is destroyed. Additional, non-vital targets may be a higher priority if a quick kill can not be guaranteed. For example, if the target has large unguarded eyes while the rest of its body is apparently well armored, blind the target with concentrated fire before attempting to aim for a vital point to prevent it from engaging. Just remember the BLEHW method: Brains, Lungs, Eyes, Heart, Weakpoint.

Area of engagement is another important topic. While we do not get to decide the fight's location, we are able to take advantage of it. Engaging at ground-level is generally not encouraged when following the BLEHW method, as the angle of fire is award when engaging larger creatures and it leaves you vulnerable to return attacks. Motorized vehicles should utilize hills and mountains whenever possible, allowing fire to be stacked and hitting higher targets at a more preferable straight angle. Infantry may make use of civilian buildings, so long as they have a secure evacuation route and have insured that their blow-back will not damage themselves. Current ADD technology and tactics focuses on firepower rather than armor, as such units are encouraged to retreat if the Kaiju comes in "stomping distance" or appears to be ready to charge. This may include utilizing helicopter evacuation if it has been prepared beforehand....

Response from ADD SR&D Department

To Professor Flare:
We currently have limited Kaiju engagement data and can thus not suggest effective deployment methods for your toxin at this time. We have noted that if you are planning on sending in living organisms it would likely be preferable to use "gentler" methods of transportation, such as a host insect or other animal, rather than attempting to bombard the target with shells filled with organisms and explosives hoping they survive the blast. Corporate has been hesitant to suggest this, but there has been a big discussion in the Special Research and Development wing about "taming" Kaiju to fight on our side. According to your portfolio you focus on parasitical research. We believe that you may be capable of developing a brain-eating parasite capable of taking over a Kaiju's CNS, allowing you to control their bodies. We believe that this would allow you to continuously produce more parasites without having to worry about the death of the subject, in addition to giving you an effective disease vector in the form of the host. Our second suggestion would be to incorporate Kaiju DNA (or equivalent) into your parasite designs, allowing for a Kaiju-sized "Mothership" that is capable of deploying smaller versions of herself into enemy targets, but would urge you have some way to control it before attempting this method.

Regards,
SR&D Department

Additionally send 1 unit of DU small arms ammo to any organization deploying infantry in the upcoming fight.

"Thanks for the bullets" -ADD Commander (In-person)

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2019, 07:47:26 pm »

To ADD
Yes. I am hoping on engineering parasitic wasps that produce the toxin I am working on. The wasps will be able to inject their eggs using their ovipositors, and the larvae can live in and eat the Kaiju while producing toxins. The genes I will be using for the wasps could also be used in sessile organisms such as fungi so that the toxins can be harvested for use in weaponry.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2019, 07:50:02 pm »

That's correct.  Income gives you money every other turn.

This occured to me awhile back, but... maybe you should refer to turns, and pairs of turns, or "every other turn", by different names.  The language you've written can be confusing in places, since some things happen every turn, while other things happen every action turn.  I recall thinking that you made a typo where you wrote "every turn" instead of "every other turn".

Perhaps it would be better to call every pair of turns a "cycle", with individual updates being the only thing called turns?  That way, you could say "you get paid income at the start of every cycle", and there's zero confusion about what that means, or when pay will come.  Other things that do happen every update, like mad science, can then be said to happen every turn without confusion.

Private message to ADD
I need to figure out how deadly my toxin is. Below is the experiment I’m performing this month as a start to figuring out the best dosing method. This will not be the only experiment I’m doing, just the first. Maybe eventually I can create proteins that produce this toxin, genes that produce the proteins, creatures that can dig inside Kaiju and release the toxins into their bodies. They can reproduce within the Kaiju until the toxins kill the hosts, then we can collect the parasites in the Kaiju parts, so we can give them more hosts, more Kaiju. But there must always be a first step, the first question is what is the best way to give the toxins? This will influence the traits I will select for in the future Parasite Breeding program.
figure out the median lethal dose (LD50) of my new toxins, on the largest species of animal I can get 300 of. They will be divided into 3 groups of 100. Group A gets 10 mg ingested, group B gets 10 mg inhaled, group C gets 10 mg absorbed through the skin. If no deaths occur within a day, add 10 more mg to each group the same way as before, A always ingesting the toxin, B always inhaling the toxin, C always absorbing the toxin. Continue waiting a day before administering 10 mg. Record the amount of deaths by day and dose for each group. Each group getting a line. Dosage on the y axis, percent dead on the x axis. Continue until 50% of deaths are reached in each of the three groups. Compare LD50 numbers for each group to determine which mode of dosing produced the lowest LD50 and which produced the highest LD50.

Best regards, Ashley Flare

1. It's not a private message if everyone can see it.

2. My faction gains extra information on the effectiveness of weapons and technology, due to my unique proving grounds building.  I will of course share any information gained from this, but I don't believe it works on materiel used by other players.  Gimme dat toxin!

3. I really understand the desire to be extremely technical and proper in experiments--just ask Piecewise about my rigorous penetration testing, it probably left him with permanent mental scarring--but it's a bad idea in a game like this.  For one thing, how much is 10 mg in a functional game context?  I can guarantee you that Dev will never give you a specific measurable volume of toxin that you can buy for 1 currency, and even if he did, you have essentially no way to measure how much toxin can fit inside your delivery methods.  Even if someone specifically tinkers up an artillery shell that has a specific payload measured in milligrams, Dev will likely say that the finished product does not fit the initial specifications perfectly, for good reason!

I recommend that you make your orders a bit more flexible in interpretation and specifics, and that you clearly state exactly what you're testing for, and why.  Remember, you're not actually a scientist, you're just a player asking this world's god a question, and said god is ad hoc defining the answer based on a die roll.  Creating a proper scientific test to ascertain the answer is, in practice, just making it harder for Devastator to understand what you're even asking, and making it harder for you to interpret his answer.

...Though, knowing Dev, maybe he won't react like Piecewise.  Just don't blame me if he writes your character's death warrant out of terminal annoyance.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2019, 07:57:55 pm »

just ask Piecewise about my rigorous penetration testing,

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2019, 08:00:28 pm »

That's correct.  Income gives you money every other turn.

This occured to me awhile back, but... maybe you should refer to turns, and pairs of turns, or "every other turn", by different names.  The language you've written can be confusing in places, since some things happen every turn, while other things happen every action turn.  I recall thinking that you made a typo where you wrote "every turn" instead of "every other turn".

Perhaps it would be better to call every pair of turns a "cycle", with individual updates being the only thing called turns?  That way, you could say "you get paid income at the start of every cycle", and there's zero confusion about what that means, or when pay will come.  Other things that do happen every update, like mad science, can then be said to happen every turn without confusion.

Private message to ADD
I need to figure out how deadly my toxin is. Below is the experiment I’m performing this month as a start to figuring out the best dosing method. This will not be the only experiment I’m doing, just the first. Maybe eventually I can create proteins that produce this toxin, genes that produce the proteins, creatures that can dig inside Kaiju and release the toxins into their bodies. They can reproduce within the Kaiju until the toxins kill the hosts, then we can collect the parasites in the Kaiju parts, so we can give them more hosts, more Kaiju. But there must always be a first step, the first question is what is the best way to give the toxins? This will influence the traits I will select for in the future Parasite Breeding program.
figure out the median lethal dose (LD50) of my new toxins, on the largest species of animal I can get 300 of. They will be divided into 3 groups of 100. Group A gets 10 mg ingested, group B gets 10 mg inhaled, group C gets 10 mg absorbed through the skin. If no deaths occur within a day, add 10 more mg to each group the same way as before, A always ingesting the toxin, B always inhaling the toxin, C always absorbing the toxin. Continue waiting a day before administering 10 mg. Record the amount of deaths by day and dose for each group. Each group getting a line. Dosage on the y axis, percent dead on the x axis. Continue until 50% of deaths are reached in each of the three groups. Compare LD50 numbers for each group to determine which mode of dosing produced the lowest LD50 and which produced the highest LD50.

Best regards, Ashley Flare

1. It's not a private message if everyone can see it.

2. My faction gains extra information on the effectiveness of weapons and technology, due to my unique proving grounds building.  I will of course share any information gained from this, but I don't believe it works on materiel used by other players.  Gimme dat toxin!

3. I really understand the desire to be extremely technical and proper in experiments--just ask Piecewise about my rigorous penetration testing, it probably left him with permanent mental scarring--but it's a bad idea in a game like this.  For one thing, how much is 10 mg in a functional game context?  I can guarantee you that Dev will never give you a specific measurable volume of toxin that you can buy for 1 currency, and even if he did, you have essentially no way to measure how much toxin can fit inside your delivery methods.  Even if someone specifically tinkers up an artillery shell that has a specific payload measured in milligrams, Dev will likely say that the finished product does not fit the initial specifications perfectly, for good reason!

I recommend that you make your orders a bit more flexible in interpretation and specifics, and that you clearly state exactly what you're testing for, and why.  Remember, you're not actually a scientist, you're just a player asking this world's god a question, and said god is ad hoc defining the answer based on a die roll.  Creating a proper scientific test to ascertain the answer is, in practice, just making it harder for Devastator to understand what you're even asking, and making it harder for you to interpret his answer.

...Though, knowing Dev, maybe he won't react like Piecewise.  Just don't blame me if he writes your character's death warrant out of terminal annoyance.
Dev is interpreting this as trying to make a weapon out of the toxin. The experiment here is fluff
Do note that I will be interpreting your orders as a research project to develop an effective weapon that uses your toxin.  I don't know if I'll have specific numbers for you, but in general you will be making something that puts your toxin on target.

Which is a very necessary step to actually using it, so no worries.  Just don't be worried if I don't have the numbers for you, mad scientists are more mad than diligent record-keepers.  ;-p
That’s good. I wasn’t sure how detailed the experiment plans had to be
It's fine.  I will use it to guide what exactly you develop.
Yes. Next month’s action will be formatted with the goal. I am playing MAD Scientist RTD and used to be a scientist in Grunt RTD, so that’s why I’m thinking experiments. I will mention the expected/hoped for culmination of experiments(weapons/armor/buffs) for future

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2019, 08:21:32 pm »

Hrm. I would like to request that nobody keeps their infantry in reserve for this fight. I can see why you'd want to make sure your platoon survives the battle and takes home kaiju bits, but that can only happen if we collectively win the fight, which is far from a guarantee at this point. With the special ammo, infantry should be able to deal enough damage to make a real difference between us killing the monster and advancing our research, and us getting all our units wiped out and basically losing a cycle's worth of money replacing them.
Looking at you, Irony. <3

Intel Org, have any valuable information that you received that you could of received through a PM about the Kaiju, environment, whatever? We got a PM about the Black Market Deals, also we could use one the Depleted Uranium Rounds if your willing to trade or give them.

I don't have much intel on the kaiju at the moment, but that should change soon enough. I do have a small amount of not-very-interesting intel on our employers, but there's not much use you'd have for it, and I'd want your black market intel in exchange. :3

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2019, 04:56:21 pm »

EVIL Turn Actions
Given that Lord Silver's Death Ray Truck currently lacks a Death Ray, instead of deploying anything Lord Silver will stay home and continue to work on the Death Ray Truck, hopefully adding a proper death ray to it.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2019, 09:06:07 pm »

Yeah, the term I meant to use is 'month' for each set of two turns.  I'll be doing better rules posts and editing them into the OP during this weekend.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44