Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dark Magi the Fourth (5/5 Players waitlist open)  (Read 4053 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Magi the Fourth (5/5 Players waitlist open)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 03:48:59 pm »

Prologue Turn 2

Aliss

You approach the skeleton first and you can feel it. You don't know exactly what you feel but something tells you that this is no ordinary skeleton...your suspicions are proven true seconds later.

McAbre

You are impatient, unwilling to deal with ancient skeletons jumping scaring you. You are a renowned man of science and will not be made the butt of some crass joke! Nonchalantly you go for the axe only to recieve a lightning quick slap across the cheek from said skeleton, who, as you look at it, has taken an upright sitting position. It silently regards you while slowly shaking its head as if one would at an impertinent child.

Then Marvio begins talking.

Marvio

If you consider this weather to be lovely you must be daft. Apprentices getting less promising with each cycle...

the voice clearly came from the skeleton, but you can't quite discern from where exactly?

Tessrym and Lee

Ignoring the skeleton you make for the tower.

After a short tour of exploration, Lee finds herself in the basement in front of an ancient door leading further downwards.

Tessrym meanwhile goes upwards finding an impossibly large library in a place where it could impossibly situated without it bulging out several dozen meters out of the tower. Ignoring the obvious breaches of common laws of physics, you search further and map out the rest of the tower.

The rooms are neatly labeled so its easy for you to figure out what each of the rooms do...or what you think they do at least. Curiously you find one room with your own name written on a small stone tablet on its door. Curious. Four others also have names...a sixth one has none. Inside of it you find a chainmail shirt on a stand, as well as a variety of mementos on a nearby table and what appears to be a jawbone...maybe it belongs to the skeleton down in the courtyard?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 04:01:33 pm »

"Um, excuse me. Are you Xan?"

The way the skeleton was talking without any form of trachea, tongue or... you know, jaw, was rather disturbing.

Whilst Aliss engaged the skeleton in conversation, she tried to subtly study the magic powering it. Maybe she can learn something more now that she was actually seeing an example in action.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 04:09:43 pm »

Xan? Ah that old bastard, no clue whatsoever happened to him. All a long time ago. I am Helfd...former...apprentice of this tower. Join the necromancers they said...you'll live for eternity they said...no one ever told me it might mean being stuck in a tower as a draugr.

he spread his arms out as if he expected a laugh, his left jawbone strangely unhinged as if in a white guffaw. This skeleton is clearly loopy.

Again you try to study it and now...you can almost see the strands of magic powering it...almost. What you can discern is that he is definetly tied to the tower and that a lot of magic went into it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 05:18:17 pm »

I guess this is for that skeleton outside. This is nice chainmail though.

After pondering a moment, Lee picks up the jawbone and heads back outside.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 07:50:46 pm »

"Yes well, weather's what you make of it, eh?" Marvio replied jovially. "In any event sorry to hear about your eternal damnation, always a rough gig. Any advice you could give aspiring, ah... apprentices, did you say? Would that make our tutor the tower or is it a rather more quality-focused term than that?"

Chat with the nice skellington.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 08:39:29 pm »

The Doctor smiled wide, he got what he wanted and had been correct about the skeleton. The strike was of no concern to him.

"Hypothesis confirmed. An interesting response to stimuli. Further investigation required.

Mr. Helfd, please tell me more. I am interested in the magic which can be found in this place, and in you. How can I learn to harness it?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 11:30:25 am »

Helfd stares blankly for a moment at the amount of questions. If he'd still had hair, he would have raised an eyebrow.

3rd Floor, room with the label on it. There you will learn it axe thief. It's the library. Be aware only one can access it at any given point in time, it will lock out everyone else for the next several hours or days...As for everything else, you are already in an assessment as to your own affinities.

he points at Aliss

That one, for example, has an affinity for the element of bone. You can tell by the way she stares at me as if she is trying to dissect a frog. She probably is already visualizing magic strands...probably some natural gift.
Ahem. As for the tower...it certainly has a will of its own and it will tutor you...sort of. I am just here to prevent you from doing any overly foolish mistakes and ensure you don't start to murder each other over paltry things. As for me, i was tutored by Xan...for a time.

As for advice. Don't go in the catacombs until you've actually learned some magic. Do not annoy the heap of stones in the first basement. Disassociate yourselves at all times from the flesh eating horse in the swamps, do not squander the wand granted to you by the master, do not presume to command me, never ask for gruel, never try and unravel the bindings of this tower...and thats all i can think about for the moment. Might have forgotten one or two hundred life-saving details but i am sure you can manage.

Lee arrives in time to hear most of the lecture, jawbone in hand.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 11:38:31 am »

Talking Skeleton then.

"This your's? Also, what's this about affinity." she asks as she holds up the jaw bone.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 11:55:36 am »

"Yes, the journal did mention affinities. Bone, and Blood. Void, Earth and Darkness too."

Aliss thought for a moment. Perhaps Helfd would allow her to examine him further, perhaps he can even impart some knowledge of his own about this Bone affinity. Best not to ask yet though, she should probably study this before broaching the subject.

"Wait, did you say wand? Where do we get our wands?"

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 12:03:30 pm »

McAbre gives the skeleton a resolute nod. "Thank you, sir. I appreciate your assistance. I'll head there now unless there is anything you are in need of in return for your guidance." If nothing else is needed, head to the library to Study. Linger long enough to hear of the wands.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:55:57 pm by Roboson »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 01:59:45 pm »

"Most helpful, thank you good sir!"

Take stock of the pantry and what cooking and eating utensils we might have.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 02:36:43 pm »

”Hmm, interesting that we already have designated rooms before stepping in, ah yes animated objects like towers we're always interesting to listen back in the Guild.”

Considering that I'm already in the tower, direct myself to the library post haste. See if I can find any tomes and grimories about general study and introduction to the magic of Blood.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:50:29 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 03:12:55 pm »

. . .

"What are they in such a hurry for?"

"Well Mr. Skeleton?"

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 06:12:44 pm »

Let me add one more suggestion...do not touch my stuff...especially not my body parts. In any case, affinities are nothing more than your natural inclinations. Your personal interest and natural skill-level in learning something. Just as you have one for asking inane questions, each of you might have affinities for certain elements of magic.

he turns around to Aliss

None of you get wands little girl. The master left ONE in his quarters towards the top of the tower. It is a one-time use item and should not be used lightly. And as for you Doctor, i might indeed have something you can do for me. Somewhere in this swamp should be the remains of an undead warrior. If you can bring it to me i'd be most grateful.

And again Fluttery One, the reason they are in a hurry is because the Library only admits a single person at a time locking the rest out. So you can get creative in gaining access before others do...

[6 v. 4] Despite Tessrym already being in the tower, McAbre proves to have seemingly inhuman agility as he arrives first in the library. With a shudder, the door falls closed behind him locking out everyone else.

[5] Arbre finds himself immersed in the unnaturally extensive library and soon enough is pouring over books concerning the Element of Blood. Dealing with the flesh and blood of bodies humane and inhumane, it deals also peripherally in poisons and venoms.

While Tessrym and Arbre rush for the library, Marvio ascends into the pantry. One which to his delight seems to be stocked with everything a cook could ever need to provide a varied diet to a hundred people for a month. The Kitchen itself, with adjoined Dining Room is well appointed and has implements both magical and mundane for cooking. At least Marvio thinks so, considering that half the items in the kitchen are beyond his understanding.

Dr.McArbre has gained an Affinity for Blood Magic

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 07:14:26 pm »

Tessrym bewildered by the rampant acceleration of the other scholar, shall see if that scrying facility actually works. He questioned on what implement it has, a scrying orb, a pagan religion black mirror?, or a font with “tainted” water, who knows what it could have.

Tessrym heads to the scrying room, and examines the place trying to how you would actually “scry” here and the general layout of it
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:07:01 pm by Shadowclaw777 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4