Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shared bedroom stuff on ground  (Read 3542 times)

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shared bedroom stuff on ground
« on: September 14, 2019, 09:57:24 pm »

So my fortress has one giant overlapping bedroom for efficiency. With 200+ dwarves, essentially everyone now has a Royal bedroom.

The downside... is that there is a stupid amount of crap the dwarves leave on the ground. It's madness. See the photo.

I tried adding cabinets, but the dwarves end up in loops where they put things into and then throw them out, over and over. Anyone have a solution?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
Re: Shared bedroom stuff on ground
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 12:21:44 am »

So my fortress has one giant overlapping bedroom for efficiency. With 200+ dwarves, essentially everyone now has a Royal bedroom.

The downside... is that there is a stupid amount of crap the dwarves leave on the ground. It's madness. See the photo.

I tried adding cabinets, but the dwarves end up in loops where they put things into and then throw them out, over and over. Anyone have a solution?

As far as I’m aware, there is no solution to this particular problem. It really, really sucks, especially when you have masterwork cabinets to add in, but it causes that awful feedback loop.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 01:59:00 am »

Once a dorf puts the first thing into a cabinet it appears it implicitly becomes his. Other dorfs in the shared bedroom still put things into the cabinet in their bedroom, but then immediately removes them as they somehow detect that it isn't theirs, only to immediately get a job to put the thing that was put in and removed into the cabinet...

Note that married dorfs share cabinets with their spouses without issues, but you shouldn't place any cabinet in a marriage encouragement suite...

You either have to live with cluttered floors, shift to private bedrooms, or somehow train them to be comfortable walking around naked.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 02:13:13 pm »

I have this theory that if I put enough cabinets in, each dwarf will claim one and everything will work out.

Unfortunately my save has reached "crash every half hour" stage so I'm not going to be able to continue with it.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 03:03:29 pm »

You either have to live with cluttered floors, shift to private bedrooms, or somehow train them to be comfortable walking around naked.

Or issue each overlapped room a non-overlapped cabinet (use a door set as "internal" when defining one single room, with a private cabinet behind). Or stick the cabinets in individual non-bed-rooms (e.g. statue gardens). Or rig up some automated cruft disposal system (e.g. pressure plate > linked grate > cabinet, with a linked hatch cover over the cabinet. Dwarf stores trash in cabinet, dumping out other dwarves' trash. Pressure plate activates, opening hatch and grate, dropping water on cabinet and flushing trash down below grate. Pressure plate resets, and process repeats as needed.). Or just use DFHack to free and dump the cast-off clothing.

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 04:10:12 pm »

These are interesting solutions! I like them. The statue garden is an interesting idea and   I may try that. Or individually assigned graves. That's right Urist, store your clothing next to your coffin muahahaha

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 04:33:23 pm »

You can't flush things out of built buildings afaik, but you can burn things in it with magma (if you want to drop it from above, might want to build the cabinet on temporarily-constructed floor over downstairs).

That still gets you hauling loop, though. Also should it set them on fire there will be smoke, potentially leading to bad thoughts, which defeats somewhat the mood purpose of clothes. Old ‼well‼ designs for ensuring dwarf isn't in when magma is pumped could be repurposed here.

You can make the shared bedroom floor "take items from links, no links" refuse pile as they'll only drop clothes when better ones are available or they're too rotten, albeit this won't do anything to clothes left on beds. This will also destroy armor that is dropped on it when your military upgrades mid-bedroom, though (maybe separate armor stockpile that takes from it would prevent some of that).

Coffin solution is somewhat micromanagey, but it still lists who doesn't have a grave iirc, so it's convenient if you already want to store their earthly belongings inside their grave mound once they die. Make sure you have room for additional cabinets though; some dwarves will overfill a single cabinet.