Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cages/Butchering/Wild Animals  (Read 4379 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Cages/Butchering/Wild Animals
« on: September 13, 2019, 05:14:31 am »

So I caught some wild animals into cages. I don't feel like taming them yet. Is there a way for me to throw all of them into one cage or just butcher them without training them?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

ulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cages/Butchering/Wild Animals
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:18:38 am »

Butchering them should be easy - just go to the z -> animals and look at the bottom of the list. Then press b to mark for butchering.
You can also put them into a single cage if you build the cage first, and then assign them to it.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:20:49 am »

Note that you can only butcher tame animals. So do it like snow dwarf said but assign a trainer first. This trains the trainers (heh) and as soon as the animals are (semi-wild) they will be brought to the butcher.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 07:40:43 am »

You can release* them in a closed area and then have your military kill them. The carcasses should be automatically** put in the butchering queue.

*I'm not sure if you can assign wild animals in pastures but you can always do the following:
  • Build one of the cages in said area
  • transfer all animals in that cage
  • connect the cage to a lever
  • when ready use said lever to release them

** Assuming there is a butcher's workshop nearby or a refuse stockpile, that can receive said carcasses, near one butcher's workshop. There is a range limitation for this AFAIK.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:43:50 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:38:26 am »

They must be trained before you can move lead them into another cage or lead them to the slaughter at the butcher's shop... and this involves some micro-management.

If they are more peaceful animals, you might be able to use your military to butcher them without giving your dwarfs unhappy thoughts (the primary objective is to avoid anything that will make dwarfs less happy, and the act of being attacked or seeing an ally attacked will make dwarfs less happy). Even predators such cave crocodiles will instantly go into a state of terror when confronted by a dozen active military dwarfs and animals in terror will not upset your dwarfs, so if you put a barracks, a caged-animal stockpile, and a pasture in one room, and a dwarf attempts to pasture an untrained animal while a large bunch of dwarfs are training, there will be an explosion of blood and then the butcher's shop in the next room will be busy. This is theoretical, I use the "train a bunch of them and then butcher them method...

Don't try this with giant cave spiders....
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 11:05:35 am »

Hmm. Currently my dwarfs don't seem to want to put anything, even trained (stray dogs and cats) things, into a cage I built. Any troubleshooting tips? By the way. Thank you for the response. It solves my problem. Basically. Train and then immediately butcher or put in a cage. But yeah... Putting things into cages?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 11:43:28 am »

They must be trained before you can move lead them into another cage

No they don't. You can move them into a built cages as is, just like you can do with untrainable creatures (trolls,gorlak, animal men) or enemies (goblins).

Moving animals into a cage seems to be a very low priority job and it's done in a one-at-a-time fashion meaning that queueing a bunch of them to be move can take a while to be completed.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:04:08 pm »

You might not be able to butcher them directly, but there is plenty of different ways for you to kill them 100% safely. Get creative!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 04:27:06 pm »

They must be trained before you can move lead them into another cage

No they don't. You can move them into a built cages as is, just like you can do with untrainable creatures (trolls,gorlak, animal men) or enemies (goblins).

Moving animals into a cage seems to be a very low priority job and it's done in a one-at-a-time fashion meaning that queueing a bunch of them to be move can take a while to be completed.
Well, I will not disagree. I haven't done tried it recently and don't want to test it out. I preferred mass-pitting but that is currently risky.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 04:35:22 pm »

You want to butcher wild animals, eh?

Dig a pit running from the top of your fortress... to the bottom. The very bottom. Set up a couple butcher-shops, tanneries and appropriate stockpiles at the bottom... and hurl your butchering animals, still wild, down the pit.

Animals plummet into the depths of the earth, and explode on impact. The stray limbs are butchered individually, giving you a good deal more leather per critter than you'd otherwise get. More bang for your buck, and hilarious to watch!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 04:38:10 am »

I've been trying very hard and I'm fairly sure dwarf won't move untrained animals into cages. Although I do remember putting a cyclops into a cage a long while back, so I'm honestly not sure what's happening. Maybe smart animals (aka Trolls and beasts) can be moved into cages?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 07:44:24 am »

I've been trying very hard and I'm fairly sure dwarf won't move untrained animals into cages. Although I do remember putting a cyclops into a cage a long while back, so I'm honestly not sure what's happening. Maybe smart animals (aka Trolls and beasts) can be moved into cages?
Dorfs don't walk up to wild animals and drag them to cages. However, they are capable of moving captives in cages to different (built) cages (allowing you to free up cages by cramming all of the critters into a single cage). It should be noted that this transfer seems to be subject to the same issue as mass pitting is, i.e. occasional escapes a automatic follow on escapes.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:30 am »

I've been trying very hard and I'm fairly sure dwarf won't move untrained animals into cages.

Moving hostile critters requires both animal hauling and animal training labors be enabled on at least one dwarf. If no dwarves have both labors enabled, the animal will never be moved.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 09:16:20 am »

I've been trying very hard and I'm fairly sure dwarf won't move untrained animals into cages.

Moving hostile critters requires both animal hauling and animal training labors be enabled on at least one dwarf. If no dwarves have both labors enabled, the animal will never be moved.

Thank you.

I've been having second thoughts about my earlier statement. I have done it before with untameable animals, but I wasn't sure about the regular ones, yet my dwarves were refusing to move either of these, when I was testing it today.  Turning animal training on fixed it.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 08:31:46 pm »

Oh, this is what I've been looking for. Thank you.
Pages: [1] 2