Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Well, that's an oddity... Dwarven has no accented letters?  (Read 6052 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well, that's an oddity... Dwarven has no accented letters?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 02:16:18 pm »

Neither of the links work as ways to display anything useful. An early sanity check is to use the "Preview" option (rather than "Post"). If the preview doesn't work it probably doesn't for anyone else, while a correct display doesn't really prove anything.

As stated DF does NOT use ANSI, ASCII, or UTF-8: it uses the code page specified. It's not uncommon for editors and transfer programs to "correct" things into a common format its superior intelligence is the one you want. I'd only trust file transfer (to some degree) if the files are not recognized as "text" by the transfer software, so zipping it before transferring might be a safer option, although just changing the suffix to something the OS' don't recognize might work (such as .hkjdkfja, i.e. a more or less random set of characters).

My Notepad++ thinks language_DWARF.txt is ANSII, and does display non ANSI characters weirdly (APPLE is the first one). It does not have any Encoding option for the DF code page, but I wouldn't be surprised if searching the net may provide one.

However, if you provide the correct hex code in the correct place, Notepad++ won't display it as intended, but unless it discards codes it doesn't like the correct code should still end up in the file and then DF.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »

They display perfectly well for me... :-\
Anyway, I don't seem to be able to enter the hex character that DF represents as, say, ú, because that particular character is displayed as "ú" by both the CP437 page on Wikipedia and the character table page on the DF Wiki. Thus, I cannot copy-paste the hex code character because the character on both the CP437 Wikipedia page and the DF Wiki character table page return these, which look the same: ú ú; CP437 on Wikipedia, DF Wiki character table page.
Oh. Hmm... maybe those are different characters after all?
Oh and, for my NP++, the first non-standard character is "„". Hey, wait, that displayed as a generic solid square-ish character in NP++... maybe it's my Courier font with the theme in use at time of posting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:29:02 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 03:39:28 pm »

According to https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437, the hex code for à is "00E0". DF's character table page appears to modify that to "E0" for its à, yet since the character à appears to be the same number (133) on both pages, what could be my problem? I can't just copy-and-paste the à from either page into my raw file(s) and expect it to work, can I? After all, it looks the same as entering à via "Alt (held) + Num0-Num2-Num2-Num4" or "Alt (held) + Num1-Num3-Num3" (these are Alt+numpad key combinations for entering the character à).

"à" is 85hex (or 133dec) in CP437 (use lines and columns), 00E0hex is the unicode code point.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:42:36 pm by Clément »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 03:51:53 pm »

So then, how would I get any average text editor to enter 85hex? Or any hex character for that matter?

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 04:19:35 pm »

The average text editor? Sorry, I don't know this one. More seriously, I don't think there is a way that will work everywhere.

I could try to explain how to do it with vim, if you want, but I don't think it is your favorite text editor. I'll let the notepad++ experts help you instead.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2019, 06:49:06 pm »

ú ú; CP437 on Wikipedia, DF Wiki character table page.
Both of those are the same - C3BA in hex.
I ran print('\xe0') in Python and got this: �
That would probably show up correctly in DF if you can paste it in. I would expect Alt+133 or Alt+0133 to work too, although they might display strangely in Notepad++.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2019, 10:39:27 pm »

Neither of the links work as ways to display anything useful.

I suspect that this is because you (like me) are not a discord member and that they are tracking which members access which images.  Anyway, I agree that this is not a good way to post images for public viewing.  ;)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 11:39:47 am »

Yeah sorry about that. On the plus side however, the NP++ community did have an answer for me - looks like I can enter non-UTF8 characters after all, via NP++'s Character Panel option in the Edit drop-down list at the top of the interface.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:42:23 am by IncompetentFortressMaker »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 05:17:05 pm »

Hmm... plançon à picot now displays as "planΓÇíon ΓǺ picot". I have traded one oddity for another, it seems, after replacing ç and à with their hex character replacements. Γ is as close as I could get to the displayed symbol, which looks pretty much like the symbol used to denote object weight. º is as close as I could get to the displayed symbol, which looks like the one used for dark pits in worldgen worldview/legends worldmap/embark screen for fort mode/worldmap for adventurer mode.

EDIT:
Well, turns out the encoding was the issue. Note to any other modder that comes across this thread: If your language has accented letters in word translations, the UTF-8 default encoding for .txt files will not work. ANSI will however.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:46:36 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »
Pages: 1 [2]