Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: check clothing situation?  (Read 3485 times)

yiggdrasill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
check clothing situation?
« on: September 14, 2019, 06:28:48 am »

I know clothing rots and degrades, so how do I get an overview of the clothing situation in my fort so I know how much to replace?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: check clothing situation?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 06:37:04 am »

Create a clothing stockpile that only takes from your clothier's workshop (i.e., containing all your unworn clothing.) Whenever it's empty you need to make new clothes.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 12:09:59 pm »

my strategy was to check on a random dwarf's inventory and see what articles of clothing were worn. then i'd put in an order for maybe 20 of that item. maybe more, depending on the population.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 07:52:58 pm »

once i have a fabric industry running, and i've created at least basic shirt/pants/shoes for everyone, i set up "make 10 if there's less than 10" standing work orders for each type of garment in each of the fabrics i have good access to, and then let it go.  as long as i'm quick enough about trading/dumping worn-and-discarded garments (which seem to count towards that "less than 10" check, so if you don't get rid of them, your manager won't schedule new ones to be made?), and as long as i regularly buy enough trader fabric to supplement whatever i'm making locally, it mostly takes care of itself

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 04:31:50 am »

my strategy was to check on a random dwarf's inventory and see what articles of clothing were worn. then i'd put in an order for maybe 20 of that item. maybe more, depending on the population.
That's how I handle it atm too. I think if you knew which dwarf arrived when in your fort you could make a more certain assumption about the wear though:
If one of the starting seven drof's clothes are rotting I think that the other 6 might have the same problem?
That way you could tell for each wave when they get the first set of homemade clothes. But that may still be too unreliable.

I think at the moment there is no sure way to be efficient about it. Just produce stacks of 10-30 items each year and use
Bumber's method to see if you need replacement soon.
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 12:50:57 pm »

Save for papermaking purposes, all those pig tails and (if the bioma allows for it) extra plants and wool and silk hace no other use than clothesmaking.
Textile industry had little place in my previous forts, but right now morale and stress make textile workshops really important. To avoid rotting clothing bad thoughts and to keep boring (or unoccupied military) dwarves satisfied doing stuff.

Also, once the tailors become really good, it's just so satisfying to check people are dressing fancier than anayone in the continent.

For roleplaying purposes, ˇYou can't keep your people treading in the snow withiout warm wool clothes!

Sometimes I wish there were lots more of clothing pieces.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 02:30:04 pm »

Sometimes I wish there were lots more of clothing pieces.

why would you want that.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 06:32:53 am »

Save for papermaking purposes, all those pig tails and (if the bioma allows for it) extra plants and wool and silk hace no other use than clothesmaking.
Bruh, where do your bags come from?
Bags for the 500+ quarry bush leavs? sand bags? seed bags?
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 01:29:58 pm »

Bruh, where do your bags come from?
Bags for the 500+ quarry bush leavs? sand bags? seed bags?

If you don't overproduce stuff that uses bags you don't need an expanding bag supply and bags don't wear like clothes, or at least not at the same rate.  I'm seeing some slight wear in bags, but nothing like the wear in clothes.  If you don't use quarry bush and run the seedwatch plugin and use the manager to prevent overfilling of sandbags your bag needs are pretty much fixed. 

badiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 10:29:14 am »

if you use Dwarf Therapist

Windows --> Docks--->equipment overview

there you get exact numbers about your clothing situation, 25 tattered trousers, 6 socks with some wear and so on.

just check it ones a year and give the work orders
Camela Labaamu has become a Elf

"Yes Urist we said you can become whatever you want...but"