Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [47.05 / 50.xx] Ceramics Expanded  (Read 4640 times)

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[47.05 / 50.xx] Ceramics Expanded
« on: July 15, 2022, 08:57:14 pm »

Ceramics Expanded

[47.05] DFFD: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16002

[50.xx] Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2900812455
[50.xx] DFFD: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16277

This mod expands the ceramic industry, allowing your dwarves to access more sources of clay, make more items out of ceramics, and use more materials for glazing with a wide variety of colours, depending on what resources are available at the embark.

Note: This mod will mark several non-economic stones as economic, so make sure to check your Stones standing orders if you're wondering why certain stones aren't getting used.

Glazes

Glazes are made using the Pottery skill at a Kiln, though the process doesn't require fuel in most cases, producing them in stacks of four bars per job.  These glaze bars can then be used in the normal glazing jobs.  Glaze bars are stored in Bar/Block stockpiles under Metal bars, except ash bars which remain in Other.

The primary three glaze types are Ash, Lead, and Salt, each of which can produce different colours when mixed with various minerals.  Ash is just regular wood ash, lead glaze is made using galena (not lead metal), and salt glaze is made using rock salt.  There is also Bismuth glaze (using bismuthite), and Bone Ash glaze which is the only one that requires fuel to produce, since you need to calcinate animal bones.  More information on glaze components can be found in the readme.txt file.

By whatever means, dwarves have a chance to recover some silver when making galena-containing glazes.  They're dwarves.  No guarantee that the colours of these glazes aren't completely ridiculous.  Holy cow glaze chemistry is complicated.  I haven't touched oxidation/reduction firing yet, either.  Don't judge me. :(

More Ceramic Items

More objects can be made out of ceramics: beds, coffins, display cases, flasks, mugs, pedestals, slabs, table, and thrones.  Each makes one item per clay boulder, except mugs which are produced in sets of three.

Bone Porcelain

A new type of ceramic can be produced, a translucent bone porcelain (aka "bone china") that is slightly more valuable than regular porcelain. This uses a clay that must be manufactured at a kiln using bone ash, fire clay or kaolinite, and microcline or orthoclase rock. The resulting bone porcelain clay can then be used as normal.

Clay Refining (47.05 Only)

Marginal clay soils (sandy clay loam and silty clay loam) can now be gathered using the "Collect clay" job at a Kiln.  These can't actually be used for ceramics until they are refined*, again at a Kiln using the Pottery skill, converting them into sandy or silty clay.

* One slight issue, unrefined marginal clays can be used in "Make instrument/instrument part" jobs, and will consume resources, but won't result in an item.  So if you're making instrument parts, keep that kiln well away from your unrefined clay stockpile, or better yet, refine all your clay first.

Installation (50.xx)
  • Download using the Workshop, or from DFFD and extract the ceramics_expanded folder and place it in Dwarf Fortress\mods.
  • Generate a new world!
Compatibility (50.xx)

This mod replaces the vanilla clay item reactions—clay bricks, crafts, hives, jugs, large pots, and statues—and their corresponding glazing reactions. Anything else that modifies these will likely conflict.

Installation (47.05)

Please see the included readme.txt file for installation instructions.

Compatibility (47.05)

This mod replaces the following default raws:
    entity_default.txt
    inorganic_other.txt
    inorganic_stone_mineral.txt
    inorganic_stone_soil.txt
    reaction_other.txt
WARNING! THIS MOD CHANGES HOW THE GAME HANDLES CLAY AS A RAW MATERIAL!(0.47.05 Only)

This mod may break any other custom reactions that refer to MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:FIRED_MAT (ie. anything that uses clay).
   If issues occur with other custom reactions, replace all their references to FIRED_MAT with CR_KILN_MAT.

Changelog (50.xx):
  • V1.06 Added missing glaze bed reaction; prevented glaze materials being used to make artifacts in worldgen.
  • v1.05 Corrected display case and pedestal being made of wrong material; added ceramic beds.
  • v1.04 Corrected bone porcelain clay reaction to allow player to choose materials.
  • v1.03 Bone porcelain clay can now also use fire clay (instead of kaolinite) and microcline (instead of orthoclase) as reagents (thanks, Evaris!).  It also now requires two bars of bone ash.
  • v1.02 Added descriptions for each reaction listing its requirements (these don't yet work in v50 though); changed glaze making jobs to use GLAZING skill.
  • v1.01 Fixed error message relating to TIN_GLAZE.
  • v1.0  Initial release.
Changelog (47.05):
  • v1.04 Prevented glaze materials being used to make artifacts in worldgen.
  • v1.03 Bone porcelain clay can now also use fire clay (instead of kaolinite) and microcline (instead of orthoclase) as reagents (thanks, Evaris!).  It also now requires two bars of bone ash.
  • v1.02 Added descriptions for each reaction listing its requirements; changed glaze making jobs to use GLAZING skill.
  • v1.01 I forgot the pedestals.  Added pedestals.
  • v1.0  Initial release.

Released under Creative Commons CC BY 4.0
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:40:38 pm by Qev »

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Ceramics Expanded
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 01:02:18 am »

Hotfixed to v1.01 - I forgot the pedestals!  Clay pedestals added.

toty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 02:10:08 am »

Great mod, thank you

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 03:53:04 pm »

Great mod, thank you
Thanks for trying it out!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

MalevolentAura

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 03:50:50 pm »

This is a wonderful mod! Is there any possibility of porting some of the ceramic items to the new steam/premium version? I always found it a bit silly that you couldn't make mugs or pedestals out of clay in vanilla DF.

Edit: I quickly made a rough mod on the workshop that added some of the items this mod adds. I didn't know that editing RAW files could be this fun!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 01:38:40 pm by MalevolentAura »

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 03:12:18 am »

This is a wonderful mod! Is there any possibility of porting some of the ceramic items to the new steam/premium version? I always found it a bit silly that you couldn't make mugs or pedestals out of clay in vanilla DF.

Edit: I quickly made a rough mod on the workshop that added some of the items this mod adds. I didn't know that editing RAW files could be this fun!
Yup, I saw you mention that over on the Kitfox Discord! :)

Finally broke down and got Steamium, so now Ceramics Expanded is over there, too.  Currently, that version is lacking the "marginal soils refining" component as a) it really doesn't play nicely with instruments, and b) clay isn't that hard to find.  :D

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05 / 50.01] Ceramics Expanded
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 11:17:18 pm »

I went through and added descriptions to each of the reactions so it would show what ore/rock is needed to make the glaze. I found that I wanted to know what it would cost me to make it without having to wait for the dwarf to bring the boulders to the kiln, and that seemed like the thing to do. The DESCRIPTION tag "of the reaction that appears when it is highlighted in the building UI," according to this page on the wiki. However, nothing shows up in v50. I was excited to share the work, maybe save you some effort, but it appears there is no "Helpful Hint box" in this version. Anyway, great job with the mod!

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05 / 50.01] Ceramics Expanded
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 05:51:14 am »

I went through and added descriptions to each of the reactions so it would show what ore/rock is needed to make the glaze. I found that I wanted to know what it would cost me to make it without having to wait for the dwarf to bring the boulders to the kiln, and that seemed like the thing to do. The DESCRIPTION tag "of the reaction that appears when it is highlighted in the building UI," according to this page on the wiki. However, nothing shows up in v50. I was excited to share the work, maybe save you some effort, but it appears there is no "Helpful Hint box" in this version. Anyway, great job with the mod!
That's an excellent idea!  It doesn't look like the Steam premium UI supports mouse-over pop-ups for the DESCRIPTION token yet, you're right.  But I'll toss some descriptions in there in hopes of the future, and update the 0.47.05 version as well.  I'm glad you enjoy the mod!

Now if only we can get support for glaze material colours to show up on the in-game graphics...  :D

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05 / 50.xx] Ceramics Expanded
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 04:41:04 pm »

Here you go, if you want a first draft to use.

Hopefully v50 gets description sheets, and also better control over display options for items!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 02:30:16 pm by Bihlbo »

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 03:38:15 am »

Quick update to v1.04 for 50.xx and v1.03 for 47.05: more options to produce bone porcelain.  Fire clay can now be used in place of kaolinite, and microcline can be used in place of orthoclase.  Also now requires two bars of bone ash instead of one.

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 08:06:58 pm »

Small update to v1.05 to fix a liiiiittle error in the material being output when making ceramic display cases and pedestals.  Also, ceramic beds are back in v50.xx.

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 07:42:52 pm »

Fixed a goofy thing where people were making artifacts out of glaze during worldgen.  Also added missing reaction to glaze beds in v50.