Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44

Author Topic: Kaiju-com 2  (Read 55361 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-Com 2, Battle of Newcastle
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2019, 06:56:47 am »

Battle of Newcastle, Australia:

The main deployment of this month is to Australia.  Specifically, Newcastle, north of Sydney.  This time, much to your annoyance, the Kaiju is coming up right on the beach.. deployments are hasty, with units rushing to the combat area.  This time, damage will be done to the city.  Leading off the fight, the RAN seems to be willing to contest this battle.  They have ships patrolling up and down the coasts, with the clear intention of fighting back.  Protecting Newcastle is HMAS Canberra, a missile frigate.

The Kaiju begins to pull itself out of the sea.  It's a collossal lobster-like thing, blue like all Kaiju, although this one seems a particularly intense colour.  There are some land modifications.. there seems to be extra limbs under the tail.  The tail itself is very notable.  Unless you miss your guess, and enormous missile launcher of some kind is built into it, clearly with some articulation and great power.

The Canberra shoots first.  The missile streaks out towards the Kaiju, taking a moment to build up speed.  The response is immediate.  Even before the hit is recieved, a second missile is launched from the Kaiju, aimed for the Canberra

The ASM is a definite hit.  The high-speed missile visibly slams into the giant lobster , and a large explosion is seen.  The smoke, however, clears to show a still-intact Kaiju, albeit a mad one.

The Canberra isn't so lucky.  The enemy missile is a solid hit, and she's in a sinking condition following the attack.  Not utterly demolished, but clearly removed from the battlefield.

The ground units are still scrambling, hurrying to get in position.  But the new black market jet from the USSCI is in range, and launches some missiles.  Again, the Kaiju shoots back, almost before the jet reaches the drop point, but almost is not quite, which makes a difference.  The jet disappears into an explosion, with nothing visible remaining.  Its missiles, however, are not forgotten.  Several hits are scored on the Kaiju, and this time it seems to feel them.  Blood drips, and it takes a long moment to recover.

Following the explosion, the creature seems to be turning about in a rage.  Several buildings are badly damaged or destroyed, and it manages to ready another missile for the oncoming units before any can enter range.

This one streaks towards the Ares infantry, causing an absurd explosion.  Fortunately, after seeing the previous effects, the column managed to scatter properly and continues, despite significant casulties.  At long last, the ground troops are in range.  Three artillery pieces and the Coke Knights MRLS have managed to close the range.  The infantry are still struggling to get their smaller weapons into the fight.

They fire their weapons, and the Kaiju erupts into flame, only to bull through it without further wounds.  This is one tough lobster!  It then chooses to launch another missile.  At the same target.  It is pretty much unmentionable what happens to the remainder of the Ares platoon.

Another round of fire is launched.  This Kaiju doesn't seem to have any area powers, so it's a simple damage race.  The next blow goes to the MRLS.  The repeated pounding has opened up a new pit on the back of the creature, and it's visibly weakened.

Weakened.. but not dead.  That missile launcher, still seemingly untouched and fully functional, returns fire on the last attacker.  There is nothing left but a crater left of the MRLS, the missile arcing heavily in this urban environment.

More fire from the k-coms comes out.  At this point the Kaiju is certainly weakened.. bleeding, with plenty of scorch marks and small chunks broken off.  It's still fighting hard, but it's starting to look vulnerable, which shows quickly.  The Coke Knights artillery nails a nice bank shot at the leg joints.  That certainly wounded it.  Unfortunately, it must have staggered out of the way, as the follow-up shots from the USSCI battery is mostly off-target.

The Kaiju, seemingly maddened by pain, and perhaps beginning to worry about dying, attempts to charge the attackers.  It's still quick despite all that's happened, but is unable to yet close the range.  The missile launcher attacks for it, however, and one more missile streaks out into the heavens.

Which demolishes one of the USSCI artillery pieces.

The surviving units, at this time, two artillery pieces and an infantry platoon, attack the badly wounded Kaiju.  The USSCI unit manages the next hit, repeating the hit last turn on the tail, but this time the protective armour over it cracks.  It's functionality is unknown, but that definately did damage.  Sadly, the other two units fail to compound on the damage.

The lobster continues to charge the ADD artillery piece, but is starting to look erratic.  It manages to close the range, trying to smash the weapon with its pincers, but it isn't in control of itself, digging into buildings and ground works rather than the defending artillery.  This still causes shrapnel to rain over them, wounding some of the crew as they try to retreat hurredly.

One missile, hopefully the last launches from the damaged tail.  This one is homing somewhat erratically.  Perhaps some of the targeting systems were damaged.  It's less accurate than the previous missiles have been, but the explosive yield is still immense, and even a near-miss is enough to wreck the final USSCI artillery piece.  This one at least is left as twisted wreckage rather than simply vanishing.

The Ares artillery crew, wounded from the fragments and desperately trying to run away, scatter return fire and fail to do damage to the giant monster.  The Coke Knights, in a seemingly chivalric attempt, focus fire closely on the Kaiju, hitting it with a close burst of machine gun fire to some of the exposed wounds, causing more blood to spurt out.

..even those who did it can't quite believe themselves when the collossal creature starts slowing down further.  They maintain the fire..  killing the Kaiju.  Praise be to the Coke Knights, for they have killed a Kaiju with infantry small arms!

(More to follow over the next few days.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:09:46 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kaiju-Com 2, Battle of Kota Bharu.
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2019, 03:31:06 am »

Battle of Kota Bharu, Malaysia:

The second battle of the month.. an unprecedented occurance, is in Malaysia.  The Kaiju is landing near the northern border, outside the city of Kota Bharu.  Fortunately, unlike in Newcastle, the city isn't crowding the coastline as heavily as Newcastle.. there should be some time to engage the Kaiju first.

The airfield is a bit small here, and it's a military base.  It's sufficient for two large aircraft, though, and the two planes disgorge their contents into the base.  Two infantry platoons and two heavily modified technicals, one armed with a great laser and both featuring heavy armour.

They are greeted by only a few people, and hurredly rush to the battlefield.  It seems the Malaysian military means to concentrate force before counterattacking, writing off a large chunk of the city while they get their relatively weak units together in sufficient numbers to hopefully destroy the Kaiju.

Two APCs however, either refusing orders or too slow to retreat, join up with the K-com forces.  It seems they're willing to fight.  They are Condors, lightly armed and armoured, but not out of place next to the light vehicles and infantry.

Since the four units have time, they approach the beach as a group, unwilling to seperate too much until they enter range.  This Kaiju, visible for the first time seems a little off.  It's a huge quadrupedal creature, vaguely resembling a horse or donkey, but not by much.  One leg seems missing, and despite it, the Kaiju moves both quickly, and extremely erratically.

The jungle vegetation also serves the units well.  They aren't quite able to all enter range unspotted, but they get pretty close.  Still, the mule takes first strike, spitting a large glob of acid at the attackers.. in particular, the armoured technical with the laser cannon.  The nimble vehicle tries to evade, but is unable to dodge, and takes a good splash of acid.  The armour plate serves pretty well, with the vehicle surviving the initial splash, but eventually the corrosive fluid leaks through and destroys some critical part.

Following the first loss, the remainder of the group enters range and begins the engagement.  A hail of cannon shells, small rockets, and explosions rush out at the Kaiju, but morale is good, and the veteran Happytime Atrocities infantry is particularly accurate, with several machine guns combining to score some damage on the underside of the beast, combining good aim with a weak point.

And then the Prion Launcher is ready.  The ominous, goop-filled device is carefully aimed, and fired.

The payload of strange liquid is not a direct hit, but it is close enough.  The goop sprays all over one of the front legs of the kaiju, eating through meters of flesh in seconds.  A few moments later, there is a great crash as the front leg collapses and the beast falls down.

Incredibly, it is still capable of movement.  And it seems directed for once, at the attackers.  The hind legs twitch, and the whole front end of the creature charges towards the unit that dealt it such a wound, leading off with a spray of acid.

Which catches the veteran infantry in full, acid eating through cover, and dispersing well to hit a great many of the units.  It's then followed up with a huge smash as the creature's bulk hits the same area, smashing any wounded into just so much more meat goop.

The remaining units, bereft of their best weapon, aim to finish the job.  They might be without the strongest attacks, but the Kaiju is greviously wounded, and hopefully can be finished off.

However, the various small arms and low-strength attacks either bounce off hide or are safely absorbed into the bulk of the liquified and semi-liquid flesh.

The partially-melted creature then attempts to turn to it's next victim: The 51803 Infantry unit.  Another blast of acid is sprayed out, several more people are killed, but it isn't wiped out like the previous one, as the unit holds together.

..Over the course of the next several minutes, the crippled Kaiju fires out more acid, and the few remaining units return fire.  The armoured grenade technical is wrecked.  But eventually, with a long burst of autocannon fire, the slightly gooey Kaiju is killed from cumulative damage.  The killing blow is done by one of the Condor APCs, for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:17:25 am by Devastator »

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-Com 2, Battle of Kota Bharu.
« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2019, 01:37:28 am »

(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2019, 03:04:54 am »

Spoiler: Stirk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Egan_BW (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Irony Owl (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shadowclaw777 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Syvarris (click to show/hide)

(Mad scientist turns tomorrow.  Hopefully ending the month then.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:41:40 pm by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2019, 03:42:52 am »

Does anyone have any already processed kaiju muscle? I'd be willing to trade for 3 samples. I have unprocessed kaiju skin and liver, ERA armor, and money.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2019, 10:19:52 pm »

Does anyone have any already processed kaiju muscle? I'd be willing to trade for 3 samples. I have unprocessed kaiju skin and liver, ERA armor, and money.
Where are my kaiju genitals Egan. I am a man of special needs.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2019, 10:46:43 pm »

I have some kaiju guts? Probably the closest (and by far cheapest) you're gonna get to genitals.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2019, 11:05:52 pm »

In the future, I'd like it if all the engaging forces can be listed before the fight is described.  Since our army compositions are secret unless we specifically list our forces in the open, it's hard to tell how many units are actually involved in the fight.  You did that for the second Kaiju, but not the first, though I gathered how many units total were engaged after reading through carefully.

After action analysis:

Spoiler: Australian Kaiju: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Malaysian Kaiju: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Conclusions drawn (click to show/hide)

((Oh, I'll be sharing my design for cheap combat jets next turn, once we can post boldtext.  They cost 200 and need a large workshop.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2019, 11:07:50 pm »

do note that a blueprint needs to go through a scientist for a turn at a 20 cost to make it useable for each faction.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2019, 11:26:47 pm »

In the future, I'd like it if all the engaging forces can be listed before the fight is described.  Since our army compositions are secret unless we specifically list our forces in the open, it's hard to tell how many units are actually involved in the fight.  You did that for the second Kaiju, but not the first, though I gathered how many units total were engaged after reading through carefully.

After action analysis:

Spoiler: Australian Kaiju: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Malaysian Kaiju: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Conclusions drawn (click to show/hide)

((Oh, I'll be sharing my design for cheap combat jets next turn, once we can post boldtext.  They cost 200 and need a large workshop.))

Thanks for the useful information this turn, if you want to get access to the black market goodies this turn I’ll post what they are, however for this kanji-turn the Coke Knights will be getting back a Artillery Gun, also finishing my “force field” research this turn, apparently it’s like an armor upgrade and can provide “short burst of energy to deflect attacks”, as well as investing my strategy into the long-term, I wanting a high-energy physics labs as running as soon as possible. Anyways, this means that any Black Market offers I get will need money for this turn, and then you can get your stuff next turn, or rather the battle phase.

As for the MRLS, man hundred additonal credits and a medium-size compared to the artillery gun, and yet it has weaker range?, all for the ability to have more mobility and a slight armor increase, maybe stronger firepower since rockets?, yeah that doesn’t seem worth it. I don’t know but can’t we purchase self-propelled guns (SPGs) and SPAs, for mobile artillery that was already developed back in WW2?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2019, 11:36:17 pm »

Arty pieces are self-propelled.  Just not very fast.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 23, 2019, 12:46:31 am »

MRLS do have better damage and speed than artillery, plus a little bit of armor, though I don't think that's mattered at all.  The range advantage of artillery hasn't seemed to be a major advantage yet so far, either, so they're closer than I probably make it sound.  Other advantages I haven't mentioned are that artillery can't be made cheaper by reverse-engineering them (I already tried that...), while MRLS probably can be, and MRLS are probably more efficient to upgrade with better explosives or whatever.  I am not certain, but I think most upgrades will basically be "increases the power of this unit by X%", without cost being changed by what you apply it to, so applying a +100% damage buff to an artillery is a terrible idea compared to spending it on an MRLS (which itself is terrible compared to spending it on a combat jet or modern tank...)

Also, a transport plane + full combat load of units + hangars is 400 credits if you're using arty, versus 550 if you're using MRLS, though that's not an entirely reasonable comparison to make, considering the plane and hangars are very likely to be reused, while the combat units are probably going to be vaporized.  Still, two MRLS are almost certainly a bit better than four artillery pieces, so if you've got cash to spare and a lack of transport capacity, the MRLS might be a good choice.

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in seeing what's available on the black market, and I'll probably have some cash to spare next turn, too.

Also, for any mad scientists reading, I'd be very interested in a batch of improved explosives that can be loaded into traditional weapons, like missiles and howitzers.  Specifically because I know this is a way to improve damage, but I have no data on how effective it is or how it works.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kaiju-Com 2, March Actions Fini.
« Reply #207 on: November 23, 2019, 01:03:32 am »

Spoiler: Naturegirl1999 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: King Zultan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Happerry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Piecewise (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Yottawhat (click to show/hide)

And with that, the action phase of March ends.  Purchase phase of april to begin soon.  (intel, black market sales, etcetera.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:33:58 am by Devastator »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-Com 2, March Actions Fini.
« Reply #208 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:05 am »

I think my fluff text had a copy paste error from the last spoiler. It's a direct copy of the last spoiler. So it looks like something got messed up, because last turn's spoiler should not be talking about the money I got and used this turn?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other then that, does anyone want to buy my 'Death Ray Truck. (Basic Disrupting Death Ray) Small.', which should now be upgraded to destroy the target's armor? If no one buys it I'm going to see about upgrading it with a force field so it's not as easily blown up as the laser technical was.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 23, 2019, 02:26:53 am »

Where are my kaiju genitals Egan. I am a man of special needs.

Apparently I'm able to fulfill this request. The question is if you're willing to do what it takes to acquire such a... valuable specimen.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44