Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help digging a hole for my moat.  (Read 3388 times)

DatDing15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need help digging a hole for my moat.
« on: September 13, 2019, 02:32:54 pm »

Hello!

This my third fortress and I can say I am quite proud of myself. I survived 7 years so far and have a full squad stocked with different Weapon-Lords.

Here is the topic. I wanted to dig a moat with water in it. The water comes from a nearby river. However I screwed up and now I have a chunk of dirt left to dig. I stopped experimenting with three "disappeared" dwarfs now.

I inserted the direct link to a image below: (I hope I did it right)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do you guys and girls have any possible solutions?

Kind regards!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help digging a hole for my moat.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 04:05:23 pm »

If you just need that 3x5 area replaced with water, then you would channel it... first do the five tiles near the wall, then the five middle tiles, then the last 5 tiles. If that is not what you are trying to do... what are you trying to do and how did those dwarfs disappear?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

DatDing15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 08:08:18 am »

Thank you for your reply!

Well they don't disappear they drown. (disappear meant to be joke, that's why I put it in quotation marks)

I don't have any swimmers and until they reach my emergency exit (which is only five tiles away) they drown.

However I need to confess something embarrassing:
Today the winter was nearly over. And with winter comes ice. I am an idiot. This god damn unfinished moat was already 5 to 6 winters there and only now a few hours AFTER I post this topic, my brain registered what could be done with ice. I basically just channeled while everything was frozen.

I really thank you for your time though!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:32:13 pm »

Just don't forget how dangerous ice and water is... but you get a chance to get the bodies into coffins now.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?