Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44

Author Topic: Kaiju-com 2  (Read 55729 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kaiju-Com 2, Battle of Chiclayo.
« Reply #435 on: April 28, 2020, 05:28:58 am »

Battle of Chiclayo, Peru.

As the aircraft approach Chiclayo, they are forced to delay for longer than desired due to a steady stream of evacuation flights, with planes backed up landing and taking off trying to rescue people.  The city does look fairly dramatic, with only a few buildings on the beach and starkly irrigated fields in the desert, with most of the city a good ways inland.  You can identify some of the militia from here, with a small handful of trucks and maybe fifty people lined up along the beach.

Eventually, you do get down, after applying pressure that would have caused an internation incident in a less dire situation.  You aren't able to deploy until well after the kaiju comes out of the water, and engages the militia.

This kaiju is an enormous wolf, although it's blue and naked, with the standard kaiju thick blue skin.  It doesn't look right, as dogs should have fur.  On it's back is a missile launcher, vaguely similar to the lobster one from Australia.  In addition to that, it can launch bright neon-colored lasers from it's eyes, and they just seem to delete stuff.  Unprecedented, you see a third weapon being used; the Kaiju opens its mouth and there is a huge splash of what looks to be bullet effects hitting nearby sand and buildings.  After action cameras will reveal this weapon to be a swarm of high speed metal shards hitting an area. A shardstorm.

Anyway, the militia can't handle that much damage and are mostly wiped from the board in a shower of metal bullets, explosions, and laser beams.

Eventually, the troops are moving, and the kaiju is moving inland towards the city.  The range is somewhat close, causing the jets to open the distance to try for a safe chance to get their missiles away, while the tanks, the artillery, and most of the infantry charge the enemy.  Waspra happily buzzes away towards the giant monster, looking ready to engage despite the disparity in sizes.

Before they can shoot, however, there is a surprise.  This kaiju isn't attacking the city first, waiting to be struck.  This kaiju is attacking the defending military units first.

With that, the tank units are attacked.  A missile streaks out towards the Coke Knight's modern tank.  The tank, already encased in a rippling force-field, is further surrounded by a giant explosion of flame from a direct hit.  The shield almost holds, but is collapsed as the explosion drags on, and although you cannot see everything, the tank is knocked 90 degrees out of line and the turret and treads are fused stuck from the intense heat.  The tank was knocked out, but should be recoverable.

The laser eyes strike at a second tank.  This time, it's hitting Happytime Atrocities' brand new Challenger II.  In the words of Dwarf Fortress, "It is pierced through entirely."  There is a jet of explosives from the active armour, but in the end the eyes cut completely through the tank, from one end to the other.  The hole is clean, however, and it also should be recoverable.

The shardstorm attack also hits the tanks, as if they're deliberately being prioritized.  This one aims at happytime's normal modern tank, hitting both T-55s at the end of it.  Two are knocked out with the hail of large-caliber bullets, Happytime's modern tank just barely, and Emerald Robin's T-55 more significantly, and the Coke Knights T-55 lives.

That's.. a significant advantage after the opening strike.  The k-com units were outranged and the kaiju, targetting military forces first, was able to use the relatively slow deployment to get first strike on the tank force.

The jets are still flying, and they will enter range in two more turns, lining up for an attack that minimizes their chances of getting hit before unloading.  Two infantry units are closing, as is Waspra, and the assault fish, and the artillery piece with the surviving T-55.  The tank and the artillery return fire, doing little damage as the shots bounce off the thick blue skin.

On the next round, the kaiju attacks the CK force-fielded T-55 with all three weapons.  It does survive some of the oncoming fire, but cannot handle the full alpha strike and is blown to smithereens.

Waspra, the sonic-armed Plymouth Barracuda, and the USSCCI artillery shoot back.  The artillery bounces, the barracuda closes to close range and the sonic weapon is resisted, but only with great effort from the kaiju, skin rippling for several long moments after the blast has ended.

And Waspra, well, waspra manages to sting the giant beast, drawing first blood and dealing at least some damage to the creature.

In retaliation the kaiju hits it with a pair of laser eyes and a shardstorm.  The eyes punch through the upper body, killing the creature, and the shardstorm mostly shreds the mess.  The missile launcher goes for the assault car, which manages to get some cover and only takes a glancing blow.  It's enough to knock out the lightly-armoured vehicle anyway, but it should be fixable once more.

At that, the Jets have finally re-entered range, and the wing of three attack the kaiju from multiple directions.  It's hit heavily, including one missile that catches it off-balance and physically knocks the massive creature down.  When it gets back up, you can see the skin rippling effect, so common with recent kaiju, has been disabled, and the wounds aren't healing.

..still, it is so big, larger than the other kaiju so far, that the wounds seem relatively small.

The kaiju's return fire drops one of the jets with a missile, and begins working on the infantry, causing casulties and damage but not enough to wipe them out.  They fight back furiously, scoring another hit from the USSCCI rockets.  This is followed up by a blow from one of the jets.

Still, it's not enough.  The kaiju drops a second jet with a shardstorm, and continues piling on the damage, largely ending the battle when the following jet salvo fails to penetrate the tough skin, and the damaged regeneration kicking in once more.

The rest is cleanup.  The final jet from the USSCCI retreats after it runs out of ammo, barely dodging a blast from laser eyes, and the Emerald Robin's infantry unit which had orders not to engage, are the only survivors.  The kaiju proceeds to the city and begins to smash.  Stomping with its feet, slamming into buildings, and firing away with its weapons.

Although much of the population was warned and was able to evacuate, a minimum of tens of thousands are dead, in the space of a few hours, because of your failure to stop it.  The Emerald Robin infantry can basically force their way through the fleeing crowds, so they're able to survive, but there is little point to personal heroics when the kaiju is still smashing away.

At least there is some reassurance.  To date, every kaiju that has won a battle simply retreats to the sea in the evening, instead of, perhaps attacking more cities.  Its survivors mostly hope that this pattern will hold true.

Several hours later, as the sun is setting, the kaiju simply returns to the sea, victorious.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:19:40 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kaiju-Com 2, July Purchases
« Reply #436 on: April 30, 2020, 02:45:58 am »

There are two lead scientists available this month.  The council informs you that the next Kaiju is expected to attack somewhere in the Carribean, or the north coast of South America, or maybe the Gulf of Mexico.

The black market has a few offerings.
Spoiler: Black Market (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stirk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Syvarris (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: IronyOwl (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Egan_BW (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shadowclaw777 (click to show/hide)

MSes to come soon.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:25:47 am by Devastator »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiju-Com 2, July Purchases
« Reply #437 on: April 30, 2020, 03:29:04 am »

ADD Memo for Public Release

The Mad Scientist Sponsorship program will continue after moderate success of our continued purchases. Offers will go up to 400 for any Project capable of being deployed during the next Kaiju attack, please make the offer at our specialized phone-line or email account attached to the end of this memo.

Our development projects have been continuing at a steady rate. The Jeager project is expected to complete in four (4) months. It will theoretically be deployed and spread to the other organizations during this time, the infrastructure necessary for their creation will go into production near the projects completion to reduce overhead. Barring excessive expenditure in the MSS program, ADD plans to begin the New Warrior line of projects. Infantry has been a specialty of ours since day one. The NWP will insure that infantry stays relevant even as we await the completion of our man-portable-nuclear weapon project, with a new lab breaking ground this month. The first phase will involve creation of a simple exoskeleton, allowing our men to have greater mobility, carrying capacity, and survivability on the modern battlefield. The next phase will equip them with heavier weaponry, which they will be capable of utilizing thanks to the exoskeleton. Utility upgrades will be considered to insure that they are useful even in the era of the Jeagers, including equipment not directly involved in combat. Most of the results from this project will be shared with other organizations upon request. Unlike our other projects, this will be focused on quick incremental upgrades that will later be upgraded themselves. We expect this project to bear fruits comparatively quickly. An example road map is as follows:

Exoskeleton -> Anti-Regeneration Flamethrowers -> Field Repair Kits -> Exoskeleton Upgrade (Powered-Armor) -> High-Caliber Autocannon -> Spotlight Blinders

It is also our hope that increasing the capabilities of our infantry will allow the Nuclear Arms project to progress faster and faster, as our tolerances for what become "man portable" rises higher and higher. We hope these exciting new possibilities come into fruition soon.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 01, 2020, 02:28:14 am »

Spoiler: Naturegirl1999 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NJW2000 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Happerry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: King Zultan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Piecewise (click to show/hide)

It is now the purchase phase of July, 1999.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 01, 2020, 07:32:49 am »

"Damn it he destroyed my trailer super secret command chamber, did he not realize what a pain in the ass it was to steal that one from a construction site build the one I had now I have get a new one, this is slowing down my progress!"
Rebuild the command chamber, and focus all efforts on improving the control and increasing intelligence of people under the influence of the super strength drug.

((What does +1 strike mean is that because it got out or because it wrecked my shit?))
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 01, 2020, 07:47:34 am »

Upgrade Medium Lab Zone to Large Lab Zone for 100
Buy Communications Chamber for 200
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:56:16 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 01, 2020, 05:55:55 pm »

I'm afraid only one building, Naturegirl.  The large lab?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 01, 2020, 06:55:46 pm »

I'm afraid only one building, Naturegirl.  The large lab?
yes, will delete other building. Sorry

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 02, 2020, 03:27:12 am »

Not an action post.  I don't have nearly enough funds to repair all my stuff and construct even a single jet, so I'm offering to construct jets for people at-cost.  200 each.  I can't actually send you the newly made jets, I don't believe, but I have two surviving jets, so I can send those instead, while keeping the newly-constructed ones.  The old ones are better, anyway.

I also still have a T-55 for sale!  It's not terribly great, but hey, it's a cheap tank.  It'd make for a good unit for an MS to modify, and failing that it can fill out some transport space for an org.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 02, 2020, 05:42:25 pm »

I have wonderful news and not so wonderful news!

Wonderful news: My Giant (Large+2) Aquatic-Only Hangars have been researched. They cost 50 credits and take 1 turn to produce. I realize nobody else is interested in boats at this time, but if you gain a taste at some point I can share the plans.

Not So Wonderful News: I'm broke and my wasps are terrifying. They are infantry-slow, short-ranged, and very fragile. However, they absolutely obliterate anything they get within range of. They're also expensive to maintain but auto-replenish themselves if destroyed in combat. Very strange critters all around! I'll be deploying them instead of a tank this battle.

Shadowclaw: You can send me the sub now, the facilities for it will be complete by the time it arrives. I'd like to pay you for it but I'm flat broke right now, so it'll take me a bit. I can also give you bits or something if you'd prefer.

Mad Scientists: I'm now officially in the market for upgrades to my beautiful shitty obsolete Russian submarine! Little strapped for cash this turn, but my terrible slow boat won't arrive until next turn anyway. I have some ideas for what I'd like done to it, but I'm also open to suggestions!

syv: I'm gonna need at least one air transport at some point. Any interest in building that for me sometime in the next two turns?

July Purchases and Orders
Build Giant Aquatic-Only Hangar (-50)
Build Internal Checkpoints (-100)
Send 95 Credits to naturegirl for lab upgrades (-95)
Send Kaiju Heart to Emerald Robin (-Kaiju Heart)
Buy Kaiju Muscle from USSCCI for 10 (-10)
Scientist 1: Process Kaiju Acid Gland (-Kaiju Acid Gland)
Scientist 2: Process Kaiju Skin (-Kaiju Skin)
Scientist 2: Process Kaiju Guts, send results to Coke Knights (-Kaiju Guts, -resulting bits)
Scientist 3: Research Giant Laboratories (-20)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 02:23:39 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 03, 2020, 03:50:13 am »

I'll probably wait 2 turns for the improved version, then. I can't afford it this turn anyway, so I can get it next turn or wait a turn after that for a better product.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: May 03, 2020, 05:53:49 am »

With his Agent's Lair finished, Lord Silver knows just what to do. With the ending of the age of super-villainy, well, unless it turns out the giant monster thing is a super-villain thing in which case Lord Silver will tip his hat to whomever is doing it before feeding them to the laser squid, many of Lord Silver's old minions from the days of E.vil V.iolent E.xtreme L.ords, EVIL for short, have had trouble finding work and jobs in the economy. Lucky for them, Lord Silver is on the phone to his old evil minions letting them know about a new job opportunity open right now! He'll even dig some of the old shield cannons and laser rifles, maybe even a left over Arc Rifle, out of EVIL's not yet looted storage facility for them to use!

With that settled, Lord Silver turns to considering the suprise tank someone was nice enough to give him. Ah, the evil and chaos he could have done with it back in the old days of EVIL... well, no use thinking about what could have beens, especially considering he never got his time machine working. Though speaking of time machines, that gives him an idea!

Lord Silver will upgrade the tank with a Time Rewinder, so that when the tank is, as is inavertible, destroyed, once the wreckage is brought back to the base of whomever currently has the tank, the tank's personal timeline can be rewound, undestroying it and rendering it ready to be deployed again!

Lord Silver was going to work on upgrades for that intriguing giant submarine, but if he has a tank, he should make it properly evil before sending it on to cause havoc and random destruction in the course of preventing those vile, cruel, and despicable giant monsters from rampaging across the cities and reducing them to a burning pile of rubble. After all, that's Lord Silver's job.

(I was gonna see if I could get some gravity-implosion warhead cruise missiles, but I guess I should work on the tank if someone's gonna give me a tank.)
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 03, 2020, 01:39:50 pm »

You build an agent's lair.  You take some efforts to make certain it's seperate from the rest of your base, so you can maintain your privacy.  How do you equip the room, and what sort of agent do you find to fill it?

If recruiting agents will drain funds each turn, then don't do it.

Otherwise, Claudia will train some of the local intelligent man-sized apes that live in the mountains around her base to wield small arms and cut up Kaiju-bits. Of course, most governments and academic institutions deny the existence of these white, long-haired monkeys, but such organisations clearly don't employ enough chaos mathematicians. Or if that fails, just whoever's looking for a job in the Andes.

If Claudia still has any time left after the above, she will focus on increasing the range of the fog machine. I.e. making it able to maker a larger area foggy.

Quote from: Memo: Claudia Day to K-Orgs

The recent Kaiju attack on Chiclayo clearly called for camouflage and concealment in combat. The failure to disguise artillery even a little led to it taking damage early in the fight, while closer-ranged units were targeted before they could engage. The mathematics of chaos theory clearly indicate that the aspects of these creature's behaviour that led to this will be more and more common in the creatures we face. This is why I am developing a device capable of hiding military units in thick clouds of fog. At present, this device is rather weak, but could certainly be strengthened through the judicious application of Kaiju tissue.

I am not currently looking to sell the device, but would be willing to make an exclusive offer to any organisation or individual who assisted me through donations of Kaiju tissue, once the machine is functioning satisfactorily.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:25:51 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 03, 2020, 03:22:55 pm »

If recruiting agents will drain funds each turn, then don't do it.
Nah, just asking for flavor reasons.  It also doesn't take more time, I'm assuming the time taken was spent when building the structure.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:26:00 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44