Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toad leather?  (Read 3605 times)

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toad leather?
« on: September 14, 2019, 11:11:21 am »

So my mayor has a preference for toad leather. Not giant toad leather or cave toad leather. Toad leather. Toads are vermin. Is this a bug or what?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Toad leather?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 12:09:38 pm »

Not a bug. Toad raws give them leather like most other non-reptile, non-insect creatures. The fact that you can't produce this leather makes no difference - dwarf preferences only check what exists, not what is actually obtainable.

It may be possible to order toad leather from the mountainhomes, if you need it to fill demands.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 02:31:13 pm »

I've seen dwarves with a preference for bird teeth before, this is nothing. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 03:30:39 pm »

I've seen cave fish leather arrive with the merchants and bumblebee brains. It is worth buying any vermin food types the merchants bring since there are dwarfs who want to eat it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 07:48:10 am »

It is, in my view, a bug for dorfs to have a preference for something that can never be produced. The bug is in the logic that only determines if the corresponding body parts exist (a humble criterion that isn't met by bird teeth [though I believe it actually does happen very occasionally in reality]), but fails to check whether they can actually be produced via butchery (or other processes, in the case of bumblebee mead). It is another bug, in my view, that caravans can sometime carry these impossible products (presumably because the selection logic for products doesn't check for whether they can actually be produced).
It is a third bug that dorfs can have preferences for creatures or plants that never have existed in the world (because the RNG didn't allocate them to any of the biomes in the world).

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 06:59:39 am »

It is a third bug that dorfs can have preferences for creatures or plants that never have existed in the world (because the RNG didn't allocate them to any of the biomes in the world).

I disagree here. In reality a lot of people find dragons or unicorns fascinating for whatever reason. Only because it is mundane in our world doesn't mean it is in their world and a parrot or a deer can be mythical creatures. I think the change here should be that they are more clearly declared as mythical.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 08:40:54 am »

I disagree here. In reality a lot of people find dragons or unicorns fascinating for whatever reason. Only because it is mundane in our world doesn't mean it is in their world and a parrot or a deer can be mythical creatures. I think the change here should be that they are more clearly declared as mythical.
How many grownups have you met that go into depression because the can't have that dragon/unicorn brain they're constantly dreaming of eating? Sure, when it comes to depictions I'm all for all kinds of mythological stuff, but when it comes to demanding the real deal under the threat of psychological trauma I rule it to be foul. Liking is fine. Demanding is not.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 01:32:40 am »

I gotta admit, a creepy bird creature with teeth would be a very interesting idea.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 08:23:28 am »

Quote from: PatrikLundell
How many grownups have you met that go into depression because the can't have that dragon/unicorn brain they're constantly dreaming of eating? Sure, when it comes to depictions I'm all for all kinds of mythological stuff, but when it comes to demanding the real deal under the threat of psychological trauma I rule it to be foul. Liking is fine. Demanding is not.

That's true.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 04:31:37 am »

I gotta admit, a creepy bird creature with teeth would be a very interesting idea.

= Raptor ? 
https://ark.gamepedia.com/Raptor#/media/File:ColorMutation_Raptor.jpg

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 05:10:58 pm »

= Raptor ? 
https://ark.gamepedia.com/Raptor#/media/File:ColorMutation_Raptor.jpg

You and the game you're quoting are misusing the term raptor.  Dinosaurs that resemble secretary birds are sometimes called raptors, but used without qualifier it refers to modern birds of prey. 

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 07:41:51 pm »

How many grownups have you met that go into depression because the can't have that dragon/unicorn brain they're constantly dreaming of eating?

"Unicorn horn" has a history as a highly desired commodity despite not actually existing:

https://www.history.com/news/unicorn-horns-royal-protection-poison-antidote

Even today there are doubtless "grownups" who believe in those old superstitions and get rather upset if unable to purchase/consume their "alternative medicine".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 03:27:32 am »

How many grownups have you met that go into depression because the can't have that dragon/unicorn brain they're constantly dreaming of eating?

"Unicorn horn" has a history as a highly desired commodity despite not actually existing:

https://www.history.com/news/unicorn-horns-royal-protection-poison-antidote

Even today there are doubtless "grownups" who believe in those old superstitions and get rather upset if unable to purchase/consume their "alternative medicine".
Frauds and markets for fraudulent merchandise has allowed for trade in things that do not exist, sure, and the market for products that claim to improve sexual performance seems to be almost limitless regardless of safety or whether they actually have any effect (e.g. nail clippings equivalent consumption, and blue pills with unknown contents from Honest Joe's web shop). I'm sure there have been tyrants who have had their underlings beheaded because they've been unable to acquire magical artifacts (as well as those that have acquired frauds so poorly made that even desperately gullible tyrants have been able to see through them). It can be noted, however, that even these people were not after the fantastic culinary properties, but rather the purported magical ones (for a culinary real world example, you should rather look towards Japanese blow fish consumption, [fugu, if I remember the name correctly], where I suspect a significant part of the "experience" comes from adrenaline, or the historical competitions in acquiring the most exotic or expensive food possible, where taste probably was very secondary to the social dung heap competition [do lark tongues have a distinct taste?]). However, in a fortress context only the monarch and the top nobles should be eligible for such behavior (and we already have murdering of random dorfs when [impossible to meet] mandates are not met).

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 02:06:05 pm »

What if make toads hiveable and produce leather and meat?