Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not fulfilling jobs  (Read 3748 times)

Chris1024

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves not fulfilling jobs
« on: September 16, 2019, 01:26:15 pm »

So I'm on my first fortress and I have two dwarves not doing their jobs, a furnace operator and a brewer. I have these labors enabled for them, have a furnace and a still and the necessary inputs (wood/empty barrel and plumb helmets) and have given those jobs via the workshop. I also don't think they're not willing to do them, since they are doing their other jobs if I enable them. Anything else I need to do?

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not fulfilling jobs
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:03:35 pm »

Do you link workshops to specific stock piles?  Try removing all links to stockpiles.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Chris1024

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:13:59 pm »

"Do you link workshops to specific stock piles?" No, haven't done that yet.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 02:17:57 pm »

- Stockpile links are dangerous to use, as mentioned, because there are so many ways to screw up (for a brewer it's common to have a stockpile link to plants/fruits, but not barrels, for instance).
- Pathing, i.e. can they move to both the workshops and the locations where the production input is stored? It's not uncommon that a channel operation broke the path to the surface, for instance.
- Workshop restrictions, blocking those having the job from performing it.
- Burrows, including workshop burrows, blocking dorfs from accessing all the required locations.

There are quite a few issues that can cause these sympthoms: the above are some of the more common ones.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 02:35:14 pm »

So I'm on my first fortress and I have two dwarves not doing their jobs, a furnace operator and a brewer. I have these labors enabled for them, have a furnace and a still and the necessary inputs (wood...)

Furnace operators don't operate wood furnaces. You want "Wood Burning" under the Farming menu.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 04:39:59 pm »

If nothing else works, build a new still workshop, 'q'uery it, 'a'dd a brew job, set that job to 'n'ow.

This should immediately trigger a dwarf to come over and start the job (providing you have a dwarf with the labor enabled and that dwarf is not asleep, eating/drinking, or resting in a hospital).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Urist McUristUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 07:08:05 am »

Check if your workshop profiles allow the dorfs to work there.