Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Introducing DF to my sister  (Read 2527 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Introducing DF to my sister
« on: August 28, 2019, 05:36:10 pm »

I was playing Dwarf fortress when my 8 year old sister came in and started watching me, after a few minutes she asked if you could teach me, I initially refused due to the shear learning cliff of the game, but thought better of it and decided to give her a need-to-know basis on the information.
The results were glorious.
A complete mishmash of beds (Which were right next to the entrance) Channeling when there was perfectly good wall to dig into, refusal to build indoor farms ("Why would I farm underground?")
I plan to keep teaching her and seeing what glorious story I get from it.
Stay tuned
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing DF to my sister
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 05:54:38 pm »

Why would you farm underground? All the best plants are upstairs, in my opinion. Good going, sister, your intuition will serve you well.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 06:18:20 pm »

Once I started up a fresh world, fresh fortress, and let an eight-year-old tell me how to play: what to put where, when to do what, etc.

The resulting flaming bloodbath was a beautiful sight to see.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 07:13:56 pm »

She'll stop losing dwarves to thirst and starvation and start losing them to werecreatures and goblin ambushers any day now. They grow up so fast :'(
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 07:45:07 pm »

She's gotten a general stockpile up and her animals pastured.
Right now I'm debating whether to slowly introduce her to new mechanics or let her decide what she should do
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 08:30:04 pm »

I think she'd probably have more fun learning things on her own, but then again you certainly know your own sister better than I do. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 01:57:31 am »

I'd suggest turn off invasions by now and let her enjoy the day to day living. Dwarves can survive from fishing, hunting and gathering fruits, ¡Build windmills and taverns and have a laugh!

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 05:52:47 pm »

She's dug into a side of a mountain to get stone and to breach a wall of water "Just to see what happens" She also made a kiln aboveground right next to the wagon, only to be disappointed when she found out that you can get clay from sandy clay floor.
GENERATION 30:

adseaghtrnjty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 02:18:00 am »

It doesn't feel appropriate. My first experience in dwarf fortress was watching someone gouge out the eyes of a troll and slowly kill it. It's not uncommon to hear of fallen soldiers' heads to be put onto pikes, people dying of starvation and dehydration, and people being trapped and being killed while they can do nothing.

Hopefully, nothing bad will happen.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 05:39:32 am »

Why would you farm underground? All the best plants are upstairs, in my opinion. Good going, sister, your intuition will serve you well.
Best plants is underground. Pigtail - threads, paper and alcohol. Plump helmet - grow fast, edible raw, cookable and brewable.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 01:02:55 pm »

¿Did she had her first artifact already? ¿Like a crazy wool cap with jewels or a silly obsidian doorknob? ¿Any marriages or a gold  vein to craft into toys?

¿What are the developments in this sister-meets-DF story?