Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44

Author Topic: Kaiju-com 2  (Read 55936 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-Com 2, May Actions
« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2020, 04:45:39 pm »

We could all order our transport ships to evacuate civilians while Happytimes does its thing.

That should be good press right?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2020, 04:53:20 pm »

I don't think any of us have any transport ships, and I believe our planes can only carry like a hundred people each.

But yeah, ordering people to not evacuate yet so we can evacuate them on live TV might be good press.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2020, 05:06:34 pm »

I don't think any of us have any transport ships, and I believe our planes can only carry like a hundred people each.

But yeah, ordering people to not evacuate yet so we can evacuate them on live TV might be good press.

You would call a heavily armed attack helicopter a gunship, so obviously a transport based helicopter is a transport ship.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2020, 05:09:45 pm »

...fair enough but I still feel like this isn't the cruise I signed up for.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 11, 2020, 09:29:09 pm »

This will be on temporary hiatus, as the battle of New York deserves more effort than something split across a few hours over a few days.  I'll update it sometime in March, when I have a few days off coming.

Thanks for playing!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 11, 2020, 09:39:38 pm »

You’re welcome. The game’s fun

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2020, 03:22:37 pm »

Give Tonk ERA armor.
Deploy Tonk and the 51804. Tonk should engage with no reservations, while infantry should avoid contact and try to help with evacuation.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-Com 2, Battle of New York
« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2020, 03:57:06 pm »

The battle of New York City.

The troops land at LaGuardia airport, which is usually slammed full of people, but several gates are moved and some fencing has been removed, with cop cars allowing the vehicles to be deployed properly on the city.  At this time, it still isn't certain exactly where the Kaiju will make landfall, but this more central location is considered a better spot to allow more freedom of movement.

Deploying are four infantry platoons.. one from each of Emerald Robin, the USSCCI, the Coke Knights, and Ares Defence.  There are four artillery pieces, one from Ares, two from Happytime Atrocities, and one from the USSCCI.  There are two obsolete T-55 tanks, each of which is modified, one from Emerald Robin with additional ERA armour added as a kit, and one from the Coke Knights surrounded by a shimmering force field.  Then there are a few special units, a Plymouth Barracuda turned assault car, with an odd hood-mounted weapon, from the USSCCI, a Modern Tank from Happytime Atrocities, and a distinctly frightening, hovering vehicle from Ares Defence, a bright red armoured truck with a huge bed-mounted cannon.  There is one proper air unit deployed by the kaiju-coms, an old combat jet from the USSCCI.

The city is extremely clogged with vehicles, heavy traffic even worse than normal, with vehicles strewn all about in varying states of abandonment.  Every unit that cannot fly will find it to take significantly longer to arrive at the destination.

After a few minutes of trying to make headway and clearing some ground on the roads, the Kaiju makes it's apperance.  It's coming ashore out of the Hudson river onto riverside park, heading for upper manhatten.  It'll land in the north side of Morningside Heights, near Harlem, a largely residential area filled with apartment buildings.

It's a huge, heavyset quadripedal beast with thick slabs of bony armour, a short thick neck, and a well-protected head.  As it climbs out, a truly monstrous screech erupts from it's jaws, shattering much glass and flattening trees in a vicinity around the beast, having an effect like bombs going off rather than normal sound.

The units, out of range, race at their best pace to get into the fight.  The infantry and the artillery pieces are extremely hampered by the vehicles, being slow at the best of times, and slowed further by the need to climb over everything.

The only units that can manage to engage right away are the souped-up high speed Barracuda, and the Death Ray Hovercar.  The Assault Fish is under orders to wait for close range, however, and has only entered maximum range.  The Death Ray Hovercar, on the other hand has no such restrictions and opens fire, mostly missing and only essentially scraping at the bony plates.  There is an intense rippling under the areas the death ray did hit, however.

Having been attacked but not hurt, the Kaiju continues to lay about the city around it, knocking down several buildings of comparable size to it with another roar, and staving in yet a third with it's massive, blocky tail.  Rubble is strewn everywhere, and chunks of building smash to the ground.

Over the next minute or so, more vehicles come into range.  Most of the artillery, save one of the Happytime pieces which had orders to spread out enter range.  So do the three tanks, the two T-55s and the Modern Tank.  First up are the Death Ray Hovercar, having already engaged, followed by the Assault Fish.  The hovercar swings around some more buildings, and hits it with a good extended shot in the flank.  It almost looks like there is no effect, but in the end, some blood is drawn an a black stain erupts in the blue side of the creature, fighting the intense rippling effect.  The assault fish closes to very close range, and charges up it's own sonic cannon, but is surprised when the creature rears up under the assault from the Death Ray Hovercar, causing the burst to go short and merely smash yet another building that was supposed to be protected by the bulk of the Kaiju's body.  Hopefully that won't end up on the news.

The artillery fire is mostly to no effect, either missed shots, shots not taken or hits shrugged off by the heavy armour.  The three tanks, just reaching range at the same time, shoot mostly simultaneously too.  Camera footage shows the superior rounds of the Modern Tank are the only shots to do serious damage.

The Kaiju, angered now, takes out it's efforts on its attackers.  Knowing of the capabilities for multiple targets, it goes after the cluster of tanks with a long-ranged directed scream that smashes into the three vehicles like some kinda metal-shredding bomb.

The T-55 from Emerald Robin is tossed about and flipped.  It's smashed, but not too badly.  The force fields on the other T-55 soak up some of the hit, but it's still badly rocked, and obviously damaged as parts of it's armour are torn up and partially removed, and at least one of the hatches is warped.  The more modern armour of the Happytime Atrocities modern tank manages to weather the assault mostly unscathed.

That said, the Kaiju is now up and running, moving much quicker than anticipated, and it leaps with an unexpected grace and charges down the Assault Barracuda.  Fleeing at high speed, the vehicle isn't quite capable of getting out of the way, and is kicked by a leg and smashed into rubble, out of the fight.

The surviving tanks split up so as to not provide as much of a target, as do the Artillery Pieces, which perhaps were lucky to not land a shot last round, as three extremely vulnerable mobile artillery pieces would have made an extremely fine target, them being capable of surviving far less punishment than the tanks.  The USSCCI Jet enters the fight as well, having waited for some other targets to draw fire from the Kaiju.

First up is the Death Ray Hovercar, which fires an extremely heavy beam of concentrated pain this turn, hitting the kaiju with nearly all of it.  Astonishingly, it seems to still vanish into the bulk of the beast, somehow not managing to deal effective damage this time.

The T-55 can't shoot this round, being blocked by buildings, and most of the artillery fires to little effect, save the piece from the USSCCI, which manages a solid shot and succeeds where the hovercar did not.  The Happytime Modern Tank again fires and again hits, once more dealing damage.

Annoyed at the Happytime Tank, the Kaiju means to smash it.  This time the tank driver manages to take cover behind a building, leaving the Kaiju no clear shot.. but that doesn't matter to the Kaiju, who instead destroys the offending building with a roar.  It then attempts to close range and charge the tank, but stumbles upon some of the debris and only manages to close the range some.  Unfortunately, the jet wasn't able to get a shot at this time, having been lining up in the wrong direction in the crowded low-altitude airspace.

The fight continues with the kaiju visibly healing from the skin-rippling effect.  Surprisingly, facing all the enemy attacks, and a very potent volley of missiles from the USSCCI Jet, no damage is done... it's one tough beast.  In response, the beast goes after the most painful vehicle in range, the Death Ray Hovercar, and strikes it from the sky with another bomb-like roar.  The vehicle collapses to the ground, whatever hover-mechanisms it uses broken, and the fixed-mount death ray useless.  It then turns to continue charging the HA tank, but this time the tank retreats over already flattened civilian vehicles and can make a better turn of speed, holding the range open from the now slightly slowed Kaiju.

The Navy Jets then arrive at this point.. three Modern Jets, making an attack pass on the dragon.

Two of the three salvos are noticeably off-target once launched.  You think they're headed for a near-miss, but at the last moment several missiles abort as indicated by their terminal guidance systems.  Some of the missiles head off and self-destruct, but some more head back to hit the Kaiju from behind.  Some damage is done, there were a few hits.  Hardly fatal, but it adds up.

..However, it is immediately noticeable that the rippling skin effect has ceased.

At this time, the Infantry has finally entered the fight, struggling over the clogged streets.  The Kaiju's rippling skin effect begins again, but it missed a good minute or two of healing.  And one of the Navy Jets sticks around for a second pass, while the other two disengage.  Three more are visible in the far distance, and will engage next turn.

The next successful hit made is from the surviving T-55, followed by a risky shot from one of Happytime Atrocities artillery piece.  Both deal damage, clearly having an easier time now that the bony armour is weakened noticeably, with blood on the ground.  The next big shot is from the USSCCI Jet, who nails a blow to the back with those missiles, with the enhanced warheads making the difference, the second explosion causing the beast to cry out and respond.

..however, said response is quick and brutal, with a loud roar causing the plane to tumble in the sky, shedding metallic scraps and leaking fuel, as the pilot desperately attempts to control the descent, managing to miraculously succeed and guide it to a crash landing on a lake in Central Park, fetching up on the shoreline.  By this point, however, the creature is largely too hurt to attack effectively in melee, and is stumbling around wounded.  The Navy Jet then takes it second pass, and hurts the creature further, but leaves it alive for the infantry to hopefully finish it off.

..After much fire they do manage a killing blow.  The USSCCI infantry platoon manage to just finish it off at the end.

Congratulations.  The Battle of New York has been won.  A good swathe of the city has been destoyed, including parts of Columbia University, but the city is still largely intact.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:19:53 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2020, 06:31:16 pm »

Stirk Do you want your troops to put down the deathwagon, or to haul it back to your base?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 20, 2020, 06:45:13 pm »

Lets bring it back. Forgo repairs until we upgrade defenses. Hopefully it can't go on any rampage of note until someone fixes it, giving us the perfect opportunity to keep it chained up.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 20, 2020, 07:31:46 pm »

Post-battle summary, mostly for bookkeeping.  Not ready for orders yet.

Spoiler: Stirk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Egan_BW (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shadowclaw777 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: IronyOwl (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Syvarris (click to show/hide)

Mad scientists and the next month introduction to follow tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:38:45 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-Com 2, June Purchases
« Reply #356 on: March 21, 2020, 10:43:26 pm »

The next Kaiju attack is heading towards the Pacific coast of South America.

One lead scientist is available for bid.

Spoiler: Black Market (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stirk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Egan_BW (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shadowclaw777 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: IronyOwl (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Syvarris (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: King Zultan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Piecewise (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Naturegirl1999 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Happerry (click to show/hide)

It is, at last, the Purchases Phase of June, 1999.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:13:57 am by Devastator »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 21, 2020, 10:50:07 pm »

Send Waspra to ADD

“Let’s go outside. There’s a place where people will help you hunt creatures thousands of times larger than yourself”
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:42:00 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 21, 2020, 11:56:02 pm »

1999 Bizarre Summer ~

Spoiler: TLDR: (click to show/hide)

ADD Memo For Public Release:

Security upgrades are being considered after the last mad-scientist investment project escaped despite being heavily damaged during the successful deployment in New York. Despite the damage it has taken, it should be considered armed and extremely dangerous. It hungers for the blood of the innocent and will likely go on a rampage unless stopped. Fortunately ADD has come up with our patented Van Hellsing (TM) anti-air countermeasures for your home, office, and government facilities. We'll lock down your airspace from truck-based threats for 75% of the price of leading competitors!

The Jaeger project continues as scheduled, with the plans finishing 5 months from now. Our hand-held nuclear weapons research progresses as normal.

We will be investing up to 300 Money Units into purchasing any currently deployable Mad-Scientist combat unit
to replace the loss of the truck as our force addition. Our security has been significantly upgraded to prevent repeats of the last incident. As we do not know the current progress of any project, we expect potential scientists to come to us with offers. If we do not find any buyers during this month our funds will instead be spent on conventional air units.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 22, 2020, 12:53:45 am »

Hrm.  A couple thoughts, after chatting with Dev a bit.

Shadowclaw, I noticed you fielded a forcefield-armored tank.  Is your design adaptable enough that it could protect other units?  I think it'd be immensely effective to make a small-size unit with a forcefield projecter that can be used on other units in a supportive fashion.  Since the unit wouldn't attack on its own, Kaiju shouldn't target it, leaving it only in danger from AoEs.  It'd be fairly survivable, snowball well since smalls are cheap to hold and field, and synergize with pretty much any unit we expect to get shot at.

Stirk, as a reminder, I can produce combat jets for less than half the price of those in the armory.  I can also produce air transports for a lesser discount, though I'm unlikely to do so right now because I have both a good bit of money and only two large workshops.  Also, I am willing to share my designs, though they'll take research time to reverse engineer and I do plan to improve them.

Everyone, the infantry missiles in the black market are pretty meh.  They'd be kinda nice to have if we meet a flying Kaiju, but won't be particularly impactful.   They're cheap, so someone might as well grab them, but they're not worth researching.  The next-gen tank, however, might be great if you can afford it.  Though I'd appreciate it if you invested in my airforce production abilities instead, I promise to make lots of cool planes for you.

Also, I have two more broken T-55s sitting on my base.  They cost 10 to repair.  I may or may not need to get rid of them, but I'm willing to give them away for free to anybody who can take them.  If any mad scientists want one, I'll even repair it, free of charge, though you'll have to wait until the deploy phase for me to send it.  Repairs take time.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44