Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working with trees  (Read 2735 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Working with trees
« on: September 14, 2019, 05:24:29 am »

Dwarves will have maple and birch syrup from live trees. Elves in e;ven fortress mode will can grow items on trees.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Working with trees
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 05:43:47 pm »

Modeling sap tree is a good idea, so that we could have lacquerware, maple syrup, rubber and others.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 04:12:49 am »

There have been a few ideas in this regard for tree sap.

Tree tapping using a tool (a spile) // This also has its own bibliography with much of the older examples.

But i would still like to see it come into play, Meph and Roses are currently prodding DFhack in the hopes of making a way to simulate sapling planting, by summoning a sapling over a workshop then having it automatically dissolve the building after the job is done.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:31:15 pm »

I believe wooden furniture degrades over time - extremely slowly, but still. A lacquer would be a cool addition for preventing this. Or the wooden degregation could be increased in collaboration with this feature.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:07:22 am »

I believe wooden furniture degrades over time - extremely slowly, but still. A lacquer would be a cool addition for preventing this.
There are plenty of real-world examples of wooden furniture, buildings, and ships that are hundreds of years old--which is far beyond the lifetime of the average fort, and thus hardly worth modeling. Lacquer would be a flavorful decoration, though.

Modeling sap tree is a good idea, so that we could have lacquerware, maple syrup, rubber and others.
Just FYI, the ratio of harvested maple sap::processed maple syrup is 24::1. So realistically, a full bucket of sap will yield only a small vial of syrup. Makes the Beekeeping industry look like a powerhouse of production in comparison.

Meph and Roses are currently prodding DFhack in the hopes of making a way to simulate sapling planting, by summoning a sapling over a workshop then having it automatically dissolve the building after the job is done.
Wow. Now that is one hell of an awkward, and creative, workaround. Naturally I'd assumed that the most efficient (not to mention intuitive) way would be to edit the raws to make tree nuts & fruits into plantable seeds, but apparently that's not a viable route. As for constructive feedback, I'll say that I don't think dwarves should develop silviculture on their own; that's a technology they should have to get secondhand, from humans or ideally elves.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 02:40:45 am »

I believe wooden furniture degrades over time - extremely slowly, but still. A lacquer would be a cool addition for preventing this. Or the wooden degregation could be increased in collaboration with this feature.

One of the lessons of Archcrystal is that wooden furniture does, indeed, degrade over time. The beds dissolved after about 450 years.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 05:14:10 am »

There are plenty of real-world examples of wooden furniture, buildings, and ships that are hundreds of years old--which is far beyond the lifetime of the average fort, and thus hardly worth modeling. Lacquer would be a flavorful decoration, though.

True - just flavor would be excellent. I was looking for a mechanical benefit as well, and the extremely long lifetime of wood seemed like a place that could be changed.

One of the lessons of Archcrystal is that wooden furniture does, indeed, degrade over time. The beds dissolved after about 450 years.

According to the wiki it should be 100 years/level of damage - 400 is the lifetime of a bed - well within the realm of Archcrystal.