Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the weakest possible syndrome.  (Read 3125 times)

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
What is the weakest possible syndrome.
« on: September 09, 2019, 10:26:11 pm »

Forgotten Beast syndromes fascinate me. I was wondering if it is possible to run into randomly generated syndromes that just aren't that powerful. What is the weakest syndrome you have ever seen?
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the weakest possible syndrome.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 05:23:53 am »

The weakest were the ones I didn't see an effect from... so I have no idea what they did. :p
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 10:17:17 pm »

I run into that a lot too. I think the fb's syndromes are being generated with an activation condition it's special attack can't meet. That deadly dust might cause severe full-body hemorrhaging, but if it needs to be injected and the beast can only spray a cloud of it around, there's no real danger to it.
I wouldn't call those syndromes weak, it's just the fb isn't using them properly. You can't say salsa isn't spicy if all you do is rub it into your skin like lotion.

I'd say the weakest generated syndrome I ever encountered was the liquid spray attack of a giant skinless horse. It activated on contact, but all it did was cause mild dizziness. IIRC the resulting loss of speed turned out to be less than what adventurers suffer when drunk. So in essence I fought a giant zombie horse capable of projectile vomiting cheep beer at its victims. How such an abomination managed to wipe out a dwarven fortress is beyond me.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 02:11:09 am »

Well I mean... it was a giant zombie horse. Those things are nasty!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 08:19:05 am »

Well I mean... it was a giant zombie horse. Those things are nasty!

'Nasty' is a winged titanoboa made of silver that farts a cloud of knockout gas with every slither it takes.
A chunky shire horse that got carried away with a loofah and pukes a substance with roughly the same effects as that stuff your species has a chemical dependency on is just... gross, I guess?

Second weakest syndrome I've ever seen goes to the sting of a plains titan I threw a human at way back when. A titan-sized one-eyed wasp, its venom caused pain, swelling, and blisters. So just a particularly spicy bee sting. Thing is, when the stinger it's coming from is as big as a human forearm, weak venom is less of an issue and more of a middle finger added on top of a forearm-sized stinger embedded in your chest. Quite fitting for a giant wasp, really. Size dilutes the venom but not the malice.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.