Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [47.04] Fishing Expanded v1.1  (Read 13799 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[47.04] Fishing Expanded v1.1
« on: September 13, 2019, 07:28:44 pm »

Download: [47.04] Fishing Expanded v1.1

artwork source

Welcome to Fishing Expanded!

This mod significantly expands fishing in Dwarf Fortress.

Currently, this mod:

> Adds 145 fish to the temperate freshwater biomes appearing at different seasons, times of day and rarities
> Adds 171 fish to the tropical freshwater biomes appearing at different seasons, times of day and rarities
> Adds 29 giant fish variants to the freshwater biomes
> Adds 31 amphibious fish person variants to the savage freshwater biomes (each fish person type favors certain personality traits, but all can be very single minded and generally don't thnk before acting)
> Adds 1 legendary fish to the freshwater biomes
> Changes all freshwater fish/fish-like creatures into vermin
> Makes all fish cookable live
> Makes fish visible in the water during gameplay
> Adds a fish processing workshop
> Adds reactions to construct aquariums from raw glass
> Adds fishing trophies (mounted fish bones) that can be placed on display furniture

Larger fish are more common in rivers and lakes. Small fish normally populate in pools and small formations of water.

Check out the Collector's Checklist! in the download file to record your fish collection!

I encourage any feedback, concerns or recommendations.

This mod is completely compatible with [47.04] Dog Breeds. Install this mod after Dog Breeds.

Spoiler: Changelog v1.0 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog v1.1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Future Plans (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:42:49 am by brolol.404 »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [44.12] Fishing Expanded v1.0
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:29:51 pm »

[reserved]

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:30:26 pm »

[reserved]

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 07:33:59 pm »

[reserved]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 02:18:06 pm »

There are poachers in the sturgeon reserves!

Happy to see a download finally!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 03:13:12 pm »

There are poachers in the sturgeon reserves!

Happy to see a download finally!

I would love to hear your feedback!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 11:51:02 am »

I am starting up on v2.0! Sharks, Dolphins and Whales!

I decided that I will only be adding sharks, dolphins, whales, porpoise and sea turtles (as creatures/not vermin) to v2.0 of the mod. I will also be changing all DF ocean fish/fish-like creatures into vermin (besides sharks, whales, other mammals and birds). All other ocean fish (vermin) will then be added to this mod in a future version (v3.0).

So, vanilla DF actually has a lot of sharks (15), but only 3 whales and no dolphins, porpoise or sea turtles. Also, vanilla DF has giant variants and animal person variants for the three whales, but none for any of the sharks.

Here is the list of vanilla DF sharks and whales:

Angelshark
Basking Shark
Black Tipped Reef Shark
Blue Shark
Bull Shark
Frill Shark
Great White Shark
Hammerhead Shark
Longfin Mako Shark
Nurse Shark
Shortfin Mako Shark
Tiger Shark
Whale Shark
White Tipped Reef Shark
Spotted Wobbeong

Sperm Whale
Orca
Narwhal

These are the new animals that I am planning on adding to v2.0:

Saw Shark
Thresher Shark
Blacktip Shark
Goblin Shark
Spiny Dogfish Shark
Sandtiger Shark
Zebra Shark
Bramble Shark
Whitetip Shark

Bottlenose Dolphin
River Dolphin
Striped Dolphin
Pink River Dolphin
White Sided Dolphin
Spotted Dolphin
Common Dolphin
Hourglass Dolphin
Humpback Dolphin

Humpback Whale
Blue Whale
Gray Whale
Pilot Whale
Right Whale
Fin Whale
Minke Whale
Beaked Whale
Bottlenose Whale
Sei Whale
Bowhead Whale
Beluga Whale

Harbour Porpoise
Speckled Porpoise
Finless Porpoise

Green Sea Turtle
Flatback Sea Turtle
Loggehead Sea Turtle
Hawksbill Sea Turtle
Leatherback Sea Turtle

I am planning on making giant variants and animal person variants to most of the creatures above (including the vanilla DF sharks). Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 12:53:19 pm »

Thoughts on sharks having the [PRONE_TO_RAGE:100] and [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] tags? While sharks arn't mindless killing machines in real life I think having great white sharks beserk killing machines would be kind of cool (and make for a good "shark pit trap"). Plus trying to keep dwarves out of the blood bath ¡fun! ocean is kind of funny lol

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 01:11:41 pm »

The selection of species for the v2.0 seems good to me. I was somewhat confused by the name "common dolphin", but that is not really something you can do anything about. I'm not too sure on the PRONE_TO_RAGE and OPPOSED_TO_LIFE tokens. Wouldn't sharks being large predators try to attack your dwarves/captive goblins either way?

I have a question about the mod in general as well. I just generated a world with this mod, and got the error message "[species_plural_name]: Null Pop Num" for a lot of the fishes. Is this the consequence of intentional work-around, or is it a bug?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 01:32:05 pm »

The selection of species for the v2.0 seems good to me. I was somewhat confused by the name "common dolphin", but that is not really something you can do anything about.
I was also unsure about adding a "common dolphin" but that is the name of an actual species. I can remove it though if it sounds too odd. Do you think I should take it out?

I'm not too sure on the PRONE_TO_RAGE and OPPOSED_TO_LIFE tokens. Wouldn't sharks being large predators try to attack your dwarves/captive goblins either way?
I could be wrong, but from my experience large predators don't always seem to attack smaller creatures. They seem to do it occasionally when the get really close and "are in the mood" lol

Beserk and opposed to life creatures seem to beeline to any living creature in their line of sight to kill it (could be odd to see a shark attacking a blue whale though)

I have a question about the mod in general as well. I just generated a world with this mod, and got the error message "[species_plural_name]: Null Pop Num" for a lot of the fishes. Is this the consequence of intentional work-around, or is it a bug?
I am not sure to be honest. I think (and I could be wrong) that the error Null Pop Num is saying that there are way too many fish being populated (thousands of fish per tile) and so after so many were populated, the game stopped populating more. This is just a guess though. It doesn't seem to affect anything and the mod seems to run fine as intended. If anyone has a better answer I'd be happy to fix it though.

EDIT: the other possibility for that error is that some of the rarer fish have a pop of 0:X per tile (so some are getting a 0 and therefore a "null pop" in game). This is just another guess though.

EDIT2: I wonder if OPPOSED_TO_LIFE and AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE can be used together to make sharks not hostile to other ocean animals and only dwarves, etc that fall in the water
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:42:30 pm by brolol.404 »

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 01:58:26 pm »

I'd be fine with prone to rage but not opposed to life.  That should still get you sharks that go into a frenzy once the blood starts actually flowing without going full Jaws Mode

Maybe save opposed to life for a megabeast/otherwise giant 'monster movie' version?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 03:22:35 pm »

I like that idea of just using prone to rage. This is the current list of sharks:

Subtype   DF/FE   Biome   Rarity   Giant Variant   Person Variant   Comments
Angelshark   Shark   DF   OCEAN_TROP   Rare         
Basking Shark   Shark   DF   OCEAN (ANY)   Uncommon   x   x   
Black Tipped Reef Shark    Shark   DF   OCEAN_TROP   Very Common         Very Fast, Prone to Rage: 10
Blue Shark   Shark   DF   OCEAN (ANY)   Uncommon   x   x   Strong, Tough, Prone to Rage: 30
Bull Shark   Shark   DF   OCEAN (ANY)   Common   x   x   Very Tough, Prone to Rage: 60
Frill Shark   Shark   DF   OCEAN_TROP   Very Rare   x   x   
Great White Shark    Shark   DF   OCEAN (ANY)   Uncommon   x   x   Very Strong, Tough, Prone to Rage: 60
Hammerhead Shark    Shark   DF   OCEAN (ANY)   Uncommon   x   x   Prone to Rage: 30
Longfin Mako Shark   Shark   DF   OCEAN_TROP   Common   x   x   Very Fast, Prone to Rage: 75
Nurse Shark   Shark   DF   OCEAN (ANY)   Uncommon         
Shortfin Mako Shark    Shark   DF   OCEAN_TROP   Common   x   x   Very Fast, Prone to Rage: 75
Tiger Shark   Shark   DF   OCEAN (ANY)   Common   x   x   Strong, Fast, Prone to Rage: 50
Whale Shark   Shark   DF   OCEAN (ANY)   Uncommon   x   x   
White Tipped Reef Shark    Shark   DF   OCEAN_TROP   Very Common         Very Fast, Prone to Rage: 10
Spotted Wobbeong   Shark    DF   OCEAN_TROP   Very Rare   x   x   
Saw Shark   Shark   FE   OCEAN (ANY)   Very Rare         
Thresher Shark   Shark   FE   OCEAN_TROP   Common   x   x   Strong, Fast, Prone to Rage: 40
Blacktip Shark   Shark   FE   OCEAN (ANY)   Common   x   x   Strong, Tough, Prone to Rage: 40
Goblin Shark    Shark   FE   OCEAN_TROP   Rare         
Spiny Dogfish Shark   Shark   FE   OCEAN_TROP   Very Rare         
Sandtiger Shark   Shark   FE   OCEAN_TROP   Rare         
Zebra Shark   Shark   FE   OCEAN_TROP   Very Rare         
Bramble Shark   Shark   FE   OCEAN_TROP   Very Rare         
Whitetip Shark    Shark   FE   OCEAN (ANY)   Common   x   x   Strong, Tough, Prone to Rage: 40

Thoughts?

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 03:26:23 pm »

I wouldn't give sharks OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, since I think they'd ignore undead and you'd have problems with sharks dying long before they met any dwarves simply because they picked enough fights with every other animal in the water.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:05:21 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 04:12:56 pm »

I wouldn't give sharks OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, since i think they'd ignore undead and you'd have problems with sharks dying long before they met any dwarves simply because they picked enough fights with every other animal in the water.

Yeah. Good points. I'm not going to add opposed to life and just use prone to rage.

These are the tags that I am going to add to all of the sharks (with unique values):

This is the Great White Shark tags.

Code: [Select]
[CARNIVORE]
[PRONE_TO_RAGE:60]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:1500:1600:1750:2100:2250:2350:2500]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:AGILIY:1150:1200:1300:1400:1500:1550:1600]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:TOUGHNESS:1500:1600:1700:1850:2000:2100:2200]
[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:ENDURANCE:1250:1200:1300:1400:1500:1550:1600]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:691:482:251:157:1900:2900] 35 mph max
[NATURAL_SKILL:SNEAK:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:15]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DISCIPLINE:10]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:5]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:5]
[PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:10:15]
[PERSONALITY:VIOLENT:75:90:100]
[PERSONALITY:SINGLEMINDED:75:90:100]
[PERSONALITY:THOUGHTLESSNESS:75:90:100]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 06:42:03 pm »

Alright, I gotta give this a go. Normally I despise aquatic life in DF because it just feels like it's one of those things you'll never interact with barring forts specifically geared towards dealing with sea life, and a food/material preference you'll almost never be able to fulfill.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4